ATX Community

Warning: Drivers License Number

neilbrink

There was some confusion at the beginning of last tax season as to whether PA was requiring it.  By the time the confusion was cleared up (PA is not yet requiring it), we were well in the habit of asking all of our clients for the info.  We continue to do that.  And now that Ohio is requiring it, we are ahead of the curve for a change. We have only had a couple of clients even question it.  When we mention it is another effort to cut back on fraud -they are all for it.

• Like 1

I tried scanning my own.  My 10yr old scanner wouldn't take it thru.  I'll have to use the copier.  Need to set on lightest exposure and expand size in order to read it.  Will probably get a new scanner this summer when I get a new computer.  Anyone else having trouble scanning drivers license?

3 hours ago, Randall said:

Anyone else having trouble scanning drivers license?

I use an HP 1050 I bought on Black Friday 2011.  Copy, scan, print all in color.  I paid $19.95.  I have no issues scanning or copying anything with it.  

However, it does not have a document feeder.  

Wal-Mart sells the latest version of this printer for about $40.  No reason to have scanning or color copying problems.  Less is more.

NYS Has made this Mandatory and it is a real pain! I was not even aware of it until Mid Janaury, nothing stated during the required 30 Hrs

education taken for NYS. Not only do you have to enter the Driver License Number. Issue Date and Expiration Date but also the

"Document Number" that can be either on the front or the back depending on when Issued.

Very Tiny Font that I have to use a Magnifying glass to read. I prepare very few new clients each year. Most if not all I have preparing

for 15+ years. Very Cumbersome indeed!~

15 hours ago, jklcpa said:

If you are scanning docs in, you may find that it's easier to enlarge on your screen.

This has been the biggest benefit of scanning records first and entering from the scan. Even W2s can have tiny bold-faced numbers that are hard to read. I'm always zoomed in.

I can also keep the lights in my office lower.

• Like 3

I'm in CT but have NY commuters, so I subscribe to NYS e-newsletters, check the NYS website, belong to the NY/CT-ATP which has state updates during our 2-day December seminar as well as lots of networking with NYS colleagues during each dinner meeting and seminar, subscribe to CCH's e-newsletters including their State Tax Review and Tracker News - State Tax News, and read everything I can, not to mention having NY colleagues that I can question when needed.

I already had copies of both DLs from my Singapore couple (US citizens) with a NYS rental two months ago.  This wasn't a big surprise.  For 2015 taxes, I had to get DLs from my VA (? one of those southern states) clients.  I started warning my northern clients last year that DL information might be a state or even federal requirement in the near future.  We knew this was coming.  NYS isn't the only state requiring DL information for 2016.  Expect even more next year.

As an EA, I do NOT receive CEs for state education toward my license renewal or even for NAEA membership, but I consider state education very important to my career so take courses re CT, NY, PA, MA, multi-state returns, etc. 

• Like 4

The other issue is that the "Document Number" could be on the front could be on the back. 

Depends on when the NYS license was issued.

I have been preparing taxes for many years (since 1985), also worked in a Large Corporate Tax

Department in house. I have about 125 clients that I do after hours from my day position

(that pays the bills & Health Insurance). I do these at night and weekends. I do not think my clients

would appreciate me calling them at 1:00 AM for this. Most mail me their tax documents as I have

been preparing their returns for so long. I send an Annual Letter of what a need etc and any updates.

I have a multipurpose Printer (Canon) that I use to copy/scan. However, the duplex scanning

is manual and difficult doing with the NYS License. Along with being slow, and in the heat of

coping everything, no always an option to remember both sides.

I am not trying to be Nancy Negative, I do appreciate all of your idea's - Thanks!

Sample_Photo_Documents.pdf

driver-license-requirements.pdf

Oregon requires a Driver's License or State I D Card. However you can still efile without either, in which case Oregon uses alternate verification.

I efiled a Federal and State Tax Return without any I D this morning, received acks this afternoon

Probably because my client has filed a tax return every year for the last 70 years.

• Like 1

Spend a few minutes sending an email BCCing every client asking for the DL info or copies of their DL front & back.  Phone those without email early evening or Saturday.  Or wait until you're getting signatures to have them return their DL copies along with their 8879s (you probably don't call them at 1 a.m. for signatures!).  I do a lot of 1 a.m. - 4 a.m. emailing questions and uploading signature forms; works great as I usually have their response by the time I get some sleep and return to my desk at daylight.