ATX Community

HOW DO I RECONCILE 1095-A AND 1095-C

DEO

TP age 25, had health care coverage and received 1095-C from employer for plan starting in July. IRS held up her refund, requesting her to file form 8962 to reconcile the advance payment of premium tax credit.

On further discussion, parents who are on extension, had obtain health care coverage from the market place, not only for themselves but for their daughter.  They never rectify the health care coverage when daughter began working in February. They received form 1095-A showing themselves along with daughter(TP) as covered individuals.

IRS has indicated that to the TP that they will either increase the tax owe or reduce the refund.

How do I correct the above.

Thanks for any assistance.

Deo

Your taxpayer will need to go to the Marketplace online, or call them to get the 1095-A that is in her name and SS#.  She or someone else established an account and purchased insurance through the marketplace.  Despite what the parents did or say, there is an account in the daughter's name and SS#.  I have had 3-4 like this this season.  In each case, there was an account and a 1095-A to use on the return.

• 6 months later...
On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 10:07 PM, grmy2h said:

If the daughter is not claimed on her parents return, you will need to list the parents 1095-A on her return and allocate the agreed upon amount to her.

I have this same situation.  The child is not claimed on parent's return, she is claiming herself.  HOWEVER, we want to allocate 100% to parent.  Other than indicating this in Part IV, is there anything to fill out in Part II?  If lines 24 & 25 are left blank, I get an error saying Form 8962 not required!