ATX Community

Receipt of efiled 1099's

Margaret CPA in OH

I sent two 1099's on Jan. 18, one for MISC and one for INT.  They both still say Transmitted to EFC.  I really don't want to have to keep checking these, especially the MISC as they are required now by Jan. 31.  I thought only 1040 efiling began today but others would be accepted by now.  I saw where someone has even received an ack by now!

I have not e-filed any 1099's yet this year (just getting started on them now), but I remember last year, there was a different response time than for the returns. According to this, at least the availability to e-file 1099s is there:

Tax Year 2016 Federal and State E-File Availability
clear.gif
The data in this table represents ATX estimates of the dates on which we will receive approval to release forms for e-filing. Forms do not need to have paper-filing approval before they can be e-filed. A similar table exists for paper filing approval on the Download Center.
Jurisdiction Status Date Approved Estimated Release Date
Released
Features
W2 Federal & States Released 12/20/2016 12/27/2016 12/27/2016  
1040 Federal Released 11/28/2016 1/23/2017 1/19/2017  
1041 Federal Approved 11/16/2016 2/3/2017    
7004 Federal Released 1/4/2017 1/6/2017 1/6/2017  
NYC Uninc (NYC 202) Released 1/10/2017 1/23/2017 1/19/2017  
1065 Federal Released 12/19/2016 1/6/2017 1/6/2017  
1099 Federal & States Released 1/4/2017 1/17/2017 1/17/2017  

Historically I have seen LONG lag times for acks with e-filing W-2's and 1099's.  It would be really nice to get them earlier so you know they are either done *or* there is a problem (in time to fix it).  

Have you tried synching with the e-file center?  This early having to go back in and mark everything completed as complete should not be nearly as obnoxious a chore as it will be later.

• Like 1

SSA is processing faster this year. I filed my own W2 last week and it's already complete whereas in prior years it was into Feb before I saw approval. Now I'm off to check on others I've filed.  (ETA - W2s filed yesterday are already complete!)

I can't comment yet on the 1099s. I've been using the FIRE system to file those directly with the IRS but the one's so far completed this year, I've done those through an online service that included mailing recipient copies. I have received an email acknowledging completion and acceptance though, and that only took a few days from start to ack.

Edited by jklcpa
updated status of yesterday's W2 filings

Thanks for the replies.  I did have to wait a few days after preparing for the efile form to be approved and updated but am surprised that the ack is still in the transmitted stage.  I will look at synching or maybe wait a few more days.  I just don't want to be in the position of not having efiled by the deadline.  Jan. 18 should be in plenty of time.