ATX Community

signing form 8879 remotely

Matt

Please help me, I'm confused as how to remotely prepare returns for customers that are out my state, specifically as how to have them sign form 8879, would it be acceptable to send it by e-mail and have them sign it and return it by e-mail as well or even by fax? what about paper returns, can I have customers sign it and the scan it or fax it back to me, so I can send it to IRS? Do Do I need to encript the tax return? Which software is appropiate to sign form 8879 remotely?
Any insigns will be appreciated!

Thank you

Email is allowed --- BUT --- make sure you encrypt.   (pfill.com is a good encryption program - my opinion).

Snail mail is OK but as the name says ---- slow.

Just do not fall into the "I sent it, please file, etc." -- make sure you have the signed copy before filing.   Chance of being checked on this is slim --- unless you have my luck -- then it WILL happen.

Fax is OK too, you just have to worry that you received it and it was not sent somewhere else.

Also, you can use programs such as "dropbox" or if you want, try cubby.com .

Good season

• Like 2

cPaperless's "Signature Flow" is excellent.  Encrypts, confirms identity, e-signatures, then automatically returns to you all validated.  Fee is only per-signature so it's worth signing up for even for 2-3 clients (unlike some services that charge a hefty monthly fee plus a per-signature fee).  I have out-of-state clients, travelling clients, or folks who don't have convenient access to scanners or faxes so while they can *get* a file share document with no trouble, they can't send it back to me easily.  I'd rather pay to have their sign's than have them go to a self-service fax place where the chip SAVES their confidential information (name & ssn) for heaven only knows how long and with heaven only knows who gets access.

• Like 3

Yeah, that's what I like about CCH's eSign:  free license, pay a small fee per signature, pay a not as small fee per verified signature (8879s), no minimums.  I think it all happens automatically if I choose to check a box when I complete the return, return for review and signature pages to client.  Figured if I need it a couple of times, it's worth the few dollars/signature.

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 9:53 PM, Matt said:

what about paper returns, can I have customers sign it and the scan it or fax it back to me, so I can send it to IRS?

I don't EVER volunteer to send the paper returns to the IRS. I give them the envelope with the returns and ask them to take it to the postal office. If the postal office or the IRS looses that return, the client would not claim that I never sent it.

I don't recommend drop box for our type of business.

• Like 2

I don't mail returns; that's the client's job if they choose not to e-file.

I have dropbox for an volunteer organization that was sharing pictures from an event for a slide show (Appalachia Service Project where one of the college students was organizing the slide show and chose to use Dropbox).  Never use it for business purposes.  Yesterday a pop-up showed up saying I had a new file in Dropbox!  Obviously wanting me to open a link.  I haven't touched DropBox since last July when the slide show was being put together.and won't.  I was going to remove it, but my church does send out the Sunday bulletins to participants, and I'm a lay reader this Sunday, and it's snowing so I don't want to drive to church today to get a bulletin to prepare my readings, etc.  I still might remove Dropbox today -- either with or without downloading the bulletin.  My husband, the church organist, uses Dropbox to proofread the bulletins from home.  He recently received a similar pop-up on his personal computer.

Get Dropbox off your business computers!

• Like 2

Normally, I send the documents via pdf (encrypted).  I direct the clients to print, sign and mail the form(s) 8879 back to me along with a check for payment.  Once I receive that, I transmit the returns.  I do think I will sign up for and download the cPaperless Signatureflow so that I have that option when I want to get the signed 8879 faster.  

1 hour ago, Lion EA said:

NY is one!

We are number one!  We are number one!  We are number one!  We are number one!  We are number one!  We are number one!  We are number one!  We are number one!  We are number one!  We are number one!  We are number one!  We are number one!  We are number one!  We are number one!