ATX Community

CA Preparers - My FTB filing POA online

BulldogTom

I have never filed a POA online with CA.  Do they require individual POA's for each taxpayer when married?  I don't see a place on the form to add the spouse.

Anyone out there who can give me a quick tutorial on how to file the POA since the FTB says if you don't do it online they will wait 90 business days before they (don't) get to entering your POA if you fax it in.

Thanks

Tom

Just a thought but do you have the email field on the preparer Tab in the program filled in?  I used it last year without any problem, but I will tell you the uploading thru FTB is hit and miss.  I've submitted 2 but only 1 shows up and it took forever.  It's been almost three months since the last one and it still isn't showing.

Thanks for the hint Deb.  I don't have that field filled in, but I will do so and see what happens.

I have heard the same about the upload, but now the FTB is requiring all POA's to go that way.  I was holding out until I absolutely had to go there, but now I absolutely have to go there.

Tom
Newark, CA

It is ridiculous that we are entering all of the information into their system for them, and they still take 30 business days to approve and 10 days after approval to activate.  The state of CA has no interest in working with the tax professional community to service their clients. 

I would really like to leave this state.  There is just nothing good about this government.

Tom
Newark, CA 

• Like 1

On 1/16/2017 at 5:33 PM, BulldogTom said:

I have never filed a POA online with CA.  Do they require individual POA's for each taxpayer when married?  I don't see a place on the form to add the spouse.

Anyone out there who can give me a quick tutorial on how to file the POA since the FTB says if you don't do it online they will wait 90 business days before they (don't) get to entering your POA if you fax it in.

Thanks

Tom

If the returns are MFJ, or RDP, you have to file a POA for each person.

If there is any difference in what is entered on line and the uploaded copy, it will not get posted. 

Although, they say it takes 30 days on line, the few I filed actually took about 20 days. Not much of a consolation, though.

It was much better in the past when you could phone in and fax the poa's directly to the person on the other end.  If the client has any collection notices, garnishments, levies, etc., you can still get info on the phone without the poa on file.