ATX Community

Have you not done your CE?

Roberts

Where I live and play, I am required to have 80 hours every two years with no less than 20 hours in any one year.  I am in the first of the two years and am 5 hours lacking the 20 for this year.  I guess I am always getting some done close to the deadline.  Comes with the territory.

I always put off my webinars until November and December when I finally slow down a little. I need 80 hours in two years, also. I have signed up for everything but 3.5 hours. I only physically attend a two day seminar, because I really like the speakers and it's more reasonably priced than most of our state society offerings.

Weird - so if something serious comes up - you are behind the 8 ball in getting it done on time? Sort of like our tax clients?

I always get mine done in the summer months and set the timeline so that it's done before I go on vacation. Over Xmas I'll watch a few free videos to get caught up on new issues.

I'm no more busy in June or July than I am now.

Different practices, different cultures.  There is no slow time in my practice. And what the heck is a "vacation"?

I do try to get mine finished up early in December to avoid that "if something serious come up".  And no - it is not at all like our derelict clients.  I am not asking anybody to go out of there way or to work overtime nor do I cause undo stress on anyone (other than myself) by letting my CPE compliance drag on into December.  Fact of the matter, some of the best CPE is available in December.

• Like 3

My CE is spread throughout the year, and begins with the IRS Tax Talk Today webinars which are offered on an almost monthly basis.  My state society offers CE in late May/early June.  I always attend a 16-hour year-end tax update in early December.  Most years I get about double (or more) the requirements per IRS/NAEA.

• Like 4

The NY/CT-ATP offers dinner meetings with 2 hours of CE in January, May, June, July, September, and November, and an eight-hour seminar including Ethics in November and 14 hours over two days in December (16 for CPAs).  I also attend the CCH User Conference, but don't get any CEs as an EA.  I usually take an NATP webinar or two, maybe a Tax Talk Today or two or more, maybe CtSEA &/or CT chapter of NATP live classes.  I need 72 every three years with no less than 16 each year and Ethics each year.  NAEA requires 30 per year, I think.  I'm usually in the 30s for qualified CEs plus nearly 30 more that don't qualify (NY and CT and multi-state courses and other courses offered to CPAs).  When I worked for Block, I took everything I could as it was almost free and usually (back then) live and fairly local so had twice as much each year then as now.  I still have tax returns to prepare that were dropped off recently, but I don't rush to a deadline during November and December so take more courses now.  If you're in a time crunch, you can get CEs from your NAEA Journal by taking an online (?) test on the material in one or more issues of the Journal.  Check with your professional groups.

• Like 2

I take a few courses in spring and summer, but I agree that Nov/Dec is a better time because the courses are more up-to-date.  We've all noticed that in recent years congress has waited until the last minute to pass tax law changes, sometimes as late as after Christmas.  This leaves the IRS scrambling to get forms and pubs updated and efile ready on time and us tax pros little time to digest the changes and be ready to roll with them. (Remember the repair/capitalization rules that weren't finalized until they were in our face, and the regs didn't come out until March of filing season?)  The Taxpayer Advocate has chastised congress for this, but you know where that went.

I used to attend NATP's 1040 workshop.  I stopped going for several reasons, but one was that they were too early to capture any legislative changes.  Around here the workshop will be held next week.  The only thing new they'll be able to teach are the amounts for exemptions, tax brackets, etc.--nothing I can't read in Pub 17.  They can't fill us in on the expired extenders (and they are a few important ones for both 2016 and 2017), postponement of controversial mandates, whatever changes are made to make the temporary budget permanent.  Congress is on recess and won't act until the lame duck session, if then.

See, not everyone who waits until late in the year for CPEs is a procrastinator.  Some of us have a method to our madness.

• Like 3

The last live one that I go to every year is an update around the second week of December. They also have a client letter that you can buy and I use parts of in my annual letter. I also take Vern Hoven's 16 hour tax update webinars. He comes here for two days, but I can attend them in 4 hour chunks online and be more flexible. It's also cheaper than the live one and I can wear my jammies if I want.

• Like 2

I've got the 80 hours every 2 years, at least 20 each year and my certification period ends Aug. 31.  I attend the CSTC summer symposium so that's about 24 right there, plus dinner meetings for 2 hours. This year my last minute was the CA regulatory review course.  It's only required every 6 years, but a webinar is pretty easy to do. 

The pisser is that Nevada is the same requirement but on a calendar year. So I'll have to keep 2 sets of records, at least until I decide wheat her to keep active status on the CA license.  And I've got to do a graded ethics course for the NV reciprocity license.  After the move.... I'm packing up my files now. Or actually taking a break from packing up the files. 

• Like 3

My 14-16 hour December live seminar is huge on updates and advertises that topics can change due to new federal tax law changes, and the NY and CT hours are called Updates/Changes.  The 2 hours in January is advertised as a Last Chance Update.  Even if I have 100 CEs and no matter when my reporting year ends, I take those two courses.  Getting the new stuff or newly reinterpreted stuff from live instructors with opportunities to ask questions and to interact with other preparers facing the same things is important to me as I go into a new tax season.  I don't consider this fall as procrastinating at all.

• Like 4

The MaSEA has dinner meetings most months except high summer; 2 hours for the most part.  Land Grant University offers a great 16-hour course every year but I haven't made it the last couple for various reasons.  There is a law group that runs an excellent representation conference (8hrs) every November in CT (Lion, this might be interesting to you).  I have been trying to pick live courses that actually add something to my knowledgebase rather than just fill the hours.  I've done online classes to fill specific gaps.  I've found some where the downloadable pdf instructions are great and I can save those for reference.  It's a rare year that I don't go well beyond the NAEA-required 30 hours.  Think for 2015 I skated by with 34 or something.

• Like 1

Yes, the representation conference at Foxwoods.  I know the lawyers.  We have them on rotation for NY/CT-ATP also.  And, I always keep their emails until I see if I can fit in a full day away.  Almost registered this year, but think I'll see if there's still space in the Lisa Ihm courses in CT (she doesn't get out here every year).  But my days are filling up with doctors' appointments.  For instance, my teeth cleaning/check-up showed a cracked tooth so go back again Monday for them to start on a crown.  Maintenance, maintenance, maintenance.  Brain and body.

• Like 2

I used Checkpoint Learning for several years and subscribed to their unlimited CPE that offers online classes as well as webinars. Most of the webinar presenters were great and you could type in a question and they would respond to you on a first name basis.

Last year I switched to CPE Solutions which also offer online courses and webinars.  Some of their webinar presenters are also outstanding.  Another feature I like is they record the webinars and they are available on demand at a later date.  That is great if you miss one you are really interested in.

My state also has the 80 / 20 requirement and I'll confess I am usually catching up as the June 30 reporting date comes around. Trying to keep more current this year.

I subscribe to Checkpoint Research for daily updates and research of tax issues but no CPE for that.

• Like 2

I chip away at this all year when not in the heat of the season.  I need 34 CPEs/year.  Not that I'm disciplined but one year I got caught doing it all in December and missed the Nutcracker, A Christmas Carol, Shopping, a Christmas party, and Santa Claus.  I vowed never to do that again.  I just finished everything with my last ethics course yesterday.   Now all I can think about is turkey and the parade.  Never want to miss that, I catch up on all the Broadway show tunes, that's a lot better than choosing a, b, c, or d.

• Like 1