ATX Community

The Week After Oct 15th Ain't That Great Either

RitaB

22 minutes ago, JohnH said:

Ever think of telling him to get his ship out of your office ?

Yeah, but then I think about my daughter's tuition for grad school, and I decide to wait till I'm rich as ship to do that.  Plus, he is a real help in spreading the ship throughout the year.  Expanding they tax year even.  Good ship.

• Like 5

I had one leave her info in the mailbox this morning.  I really don't mind. Better now than when I'm covered up.  I'm here at the office four days a week with year round folks.  Might as well not be bored.  It does amaze me that they don't seem concerned about deadlines at all.

• Like 7

Got an email from client who barely made the extended deadline with return and payment to CA.   The email says "can you explain what these letters are and why I have to pay a penalty"?

No, I think I can't explain that to you, because I tried to explain that when you blew me off at April 15th.

Tom
Newark, CA

• Like 7

But do bill for calculating and filing the extension.  I went through my file last week and decided to submit bills to clients who have unfinished returns sitting here that I have a lot of hours into.  They can't seem to find the time to deliver what I need to complete them.  A couple of them I've waited over a year for the missing info.  I decided that doesn't mean I should wait to get paid for the work I've done.  The boss agreed and sent bills totaling over $6k.  I haven't decided if I'll add some if they ever do show up.  I just think I might.

• Like 8

"Progress Billing" - I like it.  There's a cost associated with the time involved each and every time a file is pulled for review, updating, and sending another inquiry to the client.  Your time is your inventory, and they are consuming your inventory, well in advance of the time the project is completed.  

• Like 10

I did write a letter to a late filer in April.  It took about two weeks to get a response, but the wife finally showed up with cash.  Not only did they owe the IRS, but now had late filing penalties plus interest.  In the letter I explained this all to them and also told them that they were being removed from my client list.  When the wife did appear, she asked to please be allowed to come back for 2016.  Of course, Dummy said "yes" but it is a simple return and someone has to reap the harvest.  She DID add ten dollars to the fee.:huh:

• Like 5

I just got internet at the new house to post this: new for this year client sent me 3 emails regarding the bill she just got from the FTB for 2014.  The second email was the remaining stuff I needed to file 2014.  They got a demand letter back in June, so the bill for the SFR includes the failure to file after demand letter penalty. I've been trying to explain (by text no less) why, even if they are getting refunds they owe this particular penalty. Have not iterated how their EMERGENCY is not my emergency. 

• Like 5

On 10/23/2016 at 11:38 PM, JohnH said:

"Progress Billing" - I like it.  There's a cost associated with the time involved each and every time a file is pulled for review, updating, and sending another inquiry to the client.  Your time is your inventory, and they are consuming your inventory, well in advance of the time the project is completed.  

JohnH, this makes me think of the "I'm Billing Time" song!  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, joanmcq said:

I just got internet at the new house to post this: new for this year client sent me 3 emails regarding the bill she just got from the FTB for 2014.  The second email was the remaining stuff I needed to file 2014.  They got a demand letter back in June, so the bill for the SFR includes the failure to file after demand letter penalty. I've been trying to explain (by text no less) why, even if they are getting refunds they owe this particular penalty. Have not iterated how their EMERGENCY is not my emergency. 

Here is a picture you can print and hang in your office, include with your texts or e-mails...

lack.jpg

• Like 5