ATX Community

Extension with green card app in process

Margaret CPA in OH

Client's daughter married Frenchman but lives here.  His application for a green card is very slowly making its way through the bureaucracy.  They thought he would receive his ssn by filing date in October but now doesn't seem likely.

Do they paper file MFJ with 'applied for' in his ssn field?  If so, do they attach application documentation or other?  I have just begun research on this but am hoping one of you has been there, done that and are willing to chime in.  Of course I feel terribly guilty now following the thread of asking for help before doing all my own homework :wub: but promise to do it, too.

Thanks for any clues!

I don't understand the purpose of applying for an ITIN when the green card application is already in process and will produce a ssn.  I don't have any foreign clients that have had to go through this process.  All is in order by the time I get them.  I welcome the education and thanks for the quick reply so far!

MAS is right.

If the foreigner was here for 183 days in 2013, apply for an ITIN and include all income for both of them. Paper file, send form W-7 with his passport and send the whole enchilada to Texas.

If the foreigner was not here in 2013 for 183 days, then do the same thing as above and include a letter stating that the non-resident person wants to be treated as a resident for tax purposes.

You don't know if you will get a green card until you have it in your hands. In the meantime, they want to file their taxes and that's the only route right now.

• Like 1

Margaret

Ask your client if his son-in-law has filed I-485 application to register permanent residence or adjust status (this is part of green card process). If he in fact has filed I-485 then he can become eligible to file employment authorization document I-765, approval of this document would make him eligible for SS number.

Let's say he says "yes, I filed I-765 when I sent my adjustment of status". Then what? You still don't have a Social Security card, you still need to apply for an ITIN.

There are many questions you can ask such as "Did you submit your fingerprints yet or are you still waiting for them to send you that letter?", let say the answer is "yes, I did my fingerprints 6 months ago". Then what? you still don't have a social security card and you still need to apply for an ITIN.

Normally, I collect all the info needed to do the job I was hired to do and I let the immigration lawyer deal with the rest.

• Like 1

Thanks, Pacun, for even much more to consider.  This person is actually the daughter of a client and they are currently out of state at relative's funeral.  What I did was copy information from IRS.gov about Nonresident Spouse Treated as a  Resident  and stated that 'I very strongly suggest that you not try all this through Turbo Tax.  Engage an Enrolled Agent or CPA with some experience and/or who can help you get through this first filing.  It will be worth the cost.'

Because I am not engaged to prepare this return, I haven't all the information and little opportunity to ask multiple questions.  I was just trying to steer her in the right general direction.  She/they still have some weeks to get it together by October 15th.

Thanks again!

Pacun

As I said in my previous post his basis of eligibility for social security number is employment authorization document (EAD). If he is granted EAD card and walk in a SS office, SS number will be assigned to him. Keep in mind again his basis of EAD card is filing of I-485, the underlying application.

Pacun

As I said in my previous post his basis of eligibility for social security number is employment authorization document (EAD). If he is granted EAD card and walk in a SS office, SS number will be assigned to him. Keep in mind again his basis of EAD card is filing of I-485, the underlying application.

We can speculate and ask many questions, the reality is that he doesn't have a SS card with him and needs to file his taxes. That's one of the reason why ITINs were invented.