ATX Community

ATX 2014 can't connect to server

zavidor

Attempt to open ATX 2014 results in the following message:

An attempt was made to start the server process, but the application is still unable to connect.  Please start the server and try again."

Similar problems were experienced in ATX 2013.

Tech support could not yet resolve the issue. 

Any others experiencing same?  Any resolutions?

It is the same problem as 2013.  Look for it to be a bug all season.  The server portion of the program is not robust enough to handle the job it has been given.  As you get more returns, or as more workstations log in, this will occur more often.

Just keep clicking retry till it finally works.  This was supposed to be fixed between 2013 & 2014.  Again, management and development are on two different tracks.

Call and complain.  Send e-mails every day it happens.

But, as you know, Jack:  I am not networked.  One of my computers just seems to think that I am.  There is always the chance that I might have clicked on the wrong installation method. 

We played this game dozens of time last year as well.  The problem originates with the program.  Till the programmers make it a priority to fix, this will be a nagging issue all year, just as in tax year 2013.

Call tech support numerous times, send multiple emails to [email protected] .  Maybe, if enough complaints are lodged, there may be some action, but don't hold your breath.

We have done ALL the suggestions from ATX and still have the issue.  This has been true since the last major program update catastrophe in Feb. 2014.  The design team just does not get it.

The problem is that only a few people get an error message as the one described. Many of us never see those errors and if we see them, we only click "try again" and it never comes back. Maybe that's the reason why they don't pay attention to a problem that could be a local computer issue.

I'm one of those who see it but don't complain. I just click one or twice and it goes away. I do notice that it appears to follow Murphy's Law. If I'm in a hurry, it's much more likely to occur, and I'm much more likely to need to click multiple times. And if there's a client on the phone waiting for his return to open, the error message is more likely to pop up behind another open window, so I don't even realize it's waiting for a response from me. :)

• Like 2

I have nearly three hundred clients and this is the first time that I have ever seen it; and then; only on one computer.  I used the 2013 software on that same computer last year.  I don't consider it a "biggee"; just a slight nuisance.  Have to load it once more on a brand new computer; which means installing 2013 as well.  Hoping for the best, but if this is the worst that happens I am willing to wait.  After all, it's a long time before we are able to file our first returns.

• Like 1

I recommend running ATX on an SSD. I recommend SSDs, period. Two years from now, I expect I will only have SSDs in my computers.

ATX doesn't run noticeably faster on an SSD drive, but I doubt you'll get a server connection error.I only got the server connection error a few times this year and every time I popped up Task Manager (Ctrl Shift Esc) and my HD was maxed out at 100% every time.

I installed ATX2014 on our server yesterday.  The server connect/retry problem popped up before I was finished setting up and rolling over preparer and preferences.

I have used a SSD for the past 2 tax seasons.  The server connect/retry shows up constantly on my workstation. 

The problem is NOT hardware, and do not let any tech service person tell you that.  The problem is the way the program is structured, and will never be fixed.  Just plan on living with it from now on.

If the issue were "the way the program is structured" then the issue would be constant and in all computers. Why don't you check the stay resident crapware or programs on your computer? I have seen the issue only when I need to do something on a fly and I turn on my computer and while booting up I open ATX.

In reality, I have not had any issues with ATX from the very beginning and I was using XP before and Windows 7 Pro. I have always been admin to the local computer and my computers are clean without any "start and stay resident" programs.

• Like 1

I must be the luckiest person ever with ATX.  I don't recall ever seeing that message (except when my internet service was down) and I've been using ATX since 1997 tax year.  Better go buy a lottery ticket!

I'm going with you to buy a ticket, Margaret.  Cause I am the co-luckiest person ever with ATX and have never seen that message, either. 

I must be the luckiest person ever with ATX.  I don't recall ever seeing that message (except when my internet service was down) and I've been using ATX since 1997 tax year.  Better go buy a lottery ticket!

Margaret, I am the second luckiest and I do have powerball and megamillions tickets. I bought 5 numbers of each for 20 weeks which will run until the next year.

I do believe this is the problem: I believe that at the moment you click to open ATX, your internet connection is not at its best and ATX demands a certain bandwidth. If the internet connection is shaky at that moment, then ATX gives you that generic message. I also believe that you can control "do not check to update forms" but as an ATX user you cannot prevent the program from checking ATX website for updates or legitimacy of the ATX program.

You really do not understand.  The server connect/retry had nothing to do with the internet.  Until you read all the posts and understand how the program works, maybe you should refrain from offering advice.

Server connectivity has nothing to do with the Internet??? I do believe it does when you first click on ATX. Do you get that message at any other point besides when you first open ATX?

The program could be program to operate this way: If there is an internet connection, contact server. If Internet connection is busy from Client, send that nice message to Jack. If our servers are busy attending other requests, send that message to Jack. If there is no Internet connection, AND computer is not busy doing other, then open program and don't send a message to Jack. What do you think?

When you have weird errors (this one is because it doesn't happen all the time and not in all computers), you don't rule out any possibility if you want to be successful in finding a workaround or solution. So, please don't rule out the internet connection since you believe there is not a solution to the issue.

You keep speaking from a point of TOTALLY not understanding.  This problem shows up a hundred times a day on our network.  It IS a PROGRAM DESIGN issue.  It is NOT related to connection to the ATX server online. 

I will not post any more technical answers as you seem to be the one with the most experience with the internal workings of the program.

Those that choose to listen to you, do so at their own risk.

No one is listening to me. I am just trying to figure out this issue with the help of users. Everybody is smart enough to know that you know and when it is time to follow your advice, they do. I am just trying to see if there is a solution to the issue before I start pointing fingers to a program that is working perfectly for a lot of people. Do you know how many people use ATX? There are many people with that issue and there are many more without that issue.  For you to give up and say that it is a structural issue on the program is not a good solution to a problem.  In any event, I am not giving advice, I am just sharing my experience and what I think the issue is. I am not suggesting anything except to pay attention to the Internet connection at the moment of opening ATX. I started a new post to see what users with issue have in common with me or among themselves and I hope you participate on that post too.

• Like 1

Server connectivity has absolutely nothing to do with internet connection. It pertains to network connectivity (network only), and how fast the server portion of the program responds (standalone and network). 

The server portion of the program is structured to run through X amount of files... say... 10,000. These files are only form updates, system indexes, and the like.... no actually tax return files, or tax data. However, corrupted form updates, broken index, corruption, etc... can exceed the file count size. This then slows the server process down, which generates the 'Retry' error. With that being said... if you see one or two retry messages... click retry and keep going. If you start getting a whole slew of them... call support; they can resolve it (for the most part).

In regards to network connectivity... if your network is not working at proper parameters (say... 100/1000 network switch, CAT 5 minimum cabling, and all hardwired)... that will generate the Retry message, because it takes longer than expected for program and database to communicate.

• Like 2

So, if you have the root of the issue, why do you think you still have that issue intermittently?  Besides, people claim this is not a network or cabling issue and they blame a “structural issue” with ATX.

How will you explain that the “server issue” appears on a stand alone computer since there is no cable or network involved? The stand alone version of ATX only communicates with the computer itself so nothing leaves the box (according to you). But you bring a good point about the network. Maybe the protocol among the computers and the protocols available and enabled on the computers have something to do with some people getting the error more frequently. Keep in mind that IP has two versions, making them virtually two protocols.

I know how the "server" word is used. As a matter of fact, prior to this year, there was no "network" install, so I know.

What I am saying that no matter what you have (network or stand alone), there are bits of communication outside the box if the computer is connected to the Internet as soon as click on ATX.

Let me get a snifter and I will tell you what kind of communication takes place. I said a snifter because I need a good cognac.

Luckily I am one of those that almost do not get Can not Connect to Server error. I connect this to the fact that I have I7 CPU, 8 Gb of RAM, and SSD. Before upgrading to SSD (same CPU and RAM) I would get the error at least several times a day. After I installed SSD, and obviously clean Win 7 installation, I received the error just a few times during the entire last year season. 

Save yourself time and upgrade your PC.

I largely agree with Jack. Let's put this issue to rest.

After a disastrous tax season (two, really; 2012 and 2013), among other events, we lost at least half our clients. After logging over 4000 clients in the 2009 season, we bottomed out (hopefully) at 1400 during 2013. The 2012 and 2013 redesigns could not have happened at a worst time for our company; it was the perfect storm of hardware issues, software issues, and a huge array of personnel and policy issues, combined with two tax seasons that were delayed by the IRS.

Since I was tasked to pull our company out of this swan dive, I've invested in the following:

SERVER: Dell PowerEdge T320
SERVER OS: Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials
WORKSTATIONS: Dell XPS 8700

... all of which were obtained and installed by October. Total hardware expense was about $15000, with a few hundred dollars of labor for technical advice.

I migrated our ATX2008 through ATX2013 files onto the new server, then made them alive on each workstation. That worked well enough, although rollover detection was random.

Then I loaded ATX 2014. First on the server, then on the senior preparer's machine. I did all the updates and rollover of preparers and ERO, then I let the machine sit overnight. The next day, I made a new tax return just to try it out. Seemed OK.

Then I went from PC to PC, loading up ATX2014. As you know, this is a multi-step process, where you load it from the DVD, then you start it, then select the ATX server it talks to. (In this case, the server is the file server, running Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials.)

On just one machine, the last one, but no different than the rest, I had problems. When I ran ATX 2014 the first time, it detected the file server, was set to that, and then it silently crashed. After I restarted ATX 2014, 3 minutes later it gave me the "retry" message... the first I've seen of it in months.

This just isn't a hardware issue. There's nothing particularly wrong with my computers and server. I think there's an instability that's in the program that's poorly understood by ATX. And I say all this by stating in addition that we have no serious desire to choose another app vendor; we're with ATX to stay.

If we regain our client base due to extensive investment and advertising, then we're looking to put 2000 entries into our ATX 2014 database.
  • Like 1

Freedom Tax... I like your input and I feel bad about that but I think you don't have a contingency plan. I do understand that as large as you are it is hard to make changes quickly to adjust. Same thing happens to the government and any large company. My friend has more clients than you now and last year was very bad for her because she uses Proseries and her computer guy was saving saving data and programs on C:. I programmed that server and work stations and everything worked for 3 years but when that guy run out of space he freaked out and bought 4 huge hard drive and recreated the domain thinking that if the domain and server would have the same names, all computers will have no issues connecting. BIG mistake, not only did he spend like 200 hours working in December 2013 getting ready for 2014 tax season, but when the tax season started it was a mess. My friend called me back and i barely make the network and computers work and they survived. After tax season my friend said, can you fix it? I said, yes, I need a server and 2 new work stations. She didn't want to spend the money and I said, call that guy back and he will fix it. She said, NO, I don't want that guy to touch my domain and computers and she forked out the money. This  is my plan, to have both domains on the same net for a while and the gradually kill the old one as issues are solved. She is panicking now because I have been in her office only for about 6 hours and she thinks I will not be ready. I powered up the server and work stations, run the updates, install Antivirus, joined the workstations  to the domain, installed proseries, tested it and everything is ready. I also moved the data to the server for quick books and I installed the network version of it and everything seems to be OK. It is nice to work with new equipment and the investment is worth it.

I talked to the computer guy and I said "did you know that the four hard drives could be replaced one at a time while the server was up and running?" He said no. I said I bought hot swappable bays and hard drives and if you wanted to change hard drives all you had to do was to install one a time during tax season if you wanted, then let the stripe recreate the missing hard drive and then move to the next. He said I didn't know that. When you make the type of changes you made, you first have to know what kind of server you have.

Now, if this were a "structural issue" with the ATX program, ATX 2014 would give you issues on the other computers.

Jack,

A lot, LOTS of programs are 32bit based and they work properly. Why in other posts you said that the 32 bit programs such as ATX 2002 or prior don't work on Windows 7?

When you have two identical computers, just reimaged with the same image and on one you have the "server error" issue and another doesn't show the error, then I will believe it is ATX. You can have to poweful computers but unless they are not freshly imaged with the same image and they have the same hardware, you are comparing pears to guavas or cherries to tihuilotes.

Please don't try to "teach" me about computers.  That is all.

Not my intention but maybe I could.

I have a bachelor's degree in Computer Information System and another one in Accounting. I stopped half way on my master in computer information but...

How about these certfications under my belt (without mentioning what I do for a living).

A+

N+

MCP

MCP + I

MSCE

and Enrolled Agent.