ATX Community

TRX 2012 Problems

Don in Upstate NY

Roberts is correct. Usually the input grid should be able to use the date of sale and date of acquisition and the Category code (A,B,C) to fill in the appropriate form 8949 and figure out if it is long term or short term. Most software works that way that I have seen??

How does it work for TRX? Is the user required to manually separate out short term/long term and codes A,B,C like manually filling out the paper form? That would be going backwards!

No there is no paper form, I am sure it will do exactly what you are saying, I just want to verify because if it does not I will make sure it does before tax season.

Doug

1.) Form 8949 which feeds stock sales to Schedule D does require the user to input short term transactions (under 1 year) in a diferent section that long term transaction (over 1 year) requiring the user to determine which section (and therefore if it is short term or long term) the transaction belongs. I tried entering an obvious long term transaction into the short term section and the sofftware placed it in the short term section of schedule D (and a short term transaction in the long term section same result). The software didnt make the determination if the transaction was short term or long term by the purchase and sale dates entered and didnt place it in the correct setion.

Doug, If you can, please address this isssue. It would be a great time saver if the transactions could all be entered in one section and then determine whether it is a short term or long term transaction by the dates entered and then place the transaction in the appropriate section of schedule D and form 8949.

2.) I noticed that whenever I entered a date in the software after I entered the "/" key it would always place two slashes in the field (i,e, "//") requiring the user to manually delete the second slash before continuing to enter the remainder of the date.

Again, Doug, please see if this issue can be addressed.

Thanks

John

Doug

I do not have the software installed and was going to wait until after Christmas. But, when you do the

Updates does that include the whole program or just the Updates?

Please let me know.

Thanks

joane

Joane that would just be the update, so go a head and load the program and then as the updates come in it will prompt you to update.

Thanks

Doug Hughes

1.) Form 8949 which feeds stock sales to Schedule D does require the user to input short term transactions (under 1 year) in a diferent section that long term transaction (over 1 year) requiring the user to determine which section (and therefore if it is short term or long term) the transaction belongs. I tried entering an obvious long term transaction into the short term section and the sofftware placed it in the short term section of schedule D (and a short term transaction in the long term section same result). The software didnt make the determination if the transaction was short term or long term by the purchase and sale dates entered and didnt place it in the correct setion.

Doug, If you can, please address this isssue. It would be a great time saver if the transactions could all be entered in one section and then determine whether it is a short term or long term transaction by the dates entered and then place the transaction in the appropriate section of schedule D and form 8949.

2.) I noticed that whenever I entered a date in the software after I entered the "/" key it would always place two slashes in the field (i,e, "//") requiring the user to manually delete the second slash before continuing to enter the remainder of the date.

Again, Doug, please see if this issue can be addressed.

Thanks

John

John, Let me check this out, but on the date deal if you do not enter the "/" the program will enter them for you and want have to delete at the end.

Thanks,

Doug

Custom Letter. I have been trying to input the Privacy Policy from the 2011 TRXPro (TaxWorks) and Im having problems with formatting and saving. I cant seem to get the "Center Alignment" to work. I highlight the text, click the "center Aglinment" button but the text remains left justified.

I have been able to get Bold, Underline and Italic to work however it only worked on the top 1/3. After saving and attempting to Bold and Underline text further down the letter it works but doesnt save. I click the save button but it never confirms that I want to save, as it did previously. When I exit the document and reopen the text is no longer Bold or underlined indicating that it did not save my changes.

EDIT: It appears that NONE of the 4 Align buttons work.

EDIT: Also I cant seem to print preview the client letter - standard, custom or in the entire return. Nor does it print to the file cabinet.

Custom Letter. I have been trying to input the Privacy Policy from the 2011 TRXPro (TaxWorks) and Im having problems with formatting and saving. I cant seem to get the "Center Alignment" to work. I highlight the text, click the "center Aglinment" button but the text remains left justified.

I have been able to get Bold, Underline and Italic to work however it only worked on the top 1/3. After saving and attempting to Bold and Underline text further down the letter it works but doesnt save. I click the save button but it never confirms that I want to save, as it did previously. When I exit the document and reopen the text is no longer Bold or underlined indicating that it did not save my changes.

EDIT: Also I cant seem to print preview the client letter - standard, custom or in the entire return. Nor does it print to the file cabinet.

I am finding out what is going on now should have an answer in the morning

Doug

When doing an "Auto Error Check" on a joint 1040 I'm getting an error "F1040-007" message, which states "If form 1040 line 2 check box "Married Filing Jointly" is checked then both the primary SSN and the spouse SSN must be present in the return header".

Im not sure why its giving this error. The return is joint in which box 2 is checked and both the SSNs are entered (taxpayer and spouse). Its present on each married filing joint return.

Is anyone else getting this error on their married filing joint returns? Has anyone found what causes it and how to rectify it?

Thanks

John

When doing an "Auto Error Check" on a joint 1040 I'm getting an error "F1040-007" message, which states "If form 1040 line 2 check box "Married Filing Jointly" is checked then both the primary SSN and the spouse SSN must be present in the return header".

Im not sure why its giving this error. The return is joint in which box 2 is checked and both the SSNs are entered (taxpayer and spouse). Its present on each married filing joint return.

Is anyone else getting this error on their married filing joint returns? Has anyone found what causes it and how to rectify it?

Thanks

John

John & Joel, this issue has been resolved and will be in the next release on Thursday. Merry Christmas Doug Hughes

I have reproduced this issue and we are making corections to eliminate this issue, we will release this in the next release. Merry Christmas Doug Hughes

When I try to print a 1099, I only get a blank 1099 when I use the "print preview" button and I get a blank page when I use the "print" button even though informatiion is entered on the 1099. When I try to print a W2, I get a notice to insert the form in the printer and it then only prints the information without the form. I don't see any way to print the form with the information in it. Is this something that will be corrected later, or will we only be able to use the program with pre-printed W2 and 1099 forms?

I'm not complaining. The program is a bargain even without the payroll section, but it sure would be nice if it will print W2s and 1099s on plain paper. It would keep me from having to buy a separate program.

I had the same problem that many of last years files did not come over. I finally went to Use Return Maint and clicked on ReIndex and it brought up most of the 1040 files, but no business returns. The headings for the file listing under "spouse" is taxpayers last name. I could not rename the headings or resort the columnar order. Many other problems.

1. Sec 179 depreciation does not calcuate. Depreciation input layout not well structured.

2. Not 1099 INT or DIV input forms-only 1099R is available.

3. Bus code input on Sch C gives erroneous error message. Codes are very incomplete.

4. Many erroneous error messages. Joint return SSNs inputed,but system not recognizing, requesting EIN for sole practitoner, ect.

5. None of the Libraries are available-nothing carried over.

6. None of the letters have carried over--engagement letters, privacy letters, transmittal letters-no guideance provided for setting these up

7. No online help menu.

8. No state software.

9. No tech support available till Monday. Still no support on Fridays at this time.

Doug,

I appreciate your previous responses to my questions.

With respect to item 1 I had a very long discussion with tech yesterday going over my list above. For the depreciation issue it appears that we must start by opening the 4562 form and double clcik on line 2 to open the depreciation worksheet for the numbers to flow to the correct shedule (C, F, ect). In other words you must start from the 4562 and work backwords to get the data to flow properly. This is very counterintuitive. One would think to start with the depreciation detail worksheet where there would be a box to check to tell the system where the data should flow ie Sch C, F, ect. Also the depreciation summary page is missing column totals and has no column for either current year or prior year depreciation, both should be basic for that summary worksheet.

The custom letter window functionality is very limited and the cut, paste, and alignment icons do not work. The letter products including the return transmittal form and billing form are still very rough and do not look professional. If you have more than 1 custom form ie engagement letter, privacy notice, ect you can only print one form with return print. ie there is no drop down selection for printing multiple letters when printing a return. The billing form does not pull in the client information nor the default preparer information.

I also noted that any supplemental worksheet for Sch A will not total on the worksheet and will not carry to Sch A for any of the itemized deductions. Even the direct input on the line items do not total for the deduction category. If you have a state income tax balance due or 4th qtr estimated payment made in 2012 there is no worksheet to list the payments. The estimated worksheet provided is only for Federal tax payments.

As soon as I have time I will put together a comprehensive 1040 sample for testing which I will offer for uploading to the programmers if they wish to use it to assist them, but I must say I am disappointed that some of these very basic things have still not be corrected.

Art

Art if you have access to Taxwise do a conversion from TRX (Redgear product) to Taxwise and you will see that Taxwise brings in 99% of the details including carryforwards that you mention in your post. It is a shame that the new homegrown TRX product can't even do a half way decent conversion from the TRX Redgear product. Folks using the new TRX product will have their hands full with these issues. What you can probably use is the client name address, dependents and thats about all that can be relied upon!

It is a shame that the new homegrown TRX product can't even do a half way decent conversion from the TRX Redgear product. Folks using the new TRX product will have their hands full with these issues. What you can probably use is the client name address, dependents and thats about all that can be relied upon!

You would have thought since we all were using the exact same software, this would have been a far easier transition. This is my largest immediate issue. If I'm working to make the transition, I'm doing it to software that actually works and I know what I'll be working with going forward. TaxExact isn't a working product as of now but they make grand promises about future updates. They knew we were all using the same software, how is this something they didn't expect to be a major problem and address it in June? With all of the supposed returns they did last year, how is it possible they had no clue these problems existed and are just now trying to fix them? A true head scratcher.

Outsourcing work proves dear for NRI biz couple

Published: Friday, Dec 28, 2012, 12:20 IST

Place: Ahmedabad | Agency: DNA

TRX Work Provider ILink in India got caught stealing US Income Tax Software source code from Actax!!!

Investigation into a cheating complaint filed by an NRI woman went deeper when officials of the cyber crime cell of Detection of Crime Branch came across a bigger fraud. As per case details, Krishna Patel, 36, a native of Anand, co-owns a USA-based company Actax Inc, along with her husband Vijay Patel.

They had entered into a four-year contract with Ahmedabad-based firm, I Links, which is owned by German couple Petra and Roger James. The Patels had outsourced some of their work to I Links. The manager of I Links at that time was Bharat Sanghani who used to handle the operations for Actax Inc. He left the job after some time and was replaced by one Milan Saraiya.

However, within just three-four months of Saraiya joining, the Patels started receiving complaints. Unhappy with the quality of work delivered, they terminated their contract with I Links.

Following the contract termination, the Patels asked I Links owners to return the furniture, stationery and computers that they had provided. However, the firm refused to return the items. A few days back Krishna came to Anand and then to Ahmedabad. She approached the DCB where she filed a complaint of cheating against the owners and the manager of I Links.

The cops started investigation immediately. While investigating the case, they realised that cheating did not end with not returning furniture and stationery. The Patels had provided their source code to I Links for their work. However, after termination of the contract, Saraiya and the German couple had modified this source code and sold it to other companies. In the process they had earned crores of rupees.

“Using the source code of the company, they developed new software. Not just this, they are also involved in a multi-crore scam,” said a DCB official of cyber crime cell, requesting anonymity. The case is still under investigation. All the three accused are absconding.

I would support a Federal law that requires all taxpayer information to stay in USA! In other words no outsourcing of taxpreparation work to India or any other place. If you think about it a tax return has all the information a crook would need to steal your identity in a NY minute!

I would support a Federal law that requires all taxpayer information to stay in USA! In other words no outsourcing of taxpreparation work to India or any other place. If you think about it a tax return has all the information a crook would need to steal your identity in a NY minute!

Taxed I agree outsourcing Tax Preparation to India or any place is wrong. You would think the IRS would require this as a form of the 7216 form in some kind of disclosure. Doug

As a CPA I was appalled when this was first announced. I as well as many other members voiced their opinions with the AICPA which ultimately led to the disclosure rule.

If a CPA out sources and/or provides client information to a third party they must disclose these facts directly to the client.

This worked for some time to quell the expansion of outsourcing, until the big 3 and others found a way around the rule.

They set up offices in the countries that they outsourced to, i.e. India, where one partner oversaw all of the outsourced tax returns. This was considered kosher and remains so at the present time.

The struggle continues.

Mike Dubin CPA

As a CPA I was appalled when this was first announced. I as well as many other members voiced their opinions with the AICPA which ultimately led to the disclosure rule.

If a CPA out sources and/or provides client information to a third party they must disclose these facts directly to the client.

This worked for some time to quell the expansion of outsourcing, until the big 3 and others found a way around the rule.

They set up offices in the countries that they outsourced to, i.e. India, where one partner oversaw all of the outsourced tax returns. This was considered kosher and remains so at the present time.

The struggle continues.

Mike Dubin CPA

Mike I agree, but I am not sure how we go about combating it. Open for suggestions maybe we can all work together and get something done. Doug

I found these posts on http://www.taxalmanac.org/index.php/Main_Page and thought that everyone on this board should be aware of what others are confronting before passing judgement.

I too have some concerns however Doug is assuring us that all will be there shortly and for my $299 I am willing to wait it out and see!

Happy new years to all.

Mike Dubin CPA

Did H&RB push TAXWORKS over the cliff?

Pink Pearl (talk|edits) said:

December 31, 2012

I have used Taxworks software for over seven years but I gotta tell ya...I'm getting worried...Taxworks has always been very dependable, easy to use and priced right. Today I have a useless piece of software that will not perform and no fixes in sight. Spent six hours with tech spt on Friday to get the 2012 program to open and yesterday I discover that I now cannot open the 2011 program. TAXWORKS promised a new and superior product early in 2012 but seems to have released the initial version in late December 2012 to it's customers so the customer (us) could be the beta testers.. QUESTION: Any other Taxworks users feeling the pain like me and have a plan B in sight?

Larousse (talk|edits) said:

3 January 2013

I agree, Pearl. I loved TaxWorks for its excellent support. However, right now, I get their new very slick appearing screen that doesn't actually DO anything. I have our IT person scheduled to do another joint session with their tech support but, frankly, I'm about ready to throw in the towel.

Yep, I've heard the same about TaxWorks! (That strikes me as the silver lining to all of this - we may have inadvertently avoided a mess...)

ATX is also a bit of a wreck at this point in tax season.

I find this all kind of astonishing. I understand that forms might be late coming this year, but why is the program functionality not solid, this close to tax season? I understand that the programming must be extremely complicated, but shouldn't beta testing have been happening back in, say, October? Pay potential customers to install the software, do a few practice returns, and see what problems come up? Why didn't ATX, Taxworks, and TaxExact make that happen? What am I missing?? Baffled.

ProSeries, Drake, TaxWise, and TaxAct may all have banner years in 2013, due strictly to non-functionality of their competitors' programs!

Yep, I've heard the same about TaxWorks! (That strikes me as the silver lining to all of this - we may have inadvertently avoided a mess...)

ATX is also a bit of a wreck at this point in tax season.

I find this all kind of astonishing. I understand that forms might be late coming this year, but why is the program functionality not solid, this close to tax season? I understand that the programming must be extremely complicated, but shouldn't beta testing have been happening back in, say, October? Pay potential customers to install the software, do a few practice returns, and see what problems come up? Why didn't ATX, Taxworks, and TaxExact make that happen? What am I missing?? Baffled.

ProSeries, Drake, TaxWise, and TaxAct may all have banner years in 2013, due strictly to non-functionality of their competitors' programs!

Matt you know me and I in no way am trying to defend my competitors but facts are facts. The IRS mandated us Software Companies to go 100% MeF, which to most people is not a big deal, however even if we were currently 100% MeF we were still forced to program to use Legacy and that all changed this year abruptly by the IRS. Now with that said here is the problem, the normal features you are accustomed to may not all function properly at first until all updates are done, sounds crazy but it is true not only for me but also for my competitors. Do not be fooled thinking that the companies you mentioned are going to have banner years they face the same issues you may just not be aware of it with them yet, but you will. But I would be willing to bet that by the time we start doing taxes this year, God only knows when that will be, but that me along with my competitors will be ready for you with full functionality.

Doug Hughes

Folks using ATX, TRX , Taxworks, Taxwise are getting upset with the delays but we don't hear Drake or TaxAct users complaining as much! What are they doing right to keep their users happy!!!