ATX Community

Over an hour on hold for support

Chowdahead

Anybody who thinks Drake is "Mickey Mouse" obviously hasn't taken a serious look at it. But if bells and whistles are your thing, don't bother with Drake. It's a serious workhorse. Lightning fast, super efficient, and stingy with storage space. Customer service is incredible. Nothing in this price range touches Drake in any of those areas. Nothing. 

There is a learning curve with Drake, but for anyone willing to invest the effort, it will pay off multiple times over. (Unless of course you don't place much value on your time. I've come to realize that many tax preparers really don't). 

Mickey Mouse:

1. Drake finally added a federal withholding schedule in 2016. Something that should have been there for decades.
2. Drake just added a charitable contributions carryover schedule. Seriously?

If they are just getting around to adding such basic things as the above, I can't imagine they'll handle my complex K1s from trusts and other high end issues that my clients have.

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 1:07 PM, Abby Normal said:

I watched a Drake video on their 2016 enhancements and it was quite obvious that Drake is too 'Mickey Mouse' for my clients...

4 hours ago, JohnH said:

Anybody who thinks Drake is "Mickey Mouse" obviously hasn't taken a serious look at it...

24 minutes ago, Abby Normal said:

...And, if these are the highlights of the improvements, I'm sorry, but that's just pathetic.

Pistols at dawn, gentlemen?  John; since I've known you longer I herewith offer to be your second.

• Like 5

Dang!  Abby Normal, you beat me to claiming Rita, and for the exact same reason.  But, Bart I need to warn you about something.  I suspect Abby Normal is a pretty good shot, and I'm not going to be able to resist the urge to duck.  So under the rules, that means you're then obligated to shoot me.

• Like 2

Wow!  This is right up there with the Hamilton-Burr duel.   But what I don't understand, is that duel was over defamation of character, but over tax software, you must be using water pistols or paintball guns.  The loser buys at the bar, be sure to let us know what day at sunrise.   Rita, check you schedule, you're needed to count the paces.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JohnH said:

Dang!  Abby Normal, you beat me to claiming Rita, and for the exact same reason.  But, Bart I need to warn you about something.  I suspect Abby Normal is a pretty good shot, and I'm not going to be able to resist the urge to duck.  So under the rules, that means you're then obligated to shoot me.

These rules are complicated as the tax code!:lol:

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, FDNY said:

Wow!  This is right up there with the Hamilton-Burr duel.   But what I don't understand, is that duel was over defamation of character, but over tax software, you must be using water pistols or paintball guns.  The loser buys at the bar, be sure to let us know what day at sunrise.   Rita, check you schedule, you're needed to count the paces.

Great idea! Since I was challenged (I think), I choose squirt guns filled with Tequila. Someone bring limes, Triple Sec and ice!

• Like 4

A duel over tax software?

Cool.  Abby, I can be your second.  Although I think Rita and I will be drinking Margarita's.

One Question.  When was the last time anyone got a check from any software vendor for using their products? 

I would move to Drake if ATX pissed me off one more time like they did in 2013. 

But when I test drove it, I would call it Mickey Mouse.  Doesn't mean it doesn't do what it is supposed to do, just doesn't do it elegantly.

Rich 

On 2/25/2017 at 10:31 AM, Pacun said:

Too bad you left. Ever since that time, ATX has been an excellent program. I never had issue but I guess having these certifications helps:
A+
N+
MCP
MCP + I
MSCE
and EA.

I know what EA stands for but I don't believe I have ever seen the other designations.  Well, I have seen A+ a couple of times during my lifetime on test papers but I'm not sure if it means the same thing here.

• Like 2

A+ is a certification for computer technicians, N+ is for network certification, MCP is Microsoft Certified Professional, MCP+I is plus internet, and MSCE is either a Microsoft Certified Engineer or a Master of Science Civil Engineering.  MCSE is probably more common - a Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert.    Anyway that you look at it, that is an impressive list of credentials.  BUT if I had that many certifications in IT, I would probably work in that field instead of being an unpaid auditor and data entry clerk for the IRS. 

• Like 7

I prepare returns on weekends and at the end of the day. That's why it is easy for me to give their papers back even when I have finished the final return because this is a part time job. The job that pays my rent is my regular IT job.

I would like to retire early, very early and do taxes from Jan 31 to April 18 and then go to my country and then come back on Jan 28th to purchase the software and to get ready for my 2.7 month year and so and so. With technology, anything is possible. My clients barely get letters from the IRS or states.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

I love when a word (in this case invisible) is spelled the same in English, Spanish, French and Italian because of its Latin roots. But boy we sure don't pronounce it the same!

You're so right. 

And after posting it, I realized that the humor doesn't come through as effectively without hearing the pronunciation in Spanish.

It truly "loses something in the translation".

I completely agree that Drake doesn't do things elegantly.  Neither does Excel when it's used efficiently.  But Drake gets the job done lightning fast and doesn't unnecessarily hog resources on the computer.  We're preparing a tax return, not launching a space shuttle.

I'll demand "elegant" for media, not basic math.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Gail in Virginia said:

A+ is a certification for computer technicians, N+ is for network certification, MCP is Microsoft Certified Professional, MCP+I is plus internet, and MSCE is either a Microsoft Certified Engineer or a Master of Science Civil Engineering.  MCSE is probably more common - a Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert.    Anyway that you look at it, that is an impressive list of credentials.  BUT if I had that many certifications in IT, I would probably work in that field instead of being an unpaid auditor and data entry clerk for the IRS. 

My apologies to you (Pacun) for startin' all this mess.  Like Gene, I didn't know what all those things were (although I've got the EA and DID also ONCE get an A+ :)).  They certainly ARE much more impressive (and real, of course) than the Beasts & Fishies guy's and congratulations to you on having the brains and fortitude to slog through what I imagine would be a very long and tough road to get them.

Darn it, Gail; it certainly does smart when a body gets slapped with the truth ("...being an unpaid auditor and data entry clerk for the IRS.")  But you're right on the money and even though it's too late for me to start technifying, I may yet run for mayor of Dogpatch.   

• Like 5

JohnH.... either I am too old OR my computer is too new, but I never have an issue with ATX's speed or performance. Of course since computer support is my b&b, I have a lot of patience with computers and they tend to get along with me.

I agree that we are data entry clerk for the IRS but someone has to do the dirty work.

36 minutes ago, Pacun said:

I never have an issue with ATX's speed or performance.

Same here. ATX has been almost flawless for me. I read the issues some users have and imagine it must be a small percentage of users, and I wonder if they have less than ideal computers that are poorly maintained? I don't know. I'm just glad it isn't happening to me. <knock on wood>