ATX Community

12.4 DUE 1/17

JRS

Very worried that they did not mention the speed of the program when opening a return, speed of the program when adding new forms and speed of the program in the fixed asset module. Half the time I try to enter the fixed assets module, program crashes and tried to dispose of asset last night and the screen never moved....

Today I can't even open a return in the program! One day you can open, the next day worse. I usually don't stress as I don't even start seeing clients for taxes until February, but there are a few use/sales tax clients who still need paper returns which I used to be able to access in the program. Can't even get those clients open in 2012 to prepare the returns and 2012 WA sales tax returns not available in the 2011 program. So at this point improvisation is the word of the day.

Don't forget internet forms. If it happens that you need a form which isn't available in last year's MAX program and you can't yet get to it in the current year, it may be available online. Many states have fillable pdf's available for their local forms. Sometimes you can't save the data or the forms won't calculate, but at least you have something you can use in a pinch to get the report out the door.

Just downloaded 12.4 - - --observations:

Rollover - -SUPER FAST - -thank you!

Opening up a return with 1 w-2, single - -takes about a minute - -that I can live with

Opening up a return that has ANY thing else - - -dependents - -multiple w-2's - -crashes the program - - -can take 3 minutes

ATTEMPTING to open a return that has sched C & depreciation - - -not gonna happen - -probably never at this point

:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

When compared to previous years, I get the feeling that much of the "work" that is done by the software when it rolls over a return is not done at rollover. It is instead done when you first open the rolled over return.....drastically increasing rollover speed, but also drastically increasing time top open the return.....Just an observation from Lenny the Pirate.

I agree, and once opened after roll over it does seem to come quicker. My problem (I know it may seem minor, but it is a big urk with me) is the slowness in moving between lines on the schedule C. I enter the info and click on to the next line and it seems like it takes for ever to get there. My program is usable at this point, but I have serious questions and concerns as I have more clients in my return manager.

Deb!

I am starting to question seriously if this year's ATX-2012 version was beta tested thoroughly before rolling it out for us to purchase it? If it was then, were we end users or a select few invited in some form or fashion to participate in it's testing by CCH?

This product is meant for us to utilize after purchase and we know it much better than anyone in it's evolution till now. We live with it throughout the whole year and we are better at it.

Because if this was thoroughly tested, then we should not be experiencing all these case scenarios with the application with all these unforeseen performance issues.

What is happening is, it is costing us more time pointing out what the flaws are with the software more so than what we need to be doing in our respective tax practices.

This is just my take on this.. There must be a better way than this...

It improved a little in opening the returns but lost Depreciation and Amortization to flow thru on 1120s and 1065... Any one else having the issue..?
I found out that if the return was rolled over before today's update, the depreciation does not flow. I then rolled over another return that I knew had depreciation and everything was where it belonged. I then deleted the Partnership return that I had rolled over last week. I then rolled it over again and all of the depreciation was populated to the 4562 and the 1065. I now have 4 returns rolled over representative of 4 different scenarios and so far without much data to enter, things are looking OK; other than the speed and the general look and setup of the new interface. IMO, this shows what can happen when you roll returns before you need them. Also, run a recheck of your preference settings. Some of them may have changed. Next week I am maximizing my Ram which I ordered today. Brand new computer ; a shame, but I have to be able to work!

I found out that if the return was rolled over before today's update, the depreciation does not flow. I then rolled over another return that I knew had depreciation and everything was where it belonged. I then deleted the Partnership return that I had rolled over last week. I then rolled it over again and all of the depreciation was populated to the 4562 and the 1065. I now have 4 returns rolled over representative of 4 different scenarios and so far without much data to enter, things are looking OK; other than the speed and the general look and setup of the new interface. IMO, this shows what can happen when you roll returns before you need them. Also, run a recheck of your preference settings. Some of them may have changed. Next week I am maximizing my Ram which I ordered today. Brand new computer ; a shame, but I have to be able to work!

Thank you!

I deleted and rolled over the return and depreciation and amortization is flowing thru.

I already maximized the RAM (8GB) for my laptop.

One of the return after rollover I cannot open the return, (1120)

This was my fifth attempt to download and install the 12.4 update and failed ...and when trying to close the updater nothing happens and have to use windows x button, following by immediate program crash msg. ... guess it's my turn to hang about on the tech support's helpline, lol

Just realize, while reading here, that actually it is normal if the test return can't be open after the update so delete test return, update program and roll over new test return after the update - will try this now. Even tick off the Rollover when Available check box - will download the forms when IRS and CCH release them ...

BTW, any other ideas what this means:

" ... Update completed successfully! …93%

Downloading 93 of 87 forms

Processing 87 of 93 files."

and if the difference in the numbers match the list of not released forms so far?