ATX Community

Paid preparer on my own tax returns

BobH

Bob might want to block out the paid preparer info on his personal return or that of family members or others he does for free.  Can you add a new preparer to the software slot who is named "personal return" or "not completed by a paid preparer"?  That's what we do in UltraTax.

That's what I do. I have a preparer set up in my software whose name is "..". That's sufficient to leave the Paid Preparer info blank. I prefer to do it that way when I'm not paid to prepare a return (personal, family, charity).

I've heard people boast "I sign all my work". I agree with them in principle. My signature is the quality of the work on free returns being the same as on paid returns - not a name scribbled at the bottom of one page. Plus, I like to follow the rules as they are written.

John, are you doing that in Drake? When I looked at Drake's preparer setup, it requires a separate login for each preparer and must also have a PTIN for efiling. So if you are entering for preparer "..", what is the PTIN entered?  Or are you filing these on paper?   Seems like a hassle, and I agree with Jack on this and show my paid preparer info on all returns.

John, are you doing that in Drake? When I looked at Drake's preparer setup, it requires a separate login for each preparer and must also have a PTIN for efiling. So if you are entering for preparer "..", what is the PTIN entered? Or are you filing these on paper? Seems like a hassle, and I agree with Jack on this and show my paid preparer info on all returns.

I'm paper filing with the 8944 attached.

I have a hardship waiver number.

It is quite a hassle to go to the client info screen and click on that alternate preparer, but I struggle through the ordeal. :). Or I could write a macro...

• Like 1

But why would anyone sign as a PAID preparer when they aren't being paid to complete the return?  You don't need IRS guidance for that--the signature section specifically says "Paid preparer use only."  There was a lively discussion on another blog a few months ago about how to get delinquent clients to pay up.  Several posters threatened to write to the IRS to request that their name be removed as a paid preparer.  Most said the clients immediately paid.

It is quite a hassle to go to the client info screen and click on that alternate preparer, but I struggle through the ordeal. :). Or I could write a macro...

Oops, I've never clicked on that field because I thought that was only for offices with multiple preparers, so I didn't realize it had a choice for 'none' to indicate self-prepared.  I would have removed the paid preparer designation from my own returns if I'd known it was that simple. I learned something new tonight.  lol