ATX Community

TRX 2012 Problems

Don in Upstate NY

Has anyone gotten the Proforma (convert last year's returns) to work? Following the manual pages 17 thru 21 I get a blank list of returns to convert. No error messages, just no returns showing. I used TRXPro (TaxWorks) last season so my browse screen looks similiar to figure 2.9, except of course the TY10s are now TY11s.

Don EA in Upstate NY

Has anyone gotten the Proforma (convert last year's returns) to work? Following the manual pages 17 thru 21 I get a blank list of returns to convert. No error messages, just no returns showing. I used TRXPro (TaxWorks) last season so my browse screen looks similiar to figure 2.9, except of course the TY10s are now TY11s.

Don EA in Upstate NY

Don if you are havig problems on the proforma call into support on Monday and we will take care of any issues, I have personally checked this proforma and it is really great but you know sometimes under different enviroments of our computers things are little different. Also the Corporate proforma will not be available until Jan 11th, but it is coming.

Thanks

Doug

I just received the software this morning and proceeded to load it. It would not load from the cd so I improvised and copied the files to a temp file and ultimately it loaded.

I encounteded the same problem as Don did in that the converted files did not appear. I reloaded the files using the proforma utility and they appeared.

In addition within the first return I found the following issues.

Failed conversions? All of my complex and multiple states didn't convert.

Can't locate any state software?

No training videos and/or manuals available at this time?

Forms peek displays 2011 blank forms?

In addition there are no forms 1041, 706, 709, 990 or 5500? Allof these forms were available with TaxWorks?

You would think that under the circumstances of lack of trust issues with TRX they would man the telephones at least today! No such luck.

If this is what Doug Hughes insists is much better than TaxWorks, I must be missing something?

I do hope that these assues are resolved easily and amicably as my patience with this homegrown product is waring thin.

Mike Dubin CPA

I am getting a little weary of this product as well. My home state (MA) is unavailable and still in development. Also, I did not see NH on the list of state returns. Although the state doesn't have a personal income tax, it does have taxes on dividends and interest at a certain threshold. Additionally, there is a corporate tax.

I had the same problem that many of last years files did not come over. I finally went to Use Return Maint and clicked on ReIndex and it brought up most of the 1040 files, but no business returns. The headings for the file listing under "spouse" is taxpayers last name. I could not rename the headings or resort the columnar order. Many other problems.

1. Sec 179 depreciation does not calcuate. Depreciation input layout not well structured.

2. Not 1099 INT or DIV input forms-only 1099R is available.

3. Bus code input on Sch C gives erroneous error message. Codes are very incomplete.

4. Many erroneous error messages. Joint return SSNs inputed,but system not recognizing, requesting EIN for sole practitoner, ect.

5. None of the Libraries are available-nothing carried over.

6. None of the letters have carried over--engagement letters, privacy letters, transmittal letters-no guideance provided for setting these up

7. No online help menu.

8. No state software.

9. No tech support available till Monday. Still no support on Fridays at this time.

This product is not much of an improvement over the Demo I evaluated this summer. I sure hope they get their act together with quick fixes on the updates-and soon!

Art

I called yesterday and they said the States should be available by the end of the year as well as the business modules. Im in Pa which also has Local taxing authorities and they said that would also be included with the States. So I assume that is a reason that States arent showing up in Pro Formaed returns

The program loaded fine with no issues on Windows Vista Home Premium even though the manual said it wasnt supported.

Doing a Pro Forma with mutiple returns didnt work out well for me and although it said they completed they didnt appear under "Open Return" However doing one pro forma at a time did work. I may have to reProforma after the states are available

The Peek window shows a 2011 form as mentioned and doesnt fit the form to the screen as in the training video on the website.

Ive played around a bit so far and it seems workable at this point. Hopefully it will be more polished with updates and States/Business forms becoming available.

I have some issues to ask tech support but I am waiting to get them all together over the next week or so.

At this point it is better than I expected and I am giving them the benefit of the doubt to try and work with this new product. All products were new at one time.

Crossing my fingers.

John

I just received the software this morning and proceeded to load it. It would not load from the cd so I improvised and copied the files to a temp file and ultimately it loaded.

I encounteded the same problem as Don did in that the converted files did not appear. I reloaded the files using the proforma utility and they appeared.

In addition within the first return I found the following issues.

Failed conversions? All of my complex and multiple states didn't convert.

Can't locate any state software?

No training videos and/or manuals available at this time?

Forms peek displays 2011 blank forms?

In addition there are no forms 1041, 706, 709, 990 or 5500? Allof these forms were available with TaxWorks?

You would think that under the circumstances of lack of trust issues with TRX they would man the telephones at least today! No such luck.

If this is what Doug Hughes insists is much better than TaxWorks, I must be missing something?

I do hope that these assues are resolved easily and amicably as my patience with this homegrown product is waring thin.

Mike Dubin CPA

Mike the training videos are on the CD along with the manual if you will take the time and look at the front of the DVD case it will tell you this. The members website has a complete list of tutorials along with Videos so you are very wrong in making statements once again. I know you said you do 50 returns and that is why you want to stay with TRX because of the price but If you want to wait and purchase RedGear when it comes out January 1st with their new product that is your choice.

1. The States are not out yet but the will be in the next couple weeks, "JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER SOFTWARE COMPANY"

2. No we are not open today but we are open Monday thru Friday 8 am till 7 pm. "We increased our hours for tax season just as you and many others asked" We have also tried to contact you thru the week but you mostly do not answer the phone or your son answers, so we are trying to satisfy you.

3. The reason the Forms peek shows the 2011 forms is simple, until the IRS gives us the final version we leave it 2011 so we & you know it is updated when it says 2012.

4. The 990 & 1041's will be available later around late Feburary or early March the other forms will follow after that.

You know Mike I looked back at the emails you sent me when we switch from ATX/TaxWise to TaxWorks and you said these same things so the trust statement was very insulting coming from you.

Doug Hughes

I called yesterday and they said the States should be available by the end of the year as well as the business modules. Im in Pa which also has Local taxing authorities and they said that would also be included with the States. So I assume that is a reason that States arent showing up in Pro Formaed returns

The program loaded fine with no issues on Windows Vista Home Premium even though the manual said it wasnt supported.

Doing a Pro Forma with mutiple returns didnt work out well for me and although it said they completed they didnt appear under "Open Return" However doing one pro forma at a time did work. I may have to reProforma after the states are available

The Peek window shows a 2011 form as mentioned and doesnt fit the form to the screen as in the training video on the website.

Ive played around a bit so far and it seems workable at this point. Hopefully it will be more polished with updates and States/Business forms becoming available.

I have some issues to ask tech support but I am waiting to get them all together over the next week or so.

At this point it is better than I expected and I am giving them the benefit of the doubt to try and work with this new product. All products were new at one time.

Crossing my fingers.

John

John thank you for your comments and I will check out why your not getting the same look as the video in the peek mode, however it maybe your resolution you monitor is set at check that. Get your list together and give us a call and we will do our best to make sure you are 100% satisfied. Thanks for trusting us enough to give us the benefit of the doubt and love your statement "All products were new at one time". Also through out the tax season make notes on any changes we need to make for next years because without people like yourself we cannot make this the best product on the market.

Sincerely,

Doug Hughes

Doug,

I'm sorry you feel that way, however I have previously used 9 different tax software products over my career and to date I have never encountered as many immediate issues with any of them until now.

You have previously on more than one occasion boasted that your software is better than TaxWorks and therefore we should all trust you, well I don't wish to be a Doubting Thomas but I am not yet impressed!

Many of your responses to these issues take place in the future. I for one do not wish to beta test any software during the tax season.

I will however give you the benefit of the doubt and discuss my issues with customer service and let you know if they are addressed and resolved.

For the record, it appears that I am not alone as to the issues with your software, so please address your responses to the entire group who appear share my concerns.

Thanks

Mike Dubin CPA

I had the same problem that many of last years files did not come over. I finally went to Use Return Maint and clicked on ReIndex and it brought up most of the 1040 files, but no business returns. The headings for the file listing under "spouse" is taxpayers last name. I could not rename the headings or resort the columnar order. Many other problems.

1. Sec 179 depreciation does not calcuate. Depreciation input layout not well structured.

2. Not 1099 INT or DIV input forms-only 1099R is available.

3. Bus code input on Sch C gives erroneous error message. Codes are very incomplete.

4. Many erroneous error messages. Joint return SSNs inputed,but system not recognizing, requesting EIN for sole practitoner, ect.

5. None of the Libraries are available-nothing carried over.

6. None of the letters have carried over--engagement letters, privacy letters, transmittal letters-no guideance provided for setting these up

7. No online help menu.

8. No state software.

9. No tech support available till Monday. Still no support on Fridays at this time.

This product is not much of an improvement over the Demo I evaluated this summer. I sure hope they get their act together with quick fixes on the updates-and soon!

Art

Thanks Art

1. On the Section 179 I will have to check with our tax team ,but keep in mind this is version 0.0 on the CD, you should have been promted to update to V0.2 if you have not do that.

2. These forms are coming in updates over the next few days.

3. The Business Codes are furnished by the IRS, however these maybe different than the legacy forms remember we are now 100% MeF. The Reject Acknowledgements are going to be different than legacy too, they are much better detailed.

4. Make sure you have updated and any these that are system errors will be fixed over the next few days.

5. What are you refering to as Libraries and I will address this and get this taken care of.

6. I know you can go up to utilities and go to custom letters and create anything you want, you can even copy and paste your previous letters. It is really good it is a lot like MS Word.

7. It is coming in the next few days as we are waiting to get the updates from the IRS

8. States will be available over the next couple weeks.

9. We are available on Fridays for Tech Support until 5pm cst. We are going to be extending our hours in the next few weeks as requested by many of you guys.

The updates are coming daily however usually on Mondays is our big update day.

Sincerely

Doug Hughes

I am getting a little weary of this product as well. My home state (MA) is unavailable and still in development. Also, I did not see NH on the list of state returns. Although the state doesn't have a personal income tax, it does have taxes on dividends and interest at a certain threshold. Additionally, there is a corporate tax.

Hello Magy?

MA will be available very soon for Individual and Corporate we are actually waiting on MA to release the final Schema for MeF and they will over the next week or two.

Thanks you for your support,

Doug Hughes

What about NH? Will you have this state available as well?

We will have it available but we are still waiting on the Schema's from the states for the MeF, Alot of the non Individual States that do not have income tax take longer to get their schema's out to us most of these are still accustomed to the traditiaional; Legacy which is going away

Doug

John thank you for your comments and I will check out why your not getting the same look as the video in the peek mode, however it maybe your resolution you monitor is set at check that. Get your list together and give us a call and we will do our best to make sure you are 100% satisfied. Thanks for trusting us enough to give us the benefit of the doubt and love your statement "All products were new at one time". Also through out the tax season make notes on any changes we need to make for next years because without people like yourself we cannot make this the best product on the market.

Sincerely,

Doug Hughes

Doug,

I will make a list of improvements and suggestions for next season. Im sures other will too. It appears to me that you are committed to making this product a viable contender in the tax prep market. It's commendable that you are personally responding to people's comments / concerns here on this forum. Im hoping that it works out well for this season and hopefully in the future. If it does we all stand to benefit. You becasue of a new product and the users here for getting a good value for future tax seasons with TRXs price guaranty.

John

I, too, hope TaxExact lives up to it's potential. It's far and away the most affordable option out there, for sure. (Assuming it actually does all that it says it's capable of! And does it correctly.)

However, the recent high level of communication and information flow from TRX has NOT been the norm, and I don't think anyone here should expect it to continue. Over the course of the past year, most of my attempts at communication (email or phone calls for information, detailed requests for product features/enhancements, etc.) received no response at all. If my recent posts on this forum have been antagonistic, that's why.

Maybe y'all will have better luck than I did. But I need evidence of better business practices overall from TRX before I'll be willing to trust TaxExact as my tax preparation software.

I, too, hope TaxExact lives up to it's potential. It's far and away the most affordable option out there, for sure. (Assuming it actually does all that it says it's capable of! And does it correctly.)

However, the recent high level of communication and information flow from TRX has NOT been the norm, and I don't think anyone here should expect it to continue. Over the course of the past year, most of my attempts at communication (email or phone calls for information, detailed requests for product features/enhancements, etc.) received no response at all. If my recent posts on this forum have been antagonistic, that's why.

Maybe y'all will have better luck than I did. But I need evidence of better business practices overall from TRX before I'll be willing to trust TaxExact as my tax preparation software.

Matt 7 years ago I did income tax returns just like you and now I have two sets of income tax software I have developed to help people just like yourself continue to do business without the high cost of the other software companies, I have had my contract pulled from ATX and TaxWise after a battle that cost me several hundred thousands of dollars because I was giving you ATX at a highly reduced price. I told myself then that I would no longer let a software comapny do that to me again or do it to you again, that is why I have spent every penny I could get to develop our own software and allow you to purchase it at 70% off the norm. We filed 50,000 tax returns through this software last tax season in our Beta test sucessfully so Matt give it a rest or for that matter go develop your own software it should be easy you seem to already have all the answers. I hope your whole life is not a half empty glass, I asure you the reward is much better looking at the glass that is half full.

Matt I have kids that read the bad things that you have said about me on here along with my grandchildren I hope this makes your life complete since now you know I am human just as you are, Merry Christmas Doug

Doug,

I'm sorry you feel that way, however I have previously used 9 different tax software products over my career and to date I have never encountered as many immediate issues with any of them until now.

You have previously on more than one occasion boasted that your software is better than TaxWorks and therefore we should all trust you, well I don't wish to be a Doubting Thomas but I am not yet impressed!

Many of your responses to these issues take place in the future. I for one do not wish to beta test any software during the tax season.

I will however give you the benefit of the doubt and discuss my issues with customer service and let you know if they are addressed and resolved.

For the record, it appears that I am not alone as to the issues with your software, so please address your responses to the entire group who appear share my concerns.

Thanks

Mike Dubin CPA

Mike the entire group does not appear to all have the same concerns so I have chosen to direct my answers to the person making the questions. I will have to say if you have used that many software companies before I am not sure I will ever be able to please you since it appears no one else every has, but looking at the glass half full I must be doing something right you been with me several years now. Merry Christmas, Doug

PS. Did you find the training video and the manual that was on the disc, I hope so it is really pretty good. If not here is the You Tube of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqAXOP8VQ2A you can change the quality by going to 1080p HD

Doug,

I've never said I wasn't willing to give TaxExact a try. The demo of TaxExact that's available online is seriously inferior to the 2011 TaxWorks product, but those issues may have been solved in the 2012 product. I don't know, I haven't had a chance to try it since there's no demo version freely available. (I admit, the training video above looks good, but without having a full demo version to play around with, I can't know the full functionality.) If you want to send me a link to download the 2012 software, I'm happy to try it. Or is the 2012 demo now available on the website? I'll take a look.

What's been missing all along is communication. If you want me to buy TaxExact for the upcoming tax season, I need to know that TRX is going to treat me well as a customer. TRX worked out well for me for the 2010 and 2011 tax seasons; I'll be the first to admit that. But the communication I've received from TRX over the past 8 months has been sorely lacking.

You probably don't want me as a customer at this point, which is fine! But on my end, I've always been open to the possibility. In fact, I applaud you for trying to provide professional software at a price that small-scale tax preparers like myself can afford. What I still reject is the idea that you can switch software packages on customers without offering us a refund. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't be willing to buy and use TaxExact; it just means that I think the refund of my renewal fees and the purchase of TaxExact need to be separate steps. I'm not going to be pushed into using TaxExact.

That's it, Doug. I've never attacked you personally here. (In fact, I've never even referred to you by name, except as a response to a comment that you've signed your name onto.) What I've said all along is that TRX needs to treat its customers fairly. Really, go back and look at all my posts - click on "MattOR" and then click on "Posts". You won't see anything that could be considered a personal attack.

- Matt

I haven't read through all of these (too much drama) but after doing the individual Pro-Forma, it appears the returns aren't converted. But if you go to Return Maintenance and hit Reindex - they populate. I'm missing a handful of returns that didn't slide over, hoping with the updates after the new year that will happen. Weird how one didn't transfer and it's a very simiple return. I'll review if things were missing on the conversion throughout the week.

edit: appears none of their tax data came through.

I haven't read through all of these (too much drama) but after doing the individual Pro-Forma, it appears the returns aren't converted. But if you go to Return Maintenance and hit Reindex - they populate. I'm missing a handful of returns that didn't slide over, hoping with the updates after the new year that will happen. Weird how one didn't transfer and it's a very simiple return. I'll review if things were missing on the conversion throughout the week.

edit: appears none of their tax data came through.

Thanks for clearing that up. We designed it so that unless you reindex the last years returns do not show up until you enter their SSN's this way if they were not to return then you did not pull them forward. This would allow you to market back to these people to see where they are at.

We are making some tweaks to the conversion now, even though they are never perfect we want to be as close as possible.

Thanks Doug Hughes

My Proforma Problem Identified

It appears that although last years TRXPro (TaxWorks) allowed you to store your data files anywhere you wanted (e.g. on an encrypted drive or a thumb drive), the 2012 proforma function will only work if the returns were on the C: drive. If you had multiple returns for the same person in different folders (e.g. an original return and an amended one) they will both be shown on the proforma list with no way to distinguish which is which.

Having the proforma list sorted by "Full Name" (meaning by first name) is somewhat useless.

Thanks to Beatrice in tech support for working this out with me.

Yes, I too thought the proforma format was difficult since it didnt allow you to sort by last name, but instead sorted by the one field that included both first and last name. For example Alice Zettlemoyer appears under the "A" section of the sort. It would be more usefull to create a field for the first name and a field for the last name so Alice Zettlemoyer would appear in the "Z" section of the list when sorting by last names.

I too have two returns for clients that were amended and they both appear the same with no way to tell which is which.

It would be nice to be able to assign a number to a return as both TaxWorks and ATX do (and I assume others also).

Has anyone found a way to have a detail list for an individual field?

For example I create detail lists for "Property Taxes" so I can easily tell what makes up the number. For example School Property Taxes $XXX, County Property Taxes $XXX, City Property Taxes $XXX = the total thatg appears in the Property Tax field on Sch A.

Aslo has anyone found a way when using the calculator to have the total sent to a field? I highlight the field, open the calculator and preform the calculations and then have to manually input into the field. There is a "Send" button on the calculator but it remains grayed out.

Yes, I too thought the proforma format was difficult since it didnt allow you to sort by last name, but instead sorted by the one field that included both first and last name. For example Alice Zettlemoyer appears under the "A" section of the sort. It would be more usefull to create a field for the first name and a field for the last name so Alice Zettlemoyer would appear in the "Z" section of the list when sorting by last names.

I too have two returns for clients that were amended and they both appear the same with no way to tell which is which.

It would be nice to be able to assign a number to a return as both TaxWorks and ATX do (and I assume others also).

Has anyone found a way to have a detail list for an individual field?

For example I create detail lists for "Property Taxes" so I can easily tell what makes up the number. For example School Property Taxes $XXX, County Property Taxes $XXX, City Property Taxes $XXX = the total thatg appears in the Property Tax field on Sch A.

Aslo has anyone found a way when using the calculator to have the total sent to a field? I highlight the field, open the calculator and preform the calculations and then have to manually input into the field. There is a "Send" button on the calculator but it remains grayed out.

Explain more what you are talking about on the sorting so I understand, this way I can find out how we can get this done. I will get the send button opened on the Calculator so it will insert the total into the field.

Doug Hughes