ATX Community

Rental loss

Kea

New client has new rental property put in service 8/14/12. Depreciation of house & appliances appears to be calculating correctly on 4562, but only a portion of it is flowing to the Sch C. Just the right amount to make expenses = income.

How do I convince TW to let him have passive loss? I have the box checked for active participation. He is in the phase-out area, but should be able to take some loss.

I even tried reducing his income below $100K (as a test), and it still didn't allow the loss. He is single not MFS.

Thanks!

Thinking about this more (with a clearer head?), the s/w may be using vacation rules since I input personal use & rental use days. I did that since it seemed to want me use the worksheet (which really didn't help me).

I need to see if I can delete the days & the worksheet. Maybe that will help?

I fought with that $&""%*^ worksheet for way too many hours Friday. Gave myself a break yesterday but might look at it later today. I think I'll spend today on easier returns. (Easier by s/w standards -- the biggest difficulty for rentals is getting the info from the client!)