ATX Community

Railroad Retirement seems incorrect or I am not understanding

Denne

I am working on a return with Railroad retirement for both the taxpayer and spouse.  She is telling me she is not receiving SS or the RR equiv.  Her RRB-1099 says in box 3 and 5 that she has benefits of $29,327.00 for the year....box 8 on the RRB-1099 also says she has 2012 Tier 1 paid.  She has only received checks for $1285.33 per month total.  She did elect to have withholding of $3523.00 withheld during the year.   No way could she have received the $29,327 that the form says she did.   Her RRB-1099-R says in box 4 and 7 that she received $12,758.22.   That is much closer to what her annual income was.   Her husband received $2948.45 per month.  I think his forms look pretty close to just what he is telling me he received if we use box 5 on the RRB-1099 and Box 7 on the RRB-1099-R.    Is box 6 on the 1099R for Supplemental Annuity included in his box 7?  Nothing seems to calculate backward on these forms....  Not my favorite tax return this year! 

Please help me understand this if you can???  She obviously did not receive the $42,085.22 that the form indicates....or I think indicates!!  The more I write the more confused I am getting ;~/

Thanks for any help you can offer!