Photo

1099-C for Student Loan. Does insolvency apply?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jack from Ohio

Jack from Ohio

ATX Supreme Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,097 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:48 PM

Widowed client (2009) with student loan with a remaining balance of  $22K.  Been paying on the loan since 2005 and paid on time. 

Was awarded  SS disability in Jan 2011 and is literally unable to work.

Student loan forgiven Jan 2012 and 1099-C issued.  Client has been insolvent since back surgeries etc. in mid 2010 did not allow her to work.

Can I use insolvency as reason for the 1099-C to not be taxable income?  Is there a special rule because it was a Student Loan that was forgiven?

#2 Jerry W

Jerry W

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:14 PM

I'm not certain about the use of insolvency.  If she is permanently and totally disabled, she may have to Request a Total and Permanent Disability Discharge.  If you Google the term, you can download the application in Pdf format.  Might be worth looking into.

JerryW

#3 Jack from Ohio

Jack from Ohio

ATX Supreme Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,097 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:20 PM

I'm not certain about the use of insolvency.  If she is permanently and totally disabled, she may have to Request a Total and Permanent Disability Discharge.  If you Google the term, you can download the application in Pdf format.  Might be worth looking into.

JerryW

The loan was discharged on 1-27-12.  She received 1099-C for the discharge.  She was definitely insolvent then.  My question is about any special caveat for student loans and using insolvency so the forgiveness is not taxed.

#4 Pacun

Pacun

ATX Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,420 posts
  • State:DC

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:59 PM

Just file form 982. I don't see any difference between that debt or a credit card debt. If tax payers were and are insolvent at the time of filing, you can use insolvency.

#5 kcjenkins

kcjenkins

ATX Grand Poo-Bah

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,009 posts
  • State:CA

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:47 PM

Yes, it qualifies.  

#6 rfassett

rfassett

ATXaholics Anonymous

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:56 AM

No known exception for student loans.  Granted, most are not discharged in bankruptcy (making them have a different character than other unsecured debt), but once they are cancelled, for whatever reason, they are treated like anyother cancelled debt.

#7 Gail in Virginia

Gail in Virginia

ATX Supreme Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,843 posts
  • State:VA

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:13 AM

And now that we can easily attach PDF files to e-files, I would attach a statement showing her insolvency immediately before the cancellation of debt.  It couldn't hurt, and you should have it prepared in your files anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users