ATX Community

Printer/Printing

Dave T

I've used Brother printers for several years now and have very pleased with them.

Last evening I was in Office Max purchasing toner and was looking at one of the new Brother printers and noticed that it said it can print two sided. 

It got me wondering if ATX accomodates two sided prinitng.  Does anyone know?

The printer was quite reasonable and the thought of being able to print retruns on both sides seemed appealing.

Thanks

Dave T

Two sided printing is controlled by the printer, not ATX (or any other program). Your current printers most likely will print two sided. Look under printer properties.

Edit: I take that back. ATX has a Duplex button when you print directly to a printer. I only print to my PDF printer so I've never seen it. Not sure how/if ATX controls the printer.

Edited by jmdaviscpa

When you print a return, on all but the filing version, there is a duplex choice box.  I have been printing duplex with ATX for 6 years.

In addition, you can have a duplex printer with the preferences set to duplex, and the program can send print commands that override it.  This was the case in 2012.

Edited by Jack from Ohio

If using the Windows methods to print (and few programs do not), programs can only make requests.  Printer software and hardware may or may not offer the requested item, and in some cases, especially with a new model printer requiring new printer software, may not be coded correctly and fail.  (The most common issue with printer software is handling the copy count correctly.)

Personally, duplex is fine for file copies, but I do not use them for submitted items.  The IRS is getting a bt testy if a form fails scanning.  A badly printed/folded/smudged duplex is more likely to fail over a badly printed/folded/smudged single side printed.

The cost of postage and paper is nil compared to a delay waiting for manual processing, or even a penalty for a non-scanable form.

• Like 1

Duplex printing is annoying....

Page 1 of a form ends up on the back of page before, and cover letter ends up with page one of the 1040 on the back....

I guess there is a way to send the Cover letter to the printer, then the comparision worksheet, then the 1040, then the ....  But if you have to do that many print commands, you are wasting more time than paper...

Just my thought.  I only print a client copy anyway.  So it fills up their file cabinet. 

Rich

• Like 2

We always print one-sided. We're also stuck on the tail end of some fairly unscrupulous and stupid lease and maintenance contracts for a few photocopier/printer/scanner units. I'll be fixing that crap this year, and it's looking rather probable that we'll ditch the standup units in favor of some desktop printers, like the Brother HL-5450DN ($160, with a per-page cost of about 0.4 cents over the life of the printer).

• Like 1

This is how I print most of my returns. It's probably more steps than some would want, but it works for me so that I don't have letters with forms on the back. In the filing column, I print any signature forms, vouchers, the cover sheets, the client letter and anything else that I want on one page. I duplex the client copy without the letters, etc. and PDF my copy. 

I just had a banker and client call me last week, swearing that I didn't give him page 2 of the return. They claimed that they looked all over. It was all there, they just didn't look at the back side.

I just had a banker and client call me last week, swearing that I didn't give him page 2 of the return. They claimed that they looked all over. It was all there, they just didn't look at the back side.

Which is exactly why I never print tax forms as duplex.  Too easy to overlook a page.  

• Like 1