ATX Community

Need Ohio local tax help

Wendy

Couple legally separated filing MFJ.. Both had only W2 income. Wife lived all year in OH and husband moved to MA in August. Both had local tax withheld. What is the proper form to file for local tax. Is it IT37 or are other forms required? There is no school district tax as far as I can see. They filed online themselves in 2011 and filed only the basic form. Thanx.

I'm trying to post this from my laptop as 3 other attempts have resulted in "server error".

Wendy,

In Ohio all municipal income tax returns are basically the same. Form 37 which you refferred to is a R.I.T.A. form. RITA is a for profit company which administers many city taxes in Ohio.

1st to do would be to determine if a city tax return needs to be filed-ask your client, they should know.

2nd: ATX has many of the city forms in the program. Go to Ohio / local and look for the city.

3rd: If not in the program, call the city tax dept and have them mail you/ client the form.

If you need more help,
E me : [email protected]

TAG

Need to know if they lived within a jurisdiction that imposes a "local" income tax. If they lived in a rural area, and only worked in the municipality, they most likely don't need to do anything.

Every local taxing agency is different. If they lived in the jurisdiction that was withheld, and the W-2 was the only income, they MAY not have to file.

Most locals tax 1) ALL earnings (I link Medicare wages to the form), 2) business income, (rental included), 3) partnership and S-corp income.

Jim

Sorry for my delay in responding.....Taxes in this area are very tricky. Depending on their address, they could be within the city limits of Columbus...In which case, they would file a Form Col IR22. If their address lies in the suburb of Worthington, they would file a form OH RITA 37.

I have a married couple and their address is so close to Columbus but still in Worthington, that half of their tax forms have "Columbus" and half say "Worthington"....so I go by the web site below that tells me what school district they are in.

You also need to make sure that they do not need to file an Ohio School return (OH-SD100) You can look up their address on the following web site to see of they live in a taxing school district:

https://thefinder.tax.ohio.gov/StreamlineSalesTaxWeb/AddressLookup/LookupByAddress.aspx?taxType=SchoolDist

This site will also firm up in what city they live...Columbus or Worthington. Worthington does NOT have a school tax, but Columbus does.

Thanx for your input. OH is one of the more complex states I have seen. I was just on the other board reading your problems with opening returns, so I know you've been a little busy. I hope that issue has finally been resolved for you. What a pain. I haven't dared to update to 12.10 but was about to go for it.............until I read your posts. Now I don't know what to do..update or not.

Sorry for my delay in responding.....Taxes in this area are very tricky. Depending on their address, they could be within the city limits of Columbus...In which case, they would file a Form Col IR22. If their address lies in the suburb of Worthington, they would file a form OH RITA 37.

I have a married couple and their address is so close to Columbus but still in Worthington, that half of their tax forms have "Columbus" and half say "Worthington"....so I go by the web site below that tells me what school district they are in.

You also need to make sure that they do not need to file an Ohio School return (OH-SD100) You can look up their address on the following web site to see of they live in a taxing school district:

https://thefinder.tax.ohio.gov/StreamlineSalesTaxWeb/AddressLookup/LookupByAddress.aspx?taxType=SchoolDist

This site will also firm up in what city they live...Columbus or Worthington. Worthington does NOT have a school tax, but Columbus does.

Great info but just one minor correction: actually, neither Worthington nor Columbus school districts have a school district income tax

• Like 1

Nonresident does not have to file the RITA form. The taxes withheld are their gift to the city for the privilege of working there!

A non-resident would not have to file a RITA return if all income had city income tax withheld for the workplace city. However, if the taxpayer had self-employment income that was earned in that non-resident city a RITA return would be required (deep sigh).

• Like 1