ATX Community

Sage / Peachtree Screen Appearance

RitaB

I don't remember how long this has been going on, but it drives me nuts.  When I open Sage (Peachtree, why change the name? Peachtree was so lovely), everything on the screen appears fine.  But, always, always, EVERY DAY, something happens and the screen appearance gets all screwy.  Like the font size changed and the area holding the word did not.  It's hard to explain, I'm attaching a screen shot.  Top picture shows the screwy version.  Bottom is normal.  (That's my daughter posing during volleyball practice, never miss an opportunity to pose.)  Anybody know what I can do about it?

Peachtree2.jpg

Peachtree1.jpg

Edited by RitaB

Just as a raw guess (NOT being the computer expert some here are), I'd check the display settings on your machine *and* in Peachtree to see if there is some offset that takes a hissy fit after a while. 

Does it go away if you close the program and re-open?  Or do you have to reboot the machine (with or without your special pointy kicking boots).

Just as a raw guess (NOT being the computer expert some here are), I'd check the display settings on your machine *and* in Peachtree to see if there is some offset that takes a hissy fit after a while. 

Does it go away if you close the program and re-open?  Or do you have to reboot the machine (with or without your special pointy kicking boots).

​Yes, it goes away when I close and re-open.  Don't have to kick it.

If the problem is specific to Peachtree, you don't notice wonky fonts anywhere else, and it returns to normal after a restart of the application, there are a couple possibilities I can think of.

1. You've angered Peachtree and/or the Computer Gods.  There is no fix.
  2. There could be a zoom/font size adjustment feature that's getting triggered by a key combination/stuck keyboard key.

EDIT: After a second look, I'm leaning more toward toward the first possibility.  The menu bar across the top is especially broken looking, and not what you would expect to happen when using an application's built-in font size adjustment.

Edited by Eric
  • Like 3

Ok.  So, it's one of those things I just live with.  Check.

Here's another one:  Sometimes I'm just minding my own business and everything just freezes up and there is a crash dump.  What's that about?  Don't ask me for specifics, I can't talk about it intelligently,  I usually just cuss and hit "enter" when the option comes up to start Windows normally.  It's disconcerting.

Computer Gods.  What have you done?  The only solution requires travel to a volcano.

Honestly, it could be a million different things.  There's a very slight possibility that the two problems are related, a screwy video card/video drivers maybe.  Windows is a complicated thing, and once in a while things get... I'll just say I have a word for it.  Identifying issues causing random reboots isn't an easy thing to troubleshoot, but if it's a blue screen you're seeing (pretty rare these days) make sure to write down the details, usually under the heading "Technical Details"

Edited by Eric
  • Like 3

If it is only happening in Sage, then it is a program problem with Sage.  Check for program updates, call tech support and ask what the fix is.  There has to be others that have experienced the same thing.

​Yes, it has to have happened to someone.  I was hoping someone here in order to avoid calling tech support.  That's always a long process and  the last thing I want to do.  Always.  The first thing I do is update.  The middle thing I do is ask you guys.

• Like 2

​Yes, it has to have happened to someone.  I was hoping someone here in order to avoid calling tech support.  That's always a long process and  the last thing I want to do.  Always.  The first thing I do is update.  The middle thing I do is ask you guys.

​I am hurt.  Oh well. I am a middle child - I guess I have to accept that I will be middle of everything else in life too.

• Like 2

So Rita -- and anyone else with Peachtree/Sage50 experience:  

I have some clients who were having all kinds of trouble with Peachtree/Sage50.  I got it all squared away.  

However, one thing that Sage50 does is it closes net income to retained earnings only annually, at the year end close.  For balance sheet reports during the year, you get the prior year retained earnings line plus the year to date net income on the next line down.  Together they net to current retained earnings.

The client wants reports that are GAAP compliant and apparently these are not.  (I don't know; I'm an EA not a CPA and am interested in bookkeeping and accounting that present an accurate picture, whether or not GAAP compliant.)

Does anyone have a work-around for this?  

However, one thing that Sage50 does is it closes net income to retained earnings only annually, at the year end close.  For balance sheet reports during the year, you get the prior year retained earnings line plus the year to date net income on the next line down.  Together they net to current retained earnings.

The client wants reports that are GAAP compliant and apparently these are not.  (I don't know; I'm an EA not a CPA and am interested in bookkeeping and accounting that present an accurate picture, whether or not GAAP compliant.)

I always thought that was the proper way to report - wait till the end of the year and close net income to retained earnings. I like looking at the net income on the May 2015 income statement and being able to point to that figure on the May 2015 balance sheet.  And then saying, "And then at the end of the year, the net earnings for 2015 get sent to retained earnings.   Where the cumulative net incomes for eternity get stored forever and ever.  Amen."  Sounds like QuickBooks and Peachtree do it the same way.  As much as we pay for these, I'd hope they've got that right.​

Edited by RitaB

So, Catherine, your clients are wanting RE to update with each Journal Entry, is that right?  I think the reason the software doesn't do that is because dividends frequently get paid out at year end, and RE is a picture of how the company is managing profits.  They don't really know till the end.  You could tell them that, and if they believe you, they might let it  go.  But, you asked for a work around - I've had to make Excel reports when people didn't like the accounting software presentation.  PapeJoe's suggestion also sounds good, but I gotta admit, I don't mess with the reports too much. 

Edited by RitaB
  • Like 1

Thank you all!  I have sent the info to the client and we'll see how much they grumble.  I can't change a fundamental feature of the program for them so maybe they will just need to put on their big girl panties and deal.

​Sounds like a good way to handle it. 

Don't hold your breath, but I may have poked around and fixed the screen appearance problem.  Was searching the Sage Knowledgebase, and yep, others have had the problem.  One suggestion was make sure DPI is set to "smaller or 100%."  Mine was on 125%.  I changed it and have not had the wonky appearance issue.  Yet.  Now we wait... And hope every other program doesn't look screwy now.

• Like 2

​Sounds like a good way to handle it. 

Don't hold your breath, but I may have poked around and fixed the screen appearance problem.  Was searching the Sage Knowledgebase, and yep, others have had the problem.  One suggestion was make sure DPI is set to "smaller or 100%."  Mine was on 125%.  I changed it and have not had the wonky appearance issue.  Yet.  Now we wait... And hope every other program doesn't look screwy now.

​You can always change it back and forth when working on Sage50.  Possibly less of a pain in the patootie than the wonky screen of illegibility showing up randomly.  

• Like 2