ATX Community

Does anyone use an alternative location for data and/or backup?

Abby Normal

1 hour ago, Medlin Software said:

What Jack said.

Again, Carbonite and others DEFAULT to only backup certain common folders.  You CAN add additional files and folders to what Carbonite backs up.  If the folder's permissions, or your user permissions do not allow the file to be backed up, you have bigger issues with using that folder.

I used Carbonite for over 10 years. I know how it works. Yes, you can add some folders but you cannot add all. And, unfortunately for ATX users, you cannot add the Program Data folder. I called them two years ago and that sealed my decision to find a new backup company.

The other main reason I left them is that frequently changed files, like ATX data files, only get backed up once a day. So you start on a return and the first time you save it, Carbonite backs it up. The second time you save it, Carbonite says, whoa this is a frequently changed file, and it marks it to be backed up next 24 hours after your first save. That's not good enough of  for me. I don't like to go home at night until I'm sure all my work has been or will be backed up shortly. That never happened with Carbonite.

CrashPlan defaults to backing up every 15 minutes, but I found that to be too much, so I set it to 1 hour. We're basically always backed up. I haven't felt the need to back up internally to a network drive, but I haven't ruled it out. You can't have too many or too frequent backups.

In ATX, I like to backup a return I'm working on every 30 minutes at the most.

• Like 2

I use iDrive, you can select any folders for backup.  My entire program data file backs up since I'm not sure which folders are the returns and which are other stuff. 

When I had a crash last spring, I was able to easily restore all my ATX files except for one year. The damn file was so big, it wouldn't restore. Luckily I did have it ghosted onto another drive and tech support was able to get the data back where it was supposed to be. I think the weird year was 2013. 

3 hours ago, joanmcq said:

I use iDrive, you can select any folders for backup.  My entire program data file backs up since I'm not sure which folders are the returns and which are other stuff. 

When I had a crash last spring, I was able to easily restore all my ATX files except for one year. The damn file was so big, it wouldn't restore. Luckily I did have it ghosted onto another drive and tech support was able to get the data back where it was supposed to be. I think the weird year was 2013. 

iDrive is a blast from the past. Didn't realize it had become an encrypted backup system. Nice!

15 hours ago, B. Jani said:

I also use IDrive and it does have option for additional folder to include for back up.

They all let you add folders and file types, but some block you from adding specific folders like c:\Windows or C:\Program Data because the designers deem these to be system folders that are unnecessary to backup.

I prefer a backup solution that doesn't put such restrictions on me.

• Like 1

Abby, 

I set up the 2014 program to backup on a separate drive on the computer so that it would bypass the problems of Carbonite (which I don't use) and Backblaze (which I do use) being hard-coded to not back up anything inside Program Data. I also added CrashPlan to back up routines which does back up the Program Data folder. 

Wasn't too hard to set up and restores have worked without any glitches.

However, I'm a single computer user and can only speak to my single user installation. I have no idea what happens in network environment.

This year I migrated all my programs to VMware on my new Lenovo W540 with dual SSD installs. ATX has zero support for VMware installations, however, I've got all the way back to 2002 installed and so far no problems or crashes, including the infamous 2012 practice killer.

2015 program is backing up currently to default location. When I've completed my 1120-H returns I plan on switching the back-up location to the other drive for the remainder of the season.

Be sure to test wherever you're backing up to with some trial restores. 

And, while exports may not have all the information of a full back-up, consider having folders of exported return client data as insurance on the back-up routine. SOme information to start with is IMO a lot better than rebuilding the entrie return from scratch.

Good Luck!

• Like 1