ATX Community

Fed Refund was delayed more than 21 days

tom777

What to Expect for Refunds in 2013

The IRS issued more than 9 out of 10 refunds to taxpayers in less than 21 days last year. The same results are expected in 2013.

Even though the IRS issues most refunds in less than 21 days, it’s possible your tax return may require additional review and take longer.

Use Where’s My Refund? to Check the Status of Your Refund.

Where’s My Refund? has a new look for 2013! The tool will include a tracker that displays progress through 3 stages: (1) Return Received, (2) Refund Approved and (3) Refund Sent.

You will get personalized refund information based on the processing of your tax return. The tool will provide an actual refund date as soon as the IRS processes your tax return and approves your refund. Remember, most refunds will be issued in less than 21 days.

In 2013 you will be able to start checking on the status of your return sooner - within 24 hours after we have received your e-filed return or 4 weeks after you mail a paper return.

http://www.irs.gov/Refunds/What-to-Expect-for-Refunds-in-2013

Yeah, one of my refundable credit windfall clients called yesterday to ask me whether IRS means 21 days or 21 business days. I'm like, "Uh. I guess they mean 21 days." And I wanted to say, "Why not call them?" I noticed today on the site that they spell it out: 21 days. I didn't call her back. Tired of these.

What Tom777 said is accurate. We have two clients who were tracking on irs website, now tracking info gone.

Same with me I have clients that called and were told their return was kicked from the system due to the more than expected influx of returns on Jan 30th. That they had to re enter into the system but still gave no date as to when put back in system nor refund anticipation date. Now when you go to check on the IRS website.... Not showing in the system!! I'm just so done with everything tax related this year!! The whole system sucks this year!!!

This is the latest update from another Tax software company to their clients:

Update - February 21, 2013, 6:00 PM CST:

Hi everyone,

I know that the last few days have been very challenging, to say the least, and I apologize for the stress and anxiety that this issue is causing you.

I want you to know that we at Intuit are doing everything possible to partner closely with the IRS and ensure that your clients get timely refunds, on those returns filed from January 30 – February 7th that have lines 22 and/or 23 unanswered on Form 8867. You have been clear on how important this is to you and your customers, and it is our highest priority.

Just minutes ago, we received approval to share updates on a few of your key questions. The IRS is also working on posting similar updates on their Website shortly. I hope that this information helps to alleviate some confusion.

When will refunds be issued? We’ve been advised that the IRS is making great progress processing returns with the Form 8867 this week, and the majority of affected returns have already cleared the Error Resolution stage.
According to the IRS: “Assuming there are no other issues with the return, once the return clears Error Resolution refunds should be issued within 1 to 2 weeks assuming they utilized direct deposit and there are no other processing conditions related to their return that may require further review.”

What should taxpayers who received a notice about Form 8867 do? IRS: “Taxpayers should not discard the letter. They should respond and provide the information being requested. The tax professional should retain a copy of the response for their files.”

When should taxpayers who received a notice about Form 8867 expect to receive their refund?
IRS: “Although we still need the taxpayer to respond to the letter, we are processing these returns prior to receiving the taxpayer’s reply and are issuing refunds. Taxpayers should expect their refunds within 1 - 2 weeks assuming they utilized direct deposit and there are no other processing conditions related to their return that may require further review.”
We continue to work with the IRS senior leadership and are communicating with them daily to share the challenges you’re facing, determining solutions, and finding answers to your most pressing questions. We know the IRS takes this seriously as well, and is working hard to complete their processing of the affected returns.

I know your reputations mean everything to you, and I know that you look to us, and our products, to help you. Please continue talking with us and to each other on our community site and through our support channels. Many of you have told us that you appreciate the scheduled updates. We’ll continue to do that, with the next one slated for tomorrow at 12:00 p.m. ET.

Sincerely,

Jill Ward

GM, Accounting Professionals Division

I have some clients ( Filed as single, simple return) but they are still waiting for refund ? Has anyone have same issues ? Now their tax returns was not found in IRS web site !

I mean simple return without EIC or 8867. They are waiting more than 23 days (accepted on 1-30.2013). They don't know where their returns are .

It wasn't just an ATX issue. It was Intuit who posted the above update. It seems like there was miscommunication between the software companies & the IRS as to what pages of the 8867 should have been sent. It seems like the IRS was not receiving page 4 of the 8867 & they deemed the form incomplete. These were for returns filed between January 30-February 7.

Eli