ATX Community

Ideas for next season

jshtax

We deal with client on an appointment basis every 2 hours. If a client comes in and does not have all their documents(missing k1, 1099, etc...) we try to accommodate them by the 15th. THIS STRESSES THE F OUT OF US. My thoughts for next year is 1 of 2 things. 1. Hire someone that once an appointment is finished you bring them in and explain what is missing and have them track the people down for missing documents and let them finalize the return and review with the preparer or 2. just tell people at the time of their meeting if you cant get it back by a certain date there is no guarantee it will be ready by the 15th?

Also....seeing how the extensions are a giant pain especially when they client has not come in as of 4/15 how do you guys approach extensions?

1. file for everyone in your system even if you have not heard from them?

2. only file for those that have contacted you or are still in progress?

3. print out all extensions at start of season for all clients from previous year and if they are not in by 4/15 mail the remaining ones in.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

We deal with client on an appointment basis every 2 hours. If a client comes in and does not have all their documents(missing k1, 1099, etc...) we try to accommodate them by the 15th. THIS STRESSES THE F OUT OF US. My thoughts for next year is 1 of 2 things. 1. Hire someone that once an appointment is finished you bring them in and explain what is missing and have them track the people down for missing documents and let them finalize the return and review with the preparer or 2. just tell people at the time of their meeting if you cant get it back by a certain date there is no guarantee it will be ready by the 15th?

Sounds like you are taking too much responsibility on yourself for THE CLIENT'S procrastination. I vote for #2.

Also....seeing how the extensions are a giant pain especially when they client has not come in as of 4/15 how do you guys approach extensions?

1. file for everyone in your system even if you have not heard from them?

2. only file for those that have contacted you or are still in progress?

3. print out all extensions at start of season for all clients from previous year and if they are not in by 4/15 mail the remaining ones in.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Again I vote for 2. You should not file unless you know the client wants you to.

• Like 1

This is a common problem and a great solution was suggested on another thread in the past week or so. The suggestion came from SFA in this thread

When a client drops off info, have them sign a simple statement that if you find info to be missing, it MAY be necessary to file an extension. The filing of the extension will be done at your discretion, based on your professional opinion on whether it is necessary.

I suggest that the statement not mention any dates or deadlines. That way you are not committed to ANY completion date, no matter how early they get their partial info to you. So a Feb 1 drop-off doesn't commit you to complete the return by the 15th of Apr if the client still owes you information. You make that determination based on when they get the rest of the info to you and based on your own workflow. A prime example is the problem of final brokerage statements all showing up on March 15-20, for example.

The statement should mention that you will not be responsible for any interest or failure to pay penalties which may be assessed. The filing of the extension will be for the purpose of avoiding late filing penalties only, it is a billable extra service, and you will not be responsible if it is subsequently rejected for any reason.

This could be a part of your engagement letter, but I lean toward making it a separate statement since it would only apply in certain situations.

• Like 7

I gotta do that, too... my letter currently says ALL info received BY March 20th, or you can _expect_ an extension. Too many people race to get me one or two items thinking that "holds their spot" and it does NOT.

I won't bill extra for extensions (since they help my work flow), and my assistant sends an email to everyone unheard-from at the end of March asking (1) are you coming back and if so (2) shall we e-file your no-info extension or have you mailed in something yourself? But putting in the part about not paying the late payment penalties or interest is good.

Great idea to start this topic. I am looking forward to seeing how others handle the questions you asked. We have to make some changes as well. I am jealous of those that were having a party on 4/15 - I was e-filing right up until midnight. Exhausted!

• Like 1

I move files back to the bottom of my stack when I find missing information, and I prepare first in-first out based on the top of the stack/complete file date.

I've communicated verbally re extensions, but like the more formal statement with signature above. I do email, but not consistently; at least an email with a response would establish the client's intent. I file extensions for everyone I've heard from over the last year, which means I might not have heard from them yet in 2014 but they were extended for 2013 so we worked together sometime after 15 April 2013, less than a year ago. (Block taught us the client relationship lasts one year.) I had a LOT of calls Monday and Tuesday from clients asking if I'd file extensions for them. I even filed one extension for a client with a NY rental house that had been talking about selling the house and going back to DIY tax prep; but she hadn't reported a house sale on her 2012 return with me, so I'd rather err on the side of filing an unnecessary extension than risk the failure-to-file penalty for her.

If I used my Scan & Flow software more consistently, it'd generate an email of missing information for my review and to send to the client. Actually, I have something similar within my tax prep software itself, that I also don't always use. I have my note paper in their folder listing my questions as I prepare, and I call or email when I'm ready.

A lot of these things could be done by someone else, if I had someone reliable. I have been getting my retired hubby to handle pickups/signatures when I don't need to discuss anything with the client at the time of signing and to make deliveries/signatures. Maybe I can get him to scan for me and do more client communication by next season.

There are only 5-10 returns I do without an appointment. They are restaurants that send me financials and I knock them out at my leisure. The rest are appointments and our schedule does not allow time to circle back around. I have also thought of cutting off appointments April 5th to give 2 weeks to finalize returns in progress. Last night was an eye opener trying to roll returns over then great extensions. It wasn't terrible but there has to be a better way. We still paper file to get a certified receipt for those just in case moments.

There are only 5-10 returns I do without an appointment. They are restaurants that send me financials and I knock them out at my leisure. The rest are appointments and our schedule does not allow time to circle back around. I have also thought of cutting off appointments April 5th to give 2 weeks to finalize returns in progress. Last night was an eye opener trying to roll returns over then great extensions. It wasn't terrible but there has to be a better way. We still paper file to get a certified receipt for those just in case moments.

An auditor told us the only CERTAIN way to verify an extension is the electronic acknowledgement. Certified does not cut it. "The card does not verify what was in the envelope." We have lost the argument for appealing late filing notices when the extension was mailed by Certified Mail just as I described. The only information that works is the electronic acknowledgment.

We e-filed every extension this year. A little more work, but the process will be smoother next year as the forms rollover. We extended 15 corporate and 300 personal.

• Like 3

I give thorough interviews, especially new clients, face-to-face when warranted, telephone, whatever works. But, I don't try to prepare the return while interviewing. I don't wait for them to find numbers on my ceiling or pour through their check registers or call their spouse or go into their bank/brokerage/HSA/whatever account on my computer. I send them home with a list of information to get -- before I start their returns -- and give back to me in one big list, hopefully. When I receive that last piece of information, I confirm receipt via email, and IF they've asked tell them my turnaround time at that time or if I'm putting them on extension.

I don't charge for extensions as they spread my work throughout the year. (But, all my clients are continuing clients.) I put ALL new clients on extension to have time to review their prior year returns and add to my list of questions before starting on their current returns.

I efiled almost all extensions, mostly for the reason Jack stated about having electronic acknowledgements. I mailed a very few paper extensions when it was faster than setting up new clients in my system or for the dwindling types of returns I'm not set up to efile (partnerships and some one-time states). I even efiled all the CT extensions on the CT website as CT doesn't accept efiled extensions via my software. (If any of you CT preparers have mastered the TSC, please private message me!)

An auditor told us the only CERTAIN way to verify an extension is the electronic acknowledgement. Certified does not cut it. "The card does not verify what was in the envelope." We have lost the argument for appealing late filing notices when the extension was mailed by Certified Mail just as I described. The only information that works is the electronic acknowledgment.

We e-filed every extension this year. A little more work, but the process will be smoother next year as the forms rollover. We extended 15 corporate and 300 personal.

This is where the IRS is f'd up. They have accepted the certified extension for us in the past.

I am jealous of those that were having a party on 4/15

Me, too! I spent most of the day yesterday with slackers I mean people picking up, double checking stuff, and I would have missed two extensions if I hadn't. Also filed some city and county business tax returns for my year-round bookkeeping folks. I left at 5:15 and thought, "What do I do? It's still light outside."

I'm here now catching up on bookkeeping and payroll tax returns. My office is a wreck, but it sure is nice with that phone not ringing and that door not opening. It's like a cruise really. Except for the sun and oil.

• Like 5

Me, too! I spent most of the day yesterday with slackers I mean people picking up, double checking stuff, and I would have missed two extensions if I hadn't. Also filed some city and county business tax returns for my year-round bookkeeping folks. I left at 5:15 and thought, "What do I do? It's still light outside."

I'm here now catching up on bookkeeping and payroll tax returns. My office is a wreck, but it sure is nice with that phone not ringing and that door not opening. It's like a cruise really. Except for the sun and oil.

Darling, you have clearly been working too hard, for too long. When a 'quite day working" feels like a vacation, it's time for at least a couple of days of REAL vacation. At least a day at home, alone, doing nothing but resting and indulging yourself, long soak, decadent desert, phone turned off, etc. NOT CLEANING THE HOUSE, NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT NEEDS IT. [Yes, if the office is a wreck, I know the house probably is too.] Please take care of yourself.

All those jobs will keep, you know. And you will be better able to do them after a little rest.

• Like 6

Rita you are welcome to come here for a visit!

Or here! Anytime, if you like snow! I actually prepared one return today, went to lunch with hubby and took a nap with the phone unplugged. I feel like a zombie, but a happy one. Yes, for now, one a day is just about right! Hair appt tomorrow, a little shopping.....oh, such bliss! Tomorrow, my license plate will tell the true story, though I won't be driving my Jeep if we get the possible snowstorm that is predicted for tonight. No salty roads for my baby. I may just be one of very few Great-Grandmas who drives a Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland with all the toys.; many of which have never been used. This has been an unforgettable tax season. Even after all these months, I still love what I do and who I deal with either in this office or on this board. However, the relief from the pressure is awesome.

• Like 6

By 7:30 on the 15th I was the last to leave the office. Then went to our local pub and played trivia and drank 7&7's. Followed up with a second pub and saw a lot of friends and just had fun. Yeah. That's how it's done! :P (Picked up my truck the next day). ;)

Or here! Anytime, if you like snow! I actually prepared one return today, went to lunch with hubby and took a nap with the phone unplugged. I feel like a zombie, but a happy one. Yes, for now, one a day is just about right! Hair appt tomorrow, a little shopping.....oh, such bliss! Tomorrow, my license plate will tell the true story, though I won't be driving my Jeep if we get the possible snowstorm that is predicted for tonight. No salty roads for my baby. I may just be one of very few Great-Grandmas who drives a Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland with all the toys.; many of which have never been used. This has been an unforgettable tax season. Even after all these months, I still love what I do and who I deal with either in this office or on this board. However, the relief from the pressure is awesome.

I am seriously contemplating a trip back to your place for that racing spectacular that happens up there. I might drive and bring enough equipment to properly set that system up in your vacation home. More driving, but I can bring a trunk full of stuff! Then I can take home as much of the AWESOME cheese like that block you graciously gave me as a gift when I was there.

However, it will NOT be in the wintertime!!!

• Like 2

I shut my phone off at 5pm on the 15th & announced the shop was closed for the rest of the week on my Facebook page. Yesterday I got my hair done & ran some errands, & met friends for coffee. Today I washed dishes and am contemplating cleaning my house from the comfort of my couch, iPad on my lap. Plan on getting a mani/pedi, but the couch has it's hold on me...

Tomorrow my assistant is coming in and she said we were going to get my desk clean....and vacuum. Yes, ma'am, I sez to her. I need to give her a raise...

• Like 2

I am seriously contemplating a trip back to your place for that racing spectacular that happens up there. I might drive and bring enough equipment to properly set that system up in your vacation home. More driving, but I can bring a trunk full of stuff! Then I can take home as much of the AWESOME cheese like that block you graciously gave me as a gift when I was there.

However, it will NOT be in the wintertime!!!

We did install a new modem and secured the connection. We installed a remote thermostat; which was wonderful for a while. We also installed a single remote camera to watch the sump pump pit. Also wonderful for a while. However, the internet connection keeps going out and until we go up there to reset the modem, we cannot access either device. When I am up there for more than one day will have to call the provider to find out why we keep losing the signal.

Rita you are welcome to come here for a visit!

I like the idea that you are keeping Rita on the East Coast. She SERIOUSLY scares me.

"I've actually been eating popcorn and stalking people on FaceBook a good bit today."

I am glad I don't play on facebook.

Love ya Rita, as long as the Mississippi is between us.

Tom

Hollister, CA

• Like 2