ATX Community

MFJ vs MFS

Terry D EA

I had an earlier post commenting on the MFJ vs MFS comparison feature for 2015. I originally stated it appeared to be working correctly. Now, I want to retract that statement. I did one this evening that the program did not calculate the SS benefits correctly. It calculated the SS benefits as "0" amount taxable. When I did the worksheet manually, the taxable portion was 10,200.00. Kinda made me look real bad in front of a client. Once I re-entered the information for the MFJ return, the program did calculate it correctly the second time. Watch this thing!!!!! Not happy about this and will let Dan know if he bothers answering the phone or returning a phone call.

42 minutes ago, Randall said:

I've always reviewed this carefully, making some changes between spouses.  I use it as a quick look.  If I think filing separately may be warranted, I duplicate the joint return twice and complete it for each spouse to get a more actual look.

Yes, I agree.  I use ATX, and I also duplicate the MFJ twice and delete information to produce the MFS returns

I also do this for the inevitable two or three couples a year who ask, "Would we be better off to file separately?" even when I know filing separately won't help.  I give them a copy.  I don't charge the first time they ask about it.. It generally only happens one time, and they understand and appreciate it.  They do not understand or trust the worksheet comparison.  Sometimes I don't either.

• Like 2