ATX Community

Tax Court: Cost Of Ralph Lauren Salesman's Polo Wardrobe

grmy2h

Years ago I owned a small service station.  I had just bought a miniature sand blaster to clean spark plugs.  A high school kid that I had hired wanted to try it out and put his finger over the hole where the spark plug goes and turned it on.  It really messed his finger up.  That "dumb kid" is now a successful lawyer.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, GeneInAlabama said:

Years ago I owned a small service station.  I had just bought a miniature sand blaster to clean spark plugs.  A high school kid that I had hired wanted to try it out and put his finger over the hole where the spark plug goes and turned it on.  It really messed his finger up.  That "dumb kid" is now a successful lawyer.

Whoa there, Gene.  Are you certain the statute of limitations has expired on Workers Compensation claims?  :)

• Like 1

I cant tell you how many T/P want to deduct cloths, sales people especially want to deduct their suits, I keep a copy of the requirements handy to show them.  I love when they say I would only wear a suit to a wedding it wouldn't replace my regular cloths. lol

I highlight this from pub.529

"  However, work clothing consisting of white cap, white shirt or white jacket, white bib overalls, and standard work shoes, which a painter is required by his union to wear on the job, isn't distinctive in character or in the nature of a uniform. Similarly, the costs of buying and maintaining blue work clothes worn by a welder at the request of a foreman aren't deductible."

• Like 1

I still remember a young TV reporter years ago who pestered me relentlessly about deducting her clothing (especially her shoes) because she had to look sharp for the cameras on assignment.   She insisted that shoes were regularly damaged by walking in muddy or unsanitary areas.  I finally suggested that she buy some combat boots, since I'd never seen a TV reporter's feet in any remote segment I ever watched.  That didn't go over well.  

Fortunately she moved to Arizona and is probably haranguing some other poor tax preparer.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, JohnH said:

I still remember a young TV reporter years ago who pestered me relentlessly about deducting her clothing (especially her shoes) because she had to look sharp for the cameras on assignment. 

I broke it to a new realtor client two weeks ago that she could not write off her wardrobe or lunch or commuting miles.  Not heard a peep from her in two weeks.  She dropped off April 7 and was wondering, "Where are we on our return?" on April 14.  Do you know how much I want to now ask her:  "Where are we on your return?"   I guess the actual rules are game changers.  I also guess I will not see her next season.  I'm ok with that.

Had a preacher one time (he's found a better preparer, too) that told me, "It's not like I wear these suits to Wal-Mart or anything."   Ran into him at Wal-Mart in one of his suits after church the very next Sunday.  Gave a him a big grin, and he knew exactly why, too. 

• Like 3

I have a new client who is a fashion blogger.

she tells me it is to further her primary occupation as an architect.  (huh!)

She asked about deducing for her "uniform".  She has to buy clothes for her blog.... has to look the part... etc etc...

I told her, in no uncertain terms,  that clothes are not deductible.... everyone has to wear clothes to work...

I'm sure that many would agree that the twenty somethings indeed wear a "uniform" but it is in no way deductible....:)

thought, don't you think that those of us who work from home should be able to deduct our fuzzy slippers?   we have to keep our feet warm!

I am confident about how to handle the uniform, but not so sure about the $2,500 expense for the web site development..

she does have about $1,000 income from the blog.  

Does anyone have a resource for info on such things?   I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

11 hours ago, Hahn1040 said:

I have a new client who is a fashion blogger.

I am confident about how to handle the uniform, but not so sure about the $2,500 expense for the web site development..

she does have about $1,000 income from the blog.  

Does anyone have a resource for info on such things?   I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Mod Note:  I started a new topic for a discussion of website development costs so that the question and its answers don't derail this topic.  Thanks.