ATX Community

Happy independence Day!!.....

Elrod

t9303.gif   t9301.gif   t9302.gif   t9304.gif   t9305.gif   t9306.gif.......................................t9307.gif

...........................................................................................................................Y'all have fun...............................................................................................................................................

Ya'll have fun.............Independence-Day-united-states-of-americ

• Like 6

We'll be making homes warmer, safer, and drier.  My co-leader is a Purdue student just returning from a semester in Australia, so haven't met him yet !!  We have five great teens in our crew.  Did an enormous amount of packing tonight, as well as working with hubby to pack since it's his first ASP trip.  Friday we pick up rental vans and load them, kids bringing their tools, etc. by the church at 6:30 p.m.  Then it's 7 a.m. Saturday for a convocation and departure.  We'll eat our brown bag lunches at an I-95 rest stop; dinner will be KFC in a state park in VA followed by our final orientation, work crew meetings, and sleeping on the floor of three churches to fit all 185 of us.  Sunday is devotions in the parking lot, a stop at Food Lion to buy breakfast foods, and complete our drive to TN.  Next week we'll work on a family's home.  This is my fourth trip.  My stepdaughter did it for a decade and invited me.

http://www.jesseleeasp.org/

• Like 1

Didn't even notice!  Although, I'm "Rita" to that group.  First names for all, because we're all in it together, teens and adults.  Cafeteria ladies will make (we serve and clean up, dishes, etc.) breakfasts and dinner beginning Sunday night.  We make PB&J sandwiches for our crew and our family (the home we'll work on all week) for lunch.  It's great getting the kids out of pricey Fairfield County, CT; they come back year after year and even return as college students and into adulthood.  Our future is just fine in the hands of these ASP teens!

I will accept all warm thoughts and prayers for our safe travel, for our work, and for the families we help.  Thank you, Elrod and all.

• Like 1

I just looked at the website for your church's ASP volunteers.  Wow.   You guys sound so organized and I love all of the training before you go in using tools, and actually having a practice work day where you build wheelchair ramps.  I don't know if this is ASP required, or something that your church does, but I think it is a great idea.  Our church just usually sends a list of what to bring with you and goes, with no training for anyone until they are on site.  I hope that you won't mind if I share that web page with some of our leaders - I think it is a great practice to follow!

• Like 1

Feel free.  A few of us from my small church in my small town go with a large church in a large town that's been doing this for 30+ years.  The national organization is 40+ years old.  So, they do have it down pat.  I'm told that the centers love to have a Jesse Lee group because we are well trained.  Safety, Stewardship, and Sensitivity.  Lots of training.  The wheelchair ramp modules are free to handicapped people and nonprofits in our area, so we help before we even leave home.  The organizers are both adults and teens.  Amazing program.  Here's the national site:

http://www.asphome.org/

• Like 1