ATX Community

Previous years Acks

taxit

Thank you Jack especially for the young part. 2012 is the last year I used ATX so I wasn't sure how long an ACK takes. I did a 2013 return for the same client through my present software and had my ACK by the end of the same day.

Once you are no longer considered a current customer of ATX, you can't connect to the ATX server for efiling or for updating of the program and forms.  I really doubt it was received by the ATX server or was ever transmitted to IRS.  Didn't the software give some warning that it couldn't connect to ATX?

Former customers are still able to use the prior year programs that are on their computers to prepare prior year returns that can be paper filed and for paper filed amendments.

I still use ATX Payroll Compliance and have a client ID. My office efiled several 2012 tax returns through ATX in 2014 without any problems. The ATX returnquery report shows the federal and Pa returns as awaiting Ack. I don't know how often ATX checks and hangs Acks for previous years. Now 31 hours seems like a long time for the off season. Thank you Judy for your response.

• Like 1

I was under the impression that the E-File cutoff date was October 15 each year.  Is this information not accurate?

http://www.irs.gov/Tax-Professionals/e-File-Providers-&-Partners/Benefits-of-1040-Modernized-e-File

Some benefits of filing through MeF are:

• Year Round Filing – Returns filed through MeF can be submitted year round.
  • Prior Year Returns – MeF allows filing of prior year 1040 returns. As a new tax form type is added to the MeF platform, tax returns will be accepted for the current tax year only. As subsequent tax years are added to the system, MeF will accept the current tax year and two prior tax years.

For example:

• In January 2014, 1040 MeF accepted Tax Years 2013, 2012, and 2011.
  • In January 2015, 1040 MeF accepted Tax Years 2014, 2013, and 2012.

Note: MeF does not accept prior year extensions (Forms 2350 and 4868)

• Binary Attachments – The MeF program allows forms not already developed in XML to be attached to the electronic submission to accommodate late legislation and other unscheduled form changes.
    Note: MeF currently only supports PDF format.
  • More Explicit Error Conditions - Error explanations (Business Rules) pinpoint the location of the error in the return and provide complete information in the acknowledgement file that is passed back to the transmitter. Under the previous 1040 e-file program, one error code may have applied to multiple types of e-file error conditions. MeF error codes use simple wording to clarify each error that triggers a rejection.

You can find additional information on Modernized e-File on the MeF Overview Page, which includes information and links on:

• design history
  • processing of returns
  • communication between IRS and transmitters during the e-file process
  • approval of tax preparation software
  • security during transmission

Just an update. I called ATX last Thursday , they were closed for the 4th. I called yesterday and was told they would look into it. I received the Federal and PA Acks about an hour after the phone call. The Federal Ack shows an Ack date of June 29th , the same day I efiled it. For some reason ATX did not post the Ack.

• Like 2