ATX Community

DO YOU USE ALL CAPS ON RETUNS?

Pacun

I use all caps on my returns. I like the feature that ATX locks after 30 minutes. That a big security feature that all of us should be proud of. My problem is that when I come back, my keyboard is all caps. Most of the time I enter the wrong password a couple of times. I hate to type McAllen or McDonalds and that's why I use MCALLEN and MCDONALDS on my tax returns. Do you use all caps?

• Like 1

I use all caps on tax returns.  It makes it easier for me to see entries.  I do set Caps Lock, but I also have a setting in ProSystem fx that puts my data entry into caps no matter how I enter it.  So, I could leave Caps Lock off if I choose.  (I don't use all Caps on client letters & instructions, though.)  So, if I've set Caps Lock and return, like you, I can mistype my password.  Luckily my sign-in box has a yellow warning triangle and states "Caps Lock is on" so I know what the problem is.  (I have other software that releases Caps Lock when I try to enter, which is really handy this time of year when I use Caps Lock most of each day.)

• Like 3

Not sure if you knew this or not but ATX has a preference to use ALL CAPS for data entry. I saw someone else mention it either here or on the other boards.

This way you don't have the CAPS lock on, you just type in ATX and you get uppercase and then you have normal typing everywhere else (so, you don't have the issues with passwords and caps lock)

In preferences, on the Open return button(tab) , it is the first checkbox there. "Use ALL CAPS for data entry"

• Like 3

The problem with the new ALL CAPS preference is that any edits to K1 letters and billing invoices are in caps (people have already complained about this). Also, Notes are not in caps so I have to turn caps on anyway, when I need to create or edit a note.

I submitted a suggestion to to give us 3 check boxes for caps for forms, K1 letters/billing invoices and notes.

• Like 4

Exactly.  I don't use all caps anyplace else, unless I mean to shout.  But, with mixed case on a tax return where the line descriptions are in mixed case, it's just too hard to see what I entered in a list or info or anything.  I need the contrast to find my place, proofread, etc.  It's worth the occasional mistype of a password when I forget I have caps lock on.

21 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

The problem with the new ALL CAPS preference is that any edits to K1 letters and billing invoices are in caps (people have already complained about this). Also, Notes are not in caps so I have to turn caps on anyway, when I need to create or edit a note.

I submitted a suggestion to to give us 3 check boxes for caps for forms, K1 letters/billing invoices and notes.

YES!  And I am one of those who complained.  I do use the K-1 letters, billing invoices and sometimes the client letters, and I never had this issue before this year, even though I have ALWAYS used all caps for returns.  So it is newly programmed into the software for 2016, and NEEDS TO BE CHANGED.   If you check it in Preferences, you cannot then change it on the keyboard for those letters.  

• Like 1