ATX Community

Create an Off Topic section for the forum?

Eric

Create new Off Topic section?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. for discussion that's not tax related

• Yes, create Off Topic
    • No, leave things the way they are

Funny is OK here -- but endless reports on and responses to what someone has eaten or is going to eat are tiresome, stale, and boring. Get a new act, please.

If you're going to set up another section, make it for reports on what is going into (or coming out of) people's bodies.

Funny is OK here -- but endless reports on and responses to what someone has eaten or is going to eat are tiresome, stale, and boring. Get a new act, please.

If you're going to set up another section, make it for reports on what is going into (or coming out of) people's bodies.

TSK TSK.............Some people take themselves too seriously.

Anal-retentive I would say.

Booger

I would prefer a separate off topic area. I skip over the off topic posts anyway, so it will make it that much easier for me.

Now if we could also find a way to parse out the, how did KC put it, "sarcastic meaningless replies to sincere questions", that would be even better!

I would rather see a section where serious answers with cites are copied for reference after being posted here. I like this one the way it is.

I would prefer a separate off topic area. I skip over the off topic posts anyway, so it will make it that much easier for me.

Now if we could also find a way to parse out the, how did KC put it, "sarcastic meaningless replies to sincere questions", that would be even better!

I would rather see a section where serious answers with cites are copied for reference after being posted here. I like this one the way it is.

I like that suggestion. The nuggets of humor as we work are useful, the sarcasm I usually ignore, the menus only serve to make me jealous but I would love to have a more concise way to look up answers that I remember but didn't need at the time. The drawback is that I don't know who would have the time sort the wheat from the chaff and move it to the other board. KC has the knowledge and ability, but sometimes I think we expect to much of her. She already contributes more than her share here.

It would be more useful to me if NT / OT were separated, but I can live with it either way. I'll just skip the topics or posters I don't like to read. Even with separate sections, some OT & e-file postings would still end up in the tax section. It happened on the old ATX board too. So if it saves money & bandwidth to keep it the way it is, then do so.

Two things I don't appreciate are:

1) the total hijacking of a thread onto another topic (instead just start a new topic), and

2) as KC pointed out, the growing number of sarcastic posts by a handful of individuals. These serve no purpose here other than to undermine the helpful & friendly tone we have going.

I've voted (to leave as is). I do have 2 questions:

1)Would adding another section increase bandwidth used and/or the cost of the board?

2)Wouldn't another section create more work for the people generous enough to moderate/run/manage the community?

Cathy

PS I don't have a big practice. I don't post often. During off-season I barely come here. But I LOVE this board. Don't know where I'd be during tax season if I didn't have it! Thanks for the work that has gone into it and thanks to everyone who posts here!

I voted to leave as is. With the busy season, who has time to look at another section for a laugh of the day? This morning I was scanning the new posts and saw KC's joke. It started the day off right - but I wouldn't have gone looking for it.

Wendy

I voted to leave as is. With the busy season, who has time to look at another section for a laugh of the day? This morning I was scanning the new posts and saw KC's joke. It started the day off right - but I wouldn't have gone looking for it.

Wendy

Some of the funniest and day-making posts are stumbled upon enexpectedly....Leave things as they are

I like oatmeal cookies better than chocolate chip

I've voted (to leave as is). I do have 2 questions:

1)Would adding another section increase bandwidth used and/or the cost of the board?

2)Wouldn't another section create more work for the people generous enough to moderate/run/manage the community?

Cathy

PS I don't have a big practice. I don't post often. During off-season I barely come here. But I LOVE this board. Don't know where I'd be during tax season if I didn't have it! Thanks for the work that has gone into it and thanks to everyone who posts here!

1) From a performance / bandwidth point of view, there is really no difference. It would only take a moment to add a new forum, so really besides your second question, the only variable is what you folks would prefer.

2) That is a possibility. With the vote as close as it is, this might be the deciding factor for now.