ATX Community

Qualified moving expense?

Hahn1040

T/P works for State Dept

was moving back from post in Brussels, wife didn't want to fly coach, so paid $4,000 for first class ticket to DC.  Government did not reimburse any of it,  

I feel it was not a necessary expense, Govt would have bought her ticket,  It was T/P choice to pay out of pocket

Thoughts???  thanks

If the government wasn't reimbursing it, and they were moving on their own, you'd take it, right? Just thinking out loud. There isn't a "cap" on what your flight status is, and if I was on that long flight and could bump it up, I would. So, I'd take the expense.

• Like 3

On 4/26/2016 at 9:03 AM, DANRVAN said:

There are restrictions.  See Reg 1.217-2 for reference to: "reasonable"; "shortest and most direct route"; and "lavish or extravagant".

Interesting. This reg says you CAN deduct meals . Was this reg amended to not include meals?

As for the airfare, there may be a court ruling, or something else that says if you are offered reimbursed expenses and don't take that you lose out on anything over the reimbursed amount.  Just sayin'.