ATX Community

New printer recommendations

Tax Prep by Deb

I am in need of replacing my printer.  I need one that will copy as well as print.  I use it for ATX but also to address envelopes, print checks ect...

I've been using Canon for that 15 years and have been happy until the one I just got.  It has a touch screen menu pad which is fine, but it doesn't always display which leaves me guessing were to touch.  So it's going back.  Any suggestions?

I like my Canon D1350.  Fast, holds a full ream of paper, has a document feeder for the scanner and copier, and faxes if you set it up to do so.  I have had it for about 5 years and I forget what I paid for it.  Black and white only, no color.  I did not want color printing so that is a big reason why I chose this.  It is a little big, so I have the D550 in my satellite office.

Tom
Newark, CA

Tom,

I have the exact same printer and loved it.  It is starting to show signs of age (mine is 7 years old) so thought I would replace it, but the newer ones do not compare.  I actually bought one (had everything except the fax) but it is touch screen now and unfortunately my touch screen died.  So it's going back.  I'm just trying to determine if I want to spend the 400.00 and get the one that actually replaces the 1350, which I believe is now the D1550.

My tech guy is recommending a Brother which is very inexpensive, but it does not have the multipurpose tray that I really use alot for printing checks, and it doesn't sound like printing envelopes is very easy.  So I really just don't know what to do.  Everything I have done tech wise so far as turned into epic failure so I'm looking to you guys for help!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lion EA said:

My HP Officejet Pro L7780 All-in-One color has been happily chugging away for several years.  But, I have a newer HP LaserJet P2055dn just black print that's faster and smaller for printing tax returns now.

We have had an HP LaserJet P2015n for over 10 years, and it has been great.  It is starting to show its age, but it has been the main printer for 3 people in our office, so I am not surprised.  The 2055 Lion refers to is very similar.  The front opens to provide a tray for miscellaneous items like checks or envelopes, and I never have a problem printing either through that bypass tray. 

Envelope handling is always the biggest bugaboo with the lower end printers. With my $99 brother printer I have to open the front and the back, flip two levers down and still half the time the envelope doesn't feed. No idea why it's intermittent.

Envelope printing is very important in my office, as it likely is in many of your offices, too.

I use a cheap (around $50) Epson XP-420 inkjet printer almost exclusively for printing envelopes. It has a straight paper path and will take up to a 9X12 envelope. My main printer is a Brother all-in-one which prints, scans, and faxes. Having a dedicated envelope printer makes it easy - no doors to open, levers to flip - just adjust the paper guide to the envelope size and go.

I'm also looking for a decent printer/scanner/copier to replace the piece of crap HP M225dw.  The copy quality is awful if I use the top feeder no matter what setting, and the scans are ridiculously enormous, like 5megs for 10 pages of text only PDF.  I hate this thing almost as much as I despise having to shop around for new office equipment.  Santa, I've been good.  Bring me a great new printer/scanner/copier!! :) 

19 hours ago, Tax Prep by Deb said:

Tom,

I have the exact same printer and loved it.  It is starting to show signs of age (mine is 7 years old) so thought I would replace it, but the newer ones do not compare.  I actually bought one (had everything except the fax) but it is touch screen now and unfortunately my touch screen died.  So it's going back.  I'm just trying to determine if I want to spend the 400.00 and get the one that actually replaces the 1350, which I believe is now the D1550.

My tech guy is recommending a Brother which is very inexpensive, but it does not have the multipurpose tray that I really use alot for printing checks, and it doesn't sound like printing envelopes is very easy.  So I really just don't know what to do.  Everything I have done tech wise so far as turned into epic failure so I'm looking to you guys for help!

Have you looked at Amazon for a new 1350?   You might get lucky. 

Tom
Newark, CA

I have Brother Laser for tax return copy print duplex HL5370DW for 4 years now. Other Brother all in one is MFC J6720DW for printing color.

But I use Dymo label printer for printing labels and stick to any size of envelope. It is very easy that way rather then passing different size of envelopes thru any printer.

I have three HPs in my office now:  black and fast for returns, color and slow and old for most everything else, and the all-in-one for stand-alone fax (also use eFax via my computer) and scan (also use Fujitsu for heavy duty scanning) and print.  All are great for envelopes.  My oldest HP (maybe before 1994) is still in use by hubby.  I've had Brothers and Canons and maybe another brand, but they died long ago.  The HPs are workhorses.  I never went cheap but did wait for sales.  Every HP I've ever owned is still working in this house/home office someplace or at one of my grown kids' homes &/or offices.