ATX Community

Microsoft Edge and my Windows 10 O. S.

Lucho

I think that Microsoft edge is giving me a hart time with windows 10. How can I go back to just the plain IE 11 or the newest version? or are we all hooked up with the "Edge"?

I was out of the country for six months without any problem, but as soon as I landed back in the US my computer acts very slow or freezes. Firefox is also slow. I downloaded Google Chrome and it made things even worse. I going back to where I was but I prefer to fix it before I leave again the US.

Thank you for any idea I can get to fix my problem.

Lucho

Internet Explorer 11 is there, but they don't make it easy to find.  Hit the Start Button (or wherever the search box is now), and in the search box, type "Internet Explorer"

When you see the familiar blue 'e' icon in the results, right click it, and pin it to your Task Bar and/or Start Menu

• Like 3

As Eric said, IE 11 and Chrome both work perfectly in Win 10.  Edge has some nice features with being able to set up reading panes for unruly websites and being able to "mark up" internet pages with virtual markers to underline important parts and save them.  Edge has some problems with loading some extensions, however, so I do not use it yet but rather defer to IE 11.  All of my programs,including ProSeries from 1998 through 2015 and ATX from 1997 through 2012 (my last year with them) all function as perfectly under Win 10 as they did under Win 7 and Win XPS.  I run two high-end stand-alone computers in my business as the only employee preparing approximately 400 tax returns and handling the books, payroll filings, and financials for 35 small companies.

• Like 5

On 7/6/2016 at 4:04 PM, Eric said:

Internet Explorer 11 is there, but they don't make it easy to find.  Hit the Start Button (or wherever the search box is now), and in the search box, type "Internet Explorer"

When you see the familiar blue 'e' icon in the results, right click it, and pin it to your Task Bar and/or Start Menu

Well I did it. and let see what happens.

Thank Eric.

Lucho

Yeah, we have 10 on our home computer and I was able to get IE on my bar at the bottom and essentially eliminate Edge - didn't like it. For work, the wife is required to use IE to log into her office from home and she's never had a problem with it.

Windows 10 isn't the death that people act like it is. My older printer / scanner doesn't have a driver that works for 10 but otherwise, no problems.

1 hour ago, Roberts said:

Windows 10 isn't the death that people act like it is. My older printer / scanner doesn't have a driver that works for 10 but otherwise, no problems.

I tend to agree but I wouldn't update an existing system to W10.  When I buy new, I'll go with W10.

• Like 3

I bought a new computer with Win 10, and it's a pretty steep learning curve for me.  I have used Cox for my email address and Windows Mail forever.  Had to buy MS Office Home and Business with Outlook to get that to work.  Had to enter my contacts in one at a time.  Couldn't transfer my emails over to the new computer.  

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Roberts said:

Oh I agree. I haven't updated my computer but I don't think it would destroy it if I did.

I now have three computers on Win 10.  One was originally on Win 7 pro, one on Win 7 home, and one from the Win 2000 days. I also have a "netbook" on Win XP home that I don't know what to do with.  Cute little thing, nice keyboard, but it's gutless.

10 hours ago, BHoffman said:

I bought a new computer with Win 10, and it's a pretty steep learning curve for me.  I have used Cox for my email address and Windows Mail forever.  Had to buy MS Office Home and Business with Outlook to get that to work.  Had to enter my contacts in one at a time.  Couldn't transfer my emails over to the new computer.  

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?

Did you come from W7 or earlier?  I currently have W8.1 so I'm thinking the learning curve won't be as steep.

• Like 1

Just now, Randall said:

Did you come from W7 or earlier?  I currently have W8.1 so I'm thinking the learning curve won't be as steep.

The learning curve from 8.1 to 10 is a lot less steep. BHoffman's issue was MS killed Windows Mail so she had to switch to Outlook.

I've been using Thunderbird for a very long time because I hate most Microsoft software and you never know when they're going to kill off their software.

23 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

I've been using Thunderbird for a very long time because I hate most Microsoft software and you never know when they're going to kill off their software.

ditto. Thunderbird and their calendar work well for me and have for 10+ years.

About 17-18? years ago I had this really old, weak computer and I wanted every software program to be as small as possible to keep it as fast as possible. Dumped everything I could from running in the background and Outlook (or whatever it was called) was massive. I went with The Bat email for a long time because it was the smallest I could find. Same reason I used Opera and Netscape and then Firefox. I still uses FF for some things and Opera for others. Can't remember why I stopped using The Bat, still get a fuzzy feeling about how awesome it was. (seems they charge now - maybe that's why I changed)

I dumped MS Office for Open Office about 6 years ago. Love it.

12 hours ago, BHoffman said:

I was working with Vista, so this is a whole new experience.  Frustration level only reached 10/10 a few times today.

If it's finding things - Classic Shell is a free program that will make win10 look and feel like older versions of Windows. Puts the Start button on your screen! If I recall, Windows now comes with something to makes Classic Shell not required but I'm not 100% sure of that.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Roberts said:

If it's finding things - Classic Shell is a free program that will make win10 look and feel like older versions of Windows. Puts the Start button on your screen! If I recall, Windows now comes with something to makes Classic Shell not required but I'm not 100% sure of that.

All versions of windows have a start button and a menu. And they work better than the old menus, anyway. Change is hard but inevitable. And in this case it's for the better.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Abby Normal said:

It was hidden until you pointed to the upper right corner... or you could just press the start button (WinKey) on your keyboard.

That start button did something very different in 8.0 than the traditional start button. It took you back to the start screen - not the traditional start menu.

13 minutes ago, Roberts said:

That start button did something very different in 8.0 than the traditional start button. It took you back to the start screen - not the traditional start menu.

The start "screen" was just a full screen menu. Win 10 has the same concept they just made it not full screen.