ATX Community

Double Check Calculations

Terry D EA

Came really close to getting burned on a NC return. The program picked up an address from a 1099 issued from another State and automatically opened that State return and calculated it along with the NC. The program did give credit to NC for the tax paid to another State. However, no tax was due the other State. When I deleted the other State it took four times to delete that State return. The program kept the credit for taxes paid to the other State. This client did not return until today to finalize the return. The incorrect figures stayed in the tax return even upon completing the return. Today when I opened the return the tax refund for NC was still way overstated and then finally the program caught on and calculated the correct amounts. CAN"T AFFORD this kind of stuff with any program. I am now calculating every return for NC manually. NC is easy due to a flat .0575 tax for everyone. Had I not calculated this manually and transmitted the return it would have been wrong. The client would have loved me until they had to pay it back. I have the printed copy to fax to Dan to see if they will do anything about this. OneDesk does have a calculation guarantee. I almost lost a client and still may have and I guarantee OneDesk and OLT have lost me for good.

• Like 1

Just had a Ky personal return with S Corp K1.  Ky Sch M was picking up Fed 179 to add back and subtracting Ky 179 max 25k.  Yes, that is correct but the Ky S Corp K-1 already includes that and gives a net number to add or subtract on the Ky Sch M personal return.  The Ky personal return was auto entering the numbers from the personal 4562 (pass thru).  The more I looked at it, the more it didn't seem right.  The amounts on the Ky Sch M auto-filled were actually blue highlighted boxes so I just deleted them and entered my net change from the Ky K-1.  I know I'm correct because I do the S Corp.  I'm just wondering if Ky will generate a letter.