ATX Community

Some info about Drake's CWU for payroll and 1099 filings

jklcpa

Randall asked a question about Medlin payroll and mentioned Drake also that was in a topic about ATX pricing.  Rather than hijack that thread, I've started this topic and moved my response here with some information.

Randall, on 25 Apr 2015 - 2:07 PM, said:snapback.png

Drake's CWU program will allow you to prep 941s, 940s, W-3s, W-2s, and the 1099s "on the fly" meaning that you don't have to use the write-up function but may enter information directly on the forms.  The software does not e-file for you, but it does create the file to transmit to SSA and directly to the IRS for the 1099s using the IRS FIRE system.  That does require you to apply and receive a TCC number and set up a user name on the FIRE site.  It's very easy.

Do be aware though that if you purchase Drake to use next year, it will include their CWU program, but what you will be getting will be the 2015 tax software and the 2016 CWU program. That won't allow you to prep the 2015 forms. You would need the 2015 CWU program for that.  That is what happened to me the year that I switched to them away from ATX.  I called the sales office and explained my confusion in thinking I'd have everything I needed, and explained that the ATX program allowed preparing those returns, and the Drake team gave me the install codes for that prior year CWU so that I could activate the prior year's program.  They are really a wonderful company when it comes to customer service.

Also, I have to file the state copy of the W-2s on paper because DE doesn't accept Drake's format, so that is something for you to look into as well.  Maybe your state will accept it, but mine doesn't.

Lastly, Drake negotiates great rates on research products. Last year the choice was between The Tax Book or RIA Checkpoint.  I can't remember the exact price of TTB for last year but it was somewhere slightly over $100. I upgraded the service and also bought a hard copy desk reference from them too and spent about $250. In 2013 I spent $89 for the RIA product.

• Like 2

Yes, it is the same program as before. Drake has been working on a new accounting program for about a year now I think. I haven't seen anything recently about it except that they won't put out a product that the testers aren't happy with and have it be DOA when it"s rolled out.

As I said, I don't use it for my write-up work, so I can't talk about its limitations, but it seems to me that there is no ability to have comparative statements created since each year is in a separate program. That would stop me from using it right there.

• Like 1

One shortcoming of the Drake 1099 and W-2 prep is that it will NOT create "corrected" files -- at least for 1099's; don't recall about W-2C's off-hand.  So I have one set of 1099's that need a correction and while we've sent out the paper copies to recipients I have to find the right paper file forms.  Drake's paper print-out has "Client Copy" as a watermark....

One shortcoming of the Drake 1099 and W-2 prep is that it will NOT create "corrected" files -- at least for 1099's; don't recall about W-2C's off-hand.  So I have one set of 1099's that need a correction and while we've sent out the paper copies to recipients I have to find the right paper file forms.  Drake's paper print-out has "Client Copy" as a watermark....

You can request the "red" machine-readable forms directly from IRS for free. Online ordering from this page.

The on-the-fly page allows you to mark it corrected, process and reprint any of the copies. It also allows adjustment of the page for printing.

I haven't had to do this with Drake, but with ATX when I had to do this, I'd print the data-only version and play with the margins until it lined up with the IRS form. It only took a try or two to get it aligned.  Order some extra forms to play with and to have on hand of you need some in future.

I didn't order any 2014 forms or I'd send you some, but I just checked Drake's alignment with a 2013 red form I got from the IRS and it was within 1/8" for adjustment purposes when I printed a "data only" form on plain paper and held it up to the light. 

• Like 1