ATX Community

WOULD YOU PREPARE RETURNS FOR INTUIT ?

Lee B

FROM TAX PRO TODAY

October 28, 2014

Intuit has enhanced its program for tax professionals, adding new benefits and opening it to enrolled agents.

The online program, called Personal Pro, connects tax pros with potential individual clients and small-business owners who need a tax return prepared.

Previously known as CPA Select, it has been refreshed and is now available for enrolled agents.

The average tax pro can get as many as 40-50 new clients through the program, according to Intuit, and they can use any tax prep software. Once they’ve prepared a return, they create an invoice and upload the finished tax docs. Intuit handles the billing, and after the client has paid and approved the return, the tax pro files the return. Preparers receive 75 percent of the gross revenue, with Intuit issuing payments for completed clients on a monthly basis

I don't think I could prepare returns for clients that I hadn't met face to face

I wouldn't see this as much different than preparing returns for H&R or another tax business. I would expect them to do pretty good on the overall legality and processes. They probably even handle record retention and all that. What I would fear is they'd pressure me into doing something I didn't want to do. Preparing questionable EIC returns for example or giving people work that is beyond their skill. My name, my PTIN is ultimately there on the return if preparer penalties happen.

I wouldn't prepare a cup of coffee for Intuit.  . . . . . . Therefore, that is not the reasoning behind my not preparing for Intuit.

I haven't used any Intuit programs in a long time, it's a personal preference.

I'm just curious why you feel so strongly ?

I haven't used any Intuit programs in a long time, it's a personal preference.

I'm just curious why you feel so strongly ?

It goes way back to when they purchased Parsons Tech and then offered us users THEIR software at exorbitant rates.  Since then, I have observed their business methods of jerking prices and renewals around.  I used to use ProSeries when it was Turbo Tax and I was working for another accountant.  She had to pay for every single separate module that she added on.  I converted her to ATX Max and she did business happily ever after until she retired; and saved a good deal of money in the process.  This is clearly just my opinion.; and is not meant to influence anyone else.

• Like 3

The issue is greater than merely not seeing the clients.

It involves professional integrity of the preparer, professional ethics standards required by Circular 230, and the continuous liability it creates in not knowing

your clients personally.

Would you accept the diagnosis of a physician who doesn't even examine you in his/her office at least once?

With all sorts of preparer penalty issues, due diligence issues, etc, - you've got to be crazy to blindly take on clients from Intuit.

If you're that desperate to prepare returns - why not open up a kiosk as some promoter advertises?

It goes way back to when they purchased Parsons Tech and then offered us users THEIR software at exorbitant rates.  Since then, I have observed their business methods of jerking prices and renewals around.  I used to use ProSeries when it was Turbo Tax and I was working for another accountant.  She had to pay for every single separate module that she added on.  I converted her to ATX Max and she did business happily ever after until she retired; and saved a good deal of money in the process.  This is clearly just my opinion.; and is not meant to influence anyone else.

My objection to them is mostly to their advertising methods.  They run ads implying that "anyone" can prepare their own return just as well as a professional by just using their software.  Clearly untrue.  They do the same thing with their other software. 

• Like 1

My objection to them is mostly to their advertising methods.  They run ads implying that "anyone" can prepare their own return just as well as a professional by just using their software.  Clearly untrue.  They do the same thing with their other software. 

As they say about QuickBooks, if you can write a check you can do your own bookkeeping.  Implying that you are  just as good as a professional.

• Like 1

Grand Poo Bah, you sure got to the heart of the matter.  First Intuit was advertising that anyone could do their own taxes using Turbo Tax.  The last few years they have offered professional advice for the do-it your-selfers from CPAs.  Maybe not enough signed on so they then included EAs.   Intuit actually called me at home a few years back to ask if I wanted to become an advisor.  I told them what I'm sure all the other CPAs and EAs told them--that I already work 60-70 hours a week during tax season and couldn't give them another hour.

Now it seems they are moving beyond the DIY or DIY-with-advice parameters and getting into preparation.  If their software was so "intuitive," why would people even need advice or referral to a professional?

We've all had clients come in because they tried TT and gave up because they owed.  Or something out of the ordinary happened this year and they came in with last years TT return.  After we reviewed it and discovered they had cheated themselves out of a few grand in deductions or credits, they vow never again.  Or, worst case, they come in with an IRS notice because they messed up royally.  I once had a couple in that situation who made way too much to claim any education credits but somehow were able to override the TT system and claim them.  They had read that if you had a kid in college you can get all this money but never read the fine print and just assumed the software was wrong.  How they overrode TT I can only guess.

I'm not saying that people shouldn't do their own taxes or that TT isn't useful to those who can.  Folks with simple Sch A and B returns should be able to manage it.

It seems that Intuit now wants it both ways (three ways actually):  Our software is so great anyone can do their own taxes; if you get stuck we offer professional advice; if you give up we can refer you to people who know what they're doing.

• Like 3

No blind dates for me. What would motivate a client to use this service and what kind of a gimmick is Intuit using to attract them?  Why should I donate 25% of my revenue to Intuit?

And even worse "with Intuit issuing payments for completed clients on a monthly basis" ?  Wow, how could anyone resist an offer like that?

• Like 1