ATX Community

not only overwhelmed but getting very irritated at retry server

WITAXLADY

I don't normally post on message boards but I feel compelled to based on my experiences with ATX over the last two program years. ATX 2012 was a complete disaster and it looks like CCH learned from last years mistakes. While I feel 2013 is much improved over 2012, I still have my concerns.

My ATX 2013 have followed a similar pattern:

After installing the server only piece on our server, the built-in backup caused backups to occur in C:WindowsSystem32BackupDatabase, not the default backup folder and it filled our C: partition on our server to the point of it becoming full. In addition, the ATX database grew to a unmanageable size of >5GB and continued to grow until all free space was claimed rendering our server unusable. This happened to me on two different servers at two different locations. I did not change any settings or touch anything in the admin console. I left every thing set to defaults.

My only option was to uninstall the server and reinstall from scratch, then restore the database or import the returns from backup.

At one of my locations, ever since I updated to 13.3 I can not have two computers working simultaneously in ATX. I've narrowed it down to printing. The ATX 2013 Server service on our server crashes when someone prints a return closes the return then opens a new return.

I've disabled automatic backup and things have improved. My thought was there was too much processing happening when the machine was trying to do too many things at once. I have found that the only way to be productive is to have ATX run on a single workstation only. My 3 workstation 1 server set up has essentially been reduced to a single machine set up.

I'm frustrated to the point that I pull my hair out at the thought of having to work with ATX support to resolve the issue and I've done my own trial and error to narrow down/alleviate the problems on my own.

I don't normally post on message boards but I feel compelled to based on my experiences with ATX over the last two program years. ATX 2012 was a complete disaster and it looks like CCH learned from last years mistakes. While I feel 2013 is much improved over 2012, I still have my concerns.

My ATX 2013 have followed a similar pattern:

After installing the server only piece on our server, the built-in backup caused backups to occur in C:WindowsSystem32BackupDatabase, not the default backup folder and it filled our C: partition on our server to the point of it becoming full. In addition, the ATX database grew to a unmanageable size of >5GB and continued to grow until all free space was claimed rendering our server unusable. This happened to me on two different servers at two different locations. I did not change any settings or touch anything in the admin console. I left every thing set to defaults.

My only option was to uninstall the server and reinstall from scratch, then restore the database or import the returns from backup.

At one of my locations, ever since I updated to 13.3 I can not have two computers working simultaneously in ATX. I've narrowed it down to printing. The ATX 2013 Server service on our server crashes when someone prints a return closes the return then opens a new return.

I've disabled automatic backup and things have improved. My thought was there was too much processing happening when the machine was trying to do too many things at once. I have found that the only way to be productive is to have ATX run on a single workstation only. My 3 workstation 1 server set up has essentially been reduced to a single machine set up.

I'm frustrated to the point that I pull my hair out at the thought of having to work with ATX support to resolve the issue and I've done my own trial and error to narrow down/alleviate the problems on my own.

Update to 13.3. When you reinstalled, did you use the CD or the file from the website? You have many issues that need the attention of tech support to configure correctly.

The only ATX2013 that installed backup to the System32 folder was the preview (beta) version. It should have been completely removed and all folders associated with it before installing the release version.

Throw the installation instructions that came with the CD away, and hang the installation CD on the wall for decoration. I have posted several threads and posts about the problems you are experiencing.

Hi Jack,

The original installs were installed via CD. Since then, both instances have been updated to 13.2.1 and 13.3 respectively via file transfer during a support session with ATX. My 13.2.1 instance is running just fine. The 13.3 instance is having the issue I described above (server service crashing) and that was a fresh install of 13.3 via ATX support file transfer and it was installed yesterday.

Admin console is found in Return Manager, Support, About, then the link is at the bottom of the page.

No real reason to know its location as changing things there causes trouble unless you are absolutely sure of what and why you are changing things.

This should only be accessed at the instructions of Tech Support personnel. Currently 80% of the calls with trouble to ATX are related to people making changes there.