ATX Community

TRX 2012 Problems

Don in Upstate NY

Hi Doug

When you attempt to proforma returns the name field is populated with the client's first and last name as one within the field so when you do a sort by clicking on the "Full Name" field header it sorts by the clients first name in the field. I sort by last name to find clients. I can't find a way to sort the list by the clients last name only,

Also after proformaing some returrns the "ProFormaed Returns" option under the "Utilities" menu remains blank. I assume is is supposed to show which returns have already been proformaed.

Also, is there any way to show which fields have been market as "estimate" so you can update them with the correct entery before filing the return? It would be nice to see these items in the "Error Check" list along with fields that have in "overridden" entry.

Also, I am unable to get the "File Cabinet" feature to recognize my stand alone "Cannon LiDE 110" scanner. It does however recognize the scanner feature on my much older all-in-one Brother ink jet printer.

Thanks

John

John, Today we made a couple of updates to the features: we added the price sheet so you can load your pricing, we also fixed the sort on the open client grid. their were a few other things but I am working on the conversion sort you asked for earlier. I will check on the Cannon Scanner for you too. Do you know if it is a Twain type? Doug PS Make sure you setup your default return under the utilities menu it makes it easy.

John,

I am trying to get the estimate flag put in the software that is a good idea. I am thinking that after you do auto error check I can put a button that says "incomplete" beside the MeF button that will mark the return so you know you have to go back and complete it later. Do you think this will work for what you are wanting?

John, thanks for giving me the opportunity make sure you are satisfied I can assure you we will give a 150% effort. I wish the others on here would do the same it just appears no matter what there are some that will never be happy. What most of them do not understand I have a Team of about 75 people working to make updates and we released our software early so everyone would get used to the look and feel which I love. I actually did a return this morning in less than a minute using the default return I created.

Also make sure you check for updates each day we are at version 0.0.3 as of today and I am still working on the Cannon Scanner.

Let me know, Doug

Doug,

The idea of a some kind of "incomplete" notification would be a good addition to the software. I use estimates often as I dont do returns while the client waits and I put in an estimates to let me know Im waiting for good numbers. Same with the "over ridden" field notification. Its always good to know if you have over ridden a calculated field, especially if you come back to the return at a much later date (like after its been filed) so you know why its not calculating what you think it should. Searching an entire return for an over ridden field can be a difficult and time consuming task so having it in the autocheck would definately help..

Thanks

John

EDIT: Im sorry, I was wrong - the software DOES list overridden items in the error check feature. I missed it.

• Like 1

Doug,

Does this software efile business return as well?. Last year even though it was mentioned that TaxExact will do business return efile but found out that it had issues. Did all the issues related with efiling resolved?

I used Taxworks last year, I'm willing to give a try to TaxExact this year.

Doug,

Does this software efile business return as well?. Last year even though it was mentioned that TaxExact will do business return efile but found out that it had issues. Did all the issues related with efiling resolved?

I used Taxworks last year, I'm willing to give a try to TaxExact this year.

Yes it does business efile. Last year was a beta test which went really well and we have added tons of new features and Business efile was one.

Thank you for your support,

Doug Hughes

Looking at a 1065 with rental properties - how do you add the assets to track depreciation?

The building of a rental property return for an LLC - wow this is not intuitive if this is what we are looking at going forward.

I will find out Jenni does this in her department so I will have to ask, but I think on the depreciation form at the top it has a button for the asset tracker where you can add there and it flows. But let me check to make sure. Doug

I will find out Jenni does this in her department so I will have to ask, but I think on the depreciation form at the top it has a button for the asset tracker where you can add there and it flows. But let me check to make sure. Doug

Assuming you are trying to add a 4562 to a 8825 the program will be able to allocate depreciation per property indicated a by a multiple number in the depreciation worksheet. The 4562 is being updated now. This is similar to the schedule E in the 1040. I hope this addresses your question if not let me know. Doug Hughes

Few things on my sample 1065:

1. I had to tell the program to produce a Schedule B-1. That should have been automatically produced and completed when I entered that information on another form. I entered into directly into the K-1 forms because I couldn't figure out any place else to imput the member data.

2. Form 4562 is supposed to be linked to form 8825. It's not an option. I'm sure that's being fixed but that's weird.

3. Whenever I try to use Form Peek - about 1/2 the time nothing shows up at all. The rest of the time it shows an empty tax form.

4. The depreciation worksheet is mystery to me. Every other software, when you add items to the asset listing - you are done. The worksheet is pretty much done. Here it appears nothing is transferring. I worked at it for 45 minutes and can't get any type of depreciation number to produce.

I gotta say Doug, I purchased Tax Exact many years ago and it's why I switched to TRX. It was a completely useless product that I couldn't finish a single return with. They literally never provided a working copy that I could finish a completed return with and ignored my emails after February 1st. As of right now, I'm not seeing that this is all that much better. It's better but wow this is difficult to work with.

I do 2 types of returns basically. Rental returns and returns for my investment clients.

Why on earth would the Schedule D require me to separate long term trades and enter them in one area and short term in another? Would wouldn't I enter that in one spot and the software figure it out? It's stuff like that, just boggles my mind that nobody considers this stuff.

The line identification in on the left. Entry on the right 7" apart. Thousands of little dotted lines separating them on my page. The software is obviously SUPPOSED to be able to move the side of the form to adjust the width - my software doesn't actually allow it. I have to open the peek form portion which can only be moved with the scroll bars even though the hand comes up saying I should be able to move it around with my mouse.

I gotta say Doug, I purchased Tax Exact many years ago and it's why I switched to TRX. It was a completely useless product that I couldn't finish a single return with. They literally never provided a working copy that I could finish a completed return with and ignored my emails after February 1st. As of right now, I'm not seeing that this is all that much better. It's better but wow this is difficult to work with.

I do 2 types of returns basically. Rental returns and returns for my investment clients.

Why on earth would the Schedule D require me to separate long term trades and enter them in one area and short term in another? Would wouldn't I enter that in one spot and the software figure it out? It's stuff like that, just boggles my mind that nobody considers this stuff.

The line identification in on the left. Entry on the right 7" apart. Thousands of little dotted lines separating them on my page. The software is obviously SUPPOSED to be able to move the side of the form to adjust the width - my software doesn't actually allow it. I have to open the peek form portion which can only be moved with the scroll bars even though the hand comes up saying I should be able to move it around with my mouse.

Hey how old is your computer and how much memory do you have? this is related to the peek the other stuff is being updated as we enter the updates on the forms. Hang in there you will love it when we are done and we will be done in plenty of time for you to get used to it. I really do appreciate your input.

Thanks,

Doug

Only tried it on my 1065 and a 1040. Print preview worked on the 1040 - complete failure on the 1065.

i tried doing the review of the return and it found no errors on my 1065. I'm here to tell you, there were tons of errors. I hadn't even entered a full SSN on a K-1.

Just wait we actually have not even sent the update for the corp yet, its done but we are waiting for some more updates from the IRS and will do it all at one time.

Doug

Thanks Art

1. On the Section 179 I will have to check with our tax team ,but keep in mind this is version 0.0 on the CD, you should have been promted to update to V0.2 if you have not do that.

2. These forms are coming in updates over the next few days.

3. The Business Codes are furnished by the IRS, however these maybe different than the legacy forms remember we are now 100% MeF. The Reject Acknowledgements are going to be different than legacy too, they are much better detailed.

4. Make sure you have updated and any these that are system errors will be fixed over the next few days.

5. What are you refering to as Libraries and I will address this and get this taken care of.

6. I know you can go up to utilities and go to custom letters and create anything you want, you can even copy and paste your previous letters. It is really good it is a lot like MS Word.

7. It is coming in the next few days as we are waiting to get the updates from the IRS

8. States will be available over the next couple weeks.

9. We are available on Fridays for Tech Support until 5pm cst. We are going to be extending our hours in the next few weeks as requested by many of you guys.

The updates are coming daily however usually on Mondays is our big update day.

Sincerely

Doug Hughes

Doug,

I have not got a resolution yet to the points I raised. I assume that your team is still working on them.

To clarify #5 Libraries refers to the listing of Employers for W-2 form input and Payers for 1099 form input that we could choose from a pull down list when completing those input forms in last years software. This was a terrific time saver for repeat clients. I noticed that in the 2012 software in the proforma tab there was a drop down for clients and also for employers. The employers were listed, but when you tried in input the information on the W-2 input sheet the was no mechanism to select from the list. Is this still coming?

#6 Custom letters is still not working. I was able to copy the letters from last years software into the custom screen for 2012. I hit the save button, but the letter was not saved and I could not print it. I did this in the 1040 defalut return thinking that it should be available for all future returns. I have updated to versin .03. Is this still a work in progress?

Thanks for your reply.

Art

Doug,

I have not got a resolution yet to the points I raised. I assume that your team is still working on them.

To clarify #5 Libraries refers to the listing of Employers for W-2 form input and Payers for 1099 form input that we could choose from a pull down list when completing those input forms in last years software. This was a terrific time saver for repeat clients. I noticed that in the 2012 software in the proforma tab there was a drop down for clients and also for employers. The employers were listed, but when you tried in input the information on the W-2 input sheet the was no mechanism to select from the list. Is this still coming?

#6 Custom letters is still not working. I was able to copy the letters from last years software into the custom screen for 2012. I hit the save button, but the letter was not saved and I could not print it. I did this in the 1040 defalut return thinking that it should be available for all future returns. I have updated to versin .03. Is this still a work in progress?

Thanks for your reply.

Art

Hey Art, both of these are coming in the next few days. The Employers are the EIN database, that is what you are talking about right?

Doug

I had the same problem that many of last years files did not come over. I finally went to Use Return Maint and clicked on ReIndex and it brought up most of the 1040 files, but no business returns. The headings for the file listing under "spouse" is taxpayers last name. I could not rename the headings or resort the columnar order. Many other problems.

1. Sec 179 depreciation does not calcuate. Depreciation input layout not well structured.

2. Not 1099 INT or DIV input forms-only 1099R is available.

3. Bus code input on Sch C gives erroneous error message. Codes are very incomplete.

4. Many erroneous error messages. Joint return SSNs inputed,but system not recognizing, requesting EIN for sole practitoner, ect.

5. None of the Libraries are available-nothing carried over.

6. None of the letters have carried over--engagement letters, privacy letters, transmittal letters-no guideance provided for setting these up

7. No online help menu.

8. No state software.

9. No tech support available till Monday. Still no support on Fridays at this time.

This product is not much of an improvement over the Demo I evaluated this summer. I sure hope they get their act together with quick fixes on the updates-and soon!

Art

Art, 1.We are checking the Section 179 we are currently making an update on this. 2. These must be inputted on the Schedule B. 3. We are rechecking the IRS now for any updates and if there are any we will update the list. 4. These issues have been fixed but we are verifying the update and will be released to you in a few days. 5. We are checking the EIN database to make sure it is coming forward from last year, so far on my system it is. Make sure you did a performa on the employer too. 6. These have to be done through custom letters. 7. We are going to load the help files this weekend, we have just been reviewing them first. 8. States are coming. 9. Tech support will be extended in a couple of weeks. I hope this all works for you and Thanks Doug.

Hey how old is your computer and how much memory do you have? this is related to the peek the other stuff is being updated as we enter the updates on the forms. Hang in there you will love it when we are done and we will be done in plenty of time for you to get used to it. I really do appreciate your input.

Thanks,

Doug

Roberts, On the Schedule D it is a new 2012 IRS requirement this year that the long and short be separated with 8949, it is done correctly in the program.

Few things on my sample 1065:

1. I had to tell the program to produce a Schedule B-1. That should have been automatically produced and completed when I entered that information on another form. I entered into directly into the K-1 forms because I couldn't figure out any place else to imput the member data.

2. Form 4562 is supposed to be linked to form 8825. It's not an option. I'm sure that's being fixed but that's weird.

3. Whenever I try to use Form Peek - about 1/2 the time nothing shows up at all. The rest of the time it shows an empty tax form.

4. The depreciation worksheet is mystery to me. Every other software, when you add items to the asset listing - you are done. The worksheet is pretty much done. Here it appears nothing is transferring. I worked at it for 45 minutes and can't get any type of depreciation number to produce.

Roberts

1. We have not updated the 1065 yet once this is done you will not have a problem. 2. Same we have not updated the 1065 yet. 3. I am not having that issue on my computer. 4. The it is not 2012 yet so use the year as 2011 and it will work. Thanks Doug Hughes

Roberts, On the Schedule D it is a new 2012 IRS requirement this year that the long and short be separated with 8949, it is done correctly in the program.

That's a new requirement? We've had to separate long term and short term for years. My point was that I find it odd I have to tell the software if it's long or short term. If I enter a short term holding in the long term box - it didn't catch it as an error. Why wouldn't I enter them all on 1 spreadsheet and the software sorts them to the correct spot on the return?

That's a new requirement? We've had to separate long term and short term for years. My point was that I find it odd I have to tell the software if it's long or short term. If I enter a short term holding in the long term box - it didn't catch it as an error. Why wouldn't I enter them all on 1 spreadsheet and the software sorts them to the correct spot on the return?

I will have you an answer early in the morning, however I am almost 100% certain that is how it already is, but let me see and then find out why you are not seeing it.

Doug Hughes

Roberts is correct. Usually the input grid should be able to use the date of sale and date of acquisition and the Category code (A,B,C) to fill in the appropriate form 8949 and figure out if it is long term or short term. Most software works that way that I have seen??

How does it work for TRX? Is the user required to manually separate out short term/long term and codes A,B,C like manually filling out the paper form? That would be going backwards!