ATX Community

not only overwhelmed but getting very irritated at retry server

WITAXLADY

ok since last night I keep getting the error retry server and it locks up my program - doesn't always save where I was, need to reboot program, locks up and sometimes reboot computer..

in the middle of apptmt, all day long - like 2012's longest day ever! cannot handle this

like yes over xxx drop offs and wanted last week! and cannot even work on returns.

help!!!

I have automatically check for updates when I start ATX, can you disable that? it seems that your Internet is not available when you try to open the program and that's why you are having that issue. So, I believe you will be able to open it up without checking with the server. Then you can do a manual update and your program will remain open if you don't connect to the server.

I have automatically check for updates when I start ATX, can you disable that? it seems that your Internet is not available when you try to open the program and that's why you are having that issue. So, I believe you will be able to open it up without checking with the server. Then you can do a manual update and your program will remain open if you don't connect to the server.

The server error is NOT the ATX server. It is the server portion of the program. Two totally unrelated things.

I am sure Jack can explain this better than I can, but as I understand, ATX 2013 has two components. It actually installs a server on your computer, and the second component is the actual program itself. I am guessing this was done in an attempt to solve last years problems with workstations and a server. In reading the other board, it is a wide spread problem, made worse by 13.3. I am still working smoothly on 13.2, but understand that 13.3 will be required for e-filing sometime next week.

_______________________________________________--

Not really a newbie, posted for many years under another board name.

I am sure Jack can explain this better than I can, but as I understand, ATX 2013 has two components. It actually installs a server on your computer, and the second component is the actual program itself. I am guessing this was done in an attempt to solve last years problems with workstations and a server. In reading the other board, it is a wide spread problem, made worse by 13.3. I am still working smoothly on 13.2, but understand that 13.3 will be required for e-filing sometime next week.

_______________________________________________--

Not really a newbie, posted for many years under another board name.

You are correct. The error is the ATX program not able to talk to the server program on the standalone, or the "server" machine in a network. The term server has several definitions and each definition and attribute to the word is different. This confusion of definitions is causing tons of trouble with ATX users who are not as tech savvy as some of the rest of us.

Perhaps this post which I copied from the ATX Board will help someone.

• Re: Can't connect to server error - An attempt was made to start the server process......
    I had the same problem. spent lot of time with customer support. they uninstalled & reinstalled ATX 2013. Took long time to complete Program update on reinstall. couldn't complete Forms update, taking for ever. Escalated to Tech Support. i was told that they can't help bcoz my processor speed was below the minimum system requirement and that there is NO option but for me to get a new computer which has atleast the recommended system requirements.
    Then I did 2 things.
    1. Followed Server Start/Restart process per Answer ID 14613 for Stand-alone setup.
    2. (a) Right click on ATX2013 icon. go to property. go to Target. copy the path.
    (b ) Went to my Anti-Virus program's anti-virus settings. select 'Exclusions' (from scanning). Added the 'Target' path by pasting it. saved the change.
    (c ) closed the ATX2013 program restarted it.

I did this just 2 days ago. so far it seems to be working. If I get the 'Server" message, I again follow the server 'Start/Restart' process and the program will open.

Hope, this helps you all out there wondering what to do

For the first time, this morning I got that message. Tried again, same message. Right clicked on icon, clicked on Open, it opened just fine. I have a stand alone computer, installed properly, more than meets all minimum requirements and no issues at all until this. I just thought the ATX servers were busy. I don't think I should worry, though. Right?

For the first time, this morning I got that message. Tried again, same message. Right clicked on icon, clicked on Open, it opened just fine. I have a stand alone computer, installed properly, more than meets all minimum requirements and no issues at all until this. I just thought the ATX servers were busy. I don't think I should worry, though. Right?

ONE MORE TIME!! This error is NOT related to the servers at ATX! The "server program" that is installed on every system and network is the one that cannot be connected to.

The term server has several definitions and each definition and attribute to the word is different. This confusion of definitions is causing tons of trouble with ATX users who are not as tech savvy as some of the rest of us.

I have been getting deflective and double talk answers from tech support and the developers. It is as if they do not want anyone to know that there is a problem and a solution.

The "system is not up to requirements" is male bovine scat as I have systems well ABOVE the recommendations that are having the same problem. I call B.S. on the equipment dodge by the tech people. I hope someone from ATX is watching here because I am about to send it to them in an e-mail as well.

CCH corporate personality is shining brightly again!! They still don't get it!!!

• Like 1

Jack, my message may have been a tad bit different from the op's message. I didn't really copy it down. I just thought I would tell my little story and how I avoided a third message. All turned out well. I closed the program and opened it again with no problem. As I said, I just thought ATX was busy with lots of folks trying to log in simultaneously. I believe I understand that server has more than one definition as you have explained a multitude of time in a variety of ways.

I don't believe you had to SHOUT to express yourself. Lower case works fine, too. I'm not sure why you are reviving your favorite phrase about male bovine scat regarding my system (if that was your intention). Mine is, as yours, well above the recommendations.

It seems you get your shorts in a bunch whenever this issue arises and feel compelled to, again, let posters know that you are the expert in this area. Most of us know it and appreciate your expertise. I venture to state, however, that showing your irritation at repeating yourself is not always a welcomed response. Perhaps you might save a pre-written response somewhere and simply post it whenever you see this request/comment/complaint appear, yet again. I fear for your stress level and would dearly prefer that you maintain your composure and willingness to continue to assist those of us seeking help with new issues.

I wasn't asking for advice or assistance in this case. I merely related my experience on the chance that someone else may find such a simple solution, at least once, and not have to halt work. It worked for me - once - might work for another. Don't know if not tried.

Thanks for your many efforts to assist in so many ways. They are appreciated most of the time. Shouting via upper case and bold type is not always so appreciated, in my opinion. If a colleague in your office asked similar questions, even repeatedly, would that also be your response?

• Like 3

There are a few things which can cause the ATX database server to be inaccessible for the ATX program.

These can range from anti-virus, to firewall, to sleep state within the computer (i.e. if your computer is set to go to sleep mode at the 10 min mark of inactivity, the ATX service can shut itself off), to other, more mundane issues.

WITaxLady, does restarting the ATX 2013 Service in Admin Tools> Services help you any?

• Like 1

Perhaps this post which I copied from the ATX Board will help someone.

• Re: Can't connect to server error - An attempt was made to start the server process......
    I had the same problem. spent lot of time with customer support. they uninstalled & reinstalled ATX 2013. Took long time to complete Program update on reinstall. couldn't complete Forms update, taking for ever. Escalated to Tech Support. i was told that they can't help bcoz my processor speed was below the minimum system requirement and that there is NO option but for me to get a new computer which has atleast the recommended system requirements.

Then I did 2 things.

1. Followed Server Start/Restart process per Answer ID 14613 for Stand-alone setup.

2. (a) Right click on ATX2013 icon. go to property. go to Target. copy the path.

(b ) Went to my Anti-Virus program's anti-virus settings. select 'Exclusions' (from scanning). Added the 'Target' path by pasting it. saved the change.

© closed the ATX2013 program restarted it.

I did this just 2 days ago. so far it seems to be working. If I get the 'Server" message, I again follow the server 'Start/Restart' process and the program will open.

Hope, this helps you all out there wondering what to do

You might try adding the 'server' program too to the list of exclusions. Sfs.ServerHost.exe

I really cant be sure how much this helps because the error can be random, but since adding both of these to the excluded files, I haven't had the error as frequently.

I just spent an hour with the head development tech and the master architect for ATX2013. They went through my systems. I have never moved any file locations in the admin console, and there was NO issue there. If you have moved any thing in the Admin console, there is an app that must be run on your system that will indicate changes that need to be made.

As I have repeatedly stated, moving system files in the Admin Console would cause problems, now it is here, live and making itself known.

Tech support will need to do the corrections. I have the tools, but I do not have the time to assist with computer issues for people now. There were two other workstation issues concerning updated versions of forms on workstations we corrected as well.

One more time... Do not use the admin console unless directed by tech support. 90% of the cases with server retry issues have to do with this very thing.

Count me as one of the idiots that changed the file locations as directed by the included instructions. Everything was working fine until the 13.3 update, now we are getting the cannot connect to server errors on the clients. Retry is not working. The only way to get it going again is to run the ATX client on the server, then the clients can connect again until it crashes.

On top of this, We cannot access the Admin console since the 13.3 update to revert to the default settings.

Any help would be appreciated. When I call in the support people have not been much help.

Check your e-mail WITAXLADY. I am on this one with the design team looking for at least a workaround.

SCL, all her systems are WIN7 and are well up to spec. I was at her office and know this first hand.

It is called get their heads out of their asses admit they do not know what they are doing and start over. I can't believe we allow a company that designs a product that provides for our lively hood to get away with workaround after workaround. We are one of the 10% that did not move anything around and get the server error 3-5 times per return.

ONE MORE TIME!! This error is NOT related to the servers at ATX! The "server program" that is installed on every system and network is the one that cannot be connected to.

The term server has several definitions and each definition and attribute to the word is different. This confusion of definitions is causing tons of trouble with ATX users who are not as tech savvy as some of the rest of us.

I have been getting deflective and double talk answers from tech support and the developers. It is as if they do not want anyone to know that there is a problem and a solution.

The "system is not up to requirements" is male bovine scat as I have systems well ABOVE the recommendations that are having the same problem. I call B.S. on the equipment dodge by the tech people. I hope someone from ATX is watching here because I am about to send it to them in an e-mail as well.

CCH corporate personality is shining brightly again!! They still don't get it!!!

People think its the CCH server they cant connect to?

People think its the CCH server they cant connect to?

You are correct.

I keep repeating hoping everyone will read and understand.....

I keep repeating hoping everyone will read and understand.....

Well, imma tell you right now, less is more. And if you think I'm touching an Admin Console, you're outta your mind. I found a bunch of Egyptian hieroglyphics one step past where you told me backups were. Assume that's them. Not really the best way to name a backup, in my opinion, but hey, who am I to argue? A backup is a backup. :wub:

• Like 1

Well, imma tell you right now, less is more. And if you think I'm touching an Admin Console, you're outta your mind. I found a bunch of Egyptian hieroglyphics one step past where you told me backups were. Assume that's them. Not really the best way to name a backup, in my opinion, but hey, who am I to argue? A backup is a backup. :wub:

It Is? :scratch_head: