ATX Community

I have to admit....

Janitor Bob

The program has gotten tons better in the past two days...at least for me. Updated to 12.3 last evening and after updating this evening (either 71 or 73 forms...whichever number you believe), I was able to roll over my personal return with Sch C, Depreciation, Ed. Expenses, etc with no problem....rolled over very fast. The return did take approx 3 minutes to open....but that is a big improvement.

I am feeling more confident that I can now start entering client information such as W-2s and provide refund amounts. If I can get a few more Ohio and local forms (and the obvious E-file related forms), I'll be good

I see what I think is a bug in the error check (stating an incorrect max gross income for retirement savings contribution credit)...but I'll withhold complaint on this until I am sure it actually an ATX error.

I even see that Ohio Generic City and OH School District is available....earlier than in previous years.

I am still irritated at ATX for using us as beta testers, but at least I am less panicked now. :mellow:

Chaz (the guy who stands on the corner by Woody's Market and drinks warm Corona) is still pissed off about the bunny being gone.

• Like 1

The program is also now using much less RAM on my XP machine...I have two returns open and can still work on returns, visit ATX community and check e-mails without noticing any drag on resources. :)

Max out the RAM your system will hold. Find out the fastest RAM your system will hold and if what you have is not the fastest, replace it all. Using ATX requires the fastest and as much RAM as your system will hold.

We have 10 workstations. 8 have 4GB, 2 have 8GB.

Go to www.crucial.com and use their automatic scan tool to find out what your motherboard will take.

Jack....Thanks for the tip and link...I just used Crucial's scanner to verify my memory specs. I ordered a 4GB set (max for my system)...this will double my RAM! Not a bad investment of $60.00!

This should get me by until I get a new system next Fall

Did you order the fastest that your motherboard will handle?

BTW, RAM has become real cheap compared to 5 years ago.

Jack....Thanks for the tip and link...I just used Crucial's scanner to verify my memory specs. I ordered a 4GB set (max for my system)...this will double my RAM! Not a bad investment of $60.00!

This should get me by until I get a new system next Fall

Now once you install the RAM, your system readings in control panel will only show 3GB. This is a Windows XP limitation. Your system will use all of it, but won't show it.

Back to speed of the program. I have brand new Win 7 8GB quad core machines this year. But the program is very slow on data entry. Got my forms going on my return and actually prepared it. Tab from field to field is very slow. Moving from form to form is slow as well. My return has Sch. A, C, 8863, Fixed Assets, 8829.

Did any of you check out the new reporting on the Ed Credits. Requires a School name and complete address to claim the credit.

Tom

Hollister, CA

The video settings, card, and memory (shared or not), will affect the perceived speed when using your computer. As I am not an ATX user, I am not sure how they update the display, but moving to a new field probably involves calculations, error checking, updating other fields, and saving data to your drive. The drive is the next slowest item, magnified if the software is network or multi user capable, and magnified again if you are actually using network or multi user capabilities.

In other words, Ram may increase load and unload speed, and in some case, operation speed, but the video and drive capabilities have more affect on operation speed.

The 2012 atx max program is really slow vs 2011.......

Here is an apple to apple test I did, and would be interested on other people's results ......

1- created a new tax return with only 1040 form, save it and close it for both years 2011 & 2012.

2-) try loading each tax return multiple times ......here are the results .....

2011 Max) ... Loads in about 5 secs (average) ..... Longest time 7 secs

2012 Max) ... Loads in about 40 secs ... ( average) ..... longest time 1 min, 10 secs.

Both programs were opened during the test.

My system is a windows vista with 2GB (I may be upgrading, but windows 8 is selling now and is not supported or tested for 2012 atx max program )

I'd be interested in your thoughts or results form the very simple test performed above.

Thanks

>>Requires a School name and complete address to claim the credit.<<

That sounds simple enough. And entirely reasonable. At least it's not as nasty as getting a tax I.D. for Child Care Credit!

It is kinda awkward how they have it laid out. First of all, they default the taxpayer and spouse into the #1 and #2 student positions even if they don't have any ed expenses. Take a look at it. It is just awkward. Maybe more of a CCH issue than an IRS issue. But how many parents know the address of their kid's college? I had to look it up online for my return.

Tom

I am having the same delays that TonyETS spells out - I haven't timed things, but definitely much slower than 2011 version. I also have similar delays in saving a tax file as well as adding forms to the tax file - much much much slower in 2012.

I have a new HP Windows 7 62 bit with 8 GB RAM...

I tried TonyETS' test although maybe not exactly.

1. 2011 program to open - 2 seconds, longest 3; 2012 program to open - 9 seconds, longest 11

2. just new 1040 in 2011 to open - 2 seconds, longest 2; same in 2012 to open - 4 seconds, longest 5.

Yes, 2012 is slower. For me, so far, it is not significant enough to get my shorts in a bunch but I can imagine those with slower machines, it would be a problem. As I mentioned earlier, my computer guru builds mine so no extra stuff at all, Intel i5-3450 CPU @ 3.10GHz, 3.4 Ghz overall; 8GB RAM, Win 7 Pro. I found a little performance rating box for Windows Experience Index, whatever that is. Processor: calculations per second, 7.5; Memory (RAM): Memory operations per second, 7.6; Graphics: Desktop performance for Windows Aero, 3.3; Gaming graphics; 3D business and gaming graphics performance, 5.4; Primary hard disd: Disk data transfer rate, 5.9. For what all that is worth... Again, I am quite happy with this new computer and trust the kinks will be worked out with the software.

It is kinda awkward how they have it laid out. First of all, they default the taxpayer and spouse into the #1 and #2 student positions even if they don't have any ed expenses. Take a look at it. It is just awkward. Maybe more of a CCH issue than an IRS issue. But how many parents know the address of their kid's college? I had to look it up online for my return.

Tom

1098T is provided by all accredited institutions. Plus, I mailed lots of stuff to the college when my kids were in.