ATX Community

2014 ATX Install

SunTaxMan

No, you are not missing anything.

I had a hard time installing the Payroll program, and once I did the preparer info was not populated nor available for rollover; nor was I able to rollover my clients.  On attempting to rollover clients received the message that I needed to update forms.  But there were no forms available for update. 

I downloaded ATX Max without any problems (or so I thought) but when opening the program had to enter my installation codes and now (at 6 pm) it's installing 524 form updates.  I am able to see all clients in the Rollover Manager, and was able to rollover and open two of them (mine and one of my son's). 

Now the system wants me to download over 3000 forms, a task for tomorrow.

Lynn

ERO and Preparer names do not populate and there does not seem to be a method of importing information from last year. Am I missing something?

Thanks

Couple of possibilities ---   If you do not populate the preparers and/or ERO before you rollover last years clients, etc. you will have to add the "preparer and ERO" individually to each tax return that was rolled over.  To add the preparers before the rollover, under the return manager tab go to the "Preparer/ERO" icon, click icon and then at the bottom of the box that comes up, use add new. Hopefully you only have a few to add.

If you do not have any entries in the "Preparer/ERO" section when you rollover last years clients, you may have to individually add to the return; the preparer, etc. for each return rolled over. Not as bad as it sounds as you simply set the "Preparer/ERO" up as described above and then it is a three click process to add to an existing return.

Possibly when initially rolling over the returns from last year, you could simply check the boxes at the bottom of the rollover manager page -- one of which is "preparers" .  I missed that on my initial rollover  and had to do the individual -- Add -- for preparer/ERO  but by clicking the "preparer" box BEFORE the rollover. it MAY help you prevent that.   To be safe, I would populate under the "Return Manager" tab, the "preparer/ERO" icon before I rolled anything over.

Hope this helps.

No, you are not missing anything.

I had a hard time installing the Payroll program, and once I did the preparer info was not populated nor available for rollover; nor was I able to rollover my clients.  On attempting to rollover clients received the message that I needed to update forms.  But there were no forms available for update. 

I downloaded ATX Max without any problems (or so I thought) but when opening the program had to enter my installation codes and now (at 6 pm) it's installing 524 form updates.  I was able to rollover all clients, and opened two of them (mine and one of my son's). 

Now the system wants me to download over 3000 forms, a task for tomorrow.

Lynn

Why do you walk into the minefield of rolling over all your clients this early?  Only roll them when it is time to work them.  DANGER DANGER DANGER

• Like 2

I went into the Preparer Manager like we always had to and entered all of the information rather than try to fool around with something new.  All of my info is now there and when I rolled over my "test" return,; it was on that return also. 

I entered it all again on the Payroll module.  It only takes a few minutes; rather than trying to mess with something that I don't understand.  At this point, I am good to go on one computer.

Why do you walk into the minefield of rolling over all your clients this early?  Only roll them when it is time to work them.  DANGER DANGER DANGER

My friend has used ProSeries for the last 10 years. Each year in January, she rolls over every freaking return. She has about 2K current clients but her system has more than 5K clients. Her employees complain about the slowness of the network and I keep telling her about the extra burden on the network. She says that her "input" employee doesn't know how to roll over returns and that's why she is doing it.

If a client didn't come back the following year, there is a 95% changes that he will not come back in the future. So, I don't roll over any until I have them in front of me.

• Like 5

Tell your friend to rollover smaller batches.  The next day's appointments or the next week's appointments, for example, plus any who just dropped off.

Or train her "input" employee to rollover returns as needed.  Don't see why that would be difficult.  If it is, she should not be trusting employee to enter data.

• Like 3

I always roll over my appointments in the morning before I start my day. I fill in all the crap like e-file signature dates, preparer, ERO, etc so I don't have to do it while the client is waiting.  But I don't roll over any return early but my own.  That is the one I test the software on.

Tom

Newark, CA

• Like 6

And by rolling over the returns, only when they have arrived, you have a way in ATX Return Manager to track your progress thru tax season. 

Plus, since many forms are not available, the lack of forms *now* slows down rollover.  Later on the forms are available and rollover is quicker.

And then I rollover the business returns to be extended on March 14th.  Prep them for extension, and wait for those returns to come in.  Same thing at April 14th.

Rich

• Like 4

In regards to rollover of paid preparer information... best practices:

In ATX 2014, after install and open, go to rollover manager; once it populates, just click the 'Rollover' button. ATX, by default, automatically has Paid Preparer, Payers, Companies, and EIN sets auto-marked for Rollover. Once this completes, you can setup Preferences for Paid Preparer information in regards to new returns and rollovers. Then proceed to rollover returns normally.

In Payroll Compliance Reporting, you actually have to rollover at least one return. I'd recommend a small 1099 return; when you checkmark it, and hit the Rollover button, you will see a pop-up in regards to rolling over other information - Paid Preparer, Companies, Payers, etc. Check mark those, complete the rollover, and then setup preferences.

I was pleasantly surprised by the download and install this year.  No hiccups, no real delays, just the normal "first time you open it up" stuff that is normal.  Not a lot of forms available yet for my personal return.  IRS has reserved some space on the returns for the expected extenders.  All in all it looks good so far considering we are only at Dec 8th.

Tom

Newark, CA

• Like 3