ATX Community

Amazon Spoofing Email

FDNY

Just received an email from Amazon saying my order has shipped, a fancy smancy Dell computer, $1600 worth.  I never ordered this so I called Amazon and they said it is a spoofing email that many people are getting.  Now I need to Google "spoofing email" as I never heard of these.  She said don't respond to it (I was born at night, not last night).   It's a mine field out there.

• Like 3

I received an email from Capital One two days after I logged in to my account to pay a couple of notes I have with them.  The email stated that I must update my account with them and provided a link, of course, that I didn't touch.  The sender was [email protected] letter wasn't very nice as it said if I didn't update my info, it was going to do something with both of my balances and make reference to the way my account is paid each month.  I said no, it can't be from Capital One, then the rest of me said, that sounds about right for Capital One....had horrible experience with them while refinancing....nobody wanted to do their job....anyway, I decided to call and let them have it if it was in fact, Capital One.....NOT!  Immediately the person told me that their address always has capitalone in it rather than just capital.  He asked me if I clicked on the link and was very happy I had not.  The email looked EXACTLY like their other emails look, so be careful out there.

Funny part about this is that the guy at Capital One told me I needed to run my virus scan, etc....and I told him the letter could very well have come from someone hacking Capital One.  And, I really feel that's what happened!

ANOTHER CAUTION:  I brought up the link to log in to my AOL email account and received an error that my password was incorrect.  As it's a long password, I figured I had entered it wrong, although I was extremely careful when I entered it as I just wanted to enter it once.  So, I did it again...this time error message again, with a note on top of where I enter my username that went something like this:  AOL HAS DETERMINED THAT YOUR COMPUTER HAS A SECURITY ISSUE. PLEASE CALL US AS SOON AS POSSIBLE AT 1-800............  Sure nuf, the AOL sign in screen was identical to the one I have seen over the years and I've been with AOL for at least 30 years without any problems.  And, yes, I called the number. And, hell no, I'm not going to tell you the rest of the story, just going to say if you use AOL, DON'T CALL THE NUMBER IF YOU GET THE SAME KIND OF MESSAGE I GOT.  I LIVED A NIGHTMARE FOR 2 DAYS UNTIL I WAS SURE MY COMPUTER WAS CLEAN.  The sophistication of these hackers increases as time goes on.  

• Like 7

Here's a new on me.  Lady in the office yesterday said someone from Publishers' Clearing House called a few days ago and told her she'd won a million bucks.  It was the same pitch the Nigerian guys used (I'm kinda missing the familiar crooks - they were so easy to spot): "Send us $200 for processing fees and we'll mail you $1M."  It's surprising they'd use PCH since it seems so obvious, but I guess that's why the con games never die - somebody occasionally falls for them. 

The lady was no dope though and actually had a little fun with them.  She told the guy she was thrilled but unfortunately didn't have $200. She asked if he'd be good enough to "bring the check by the house with balloons like they do on TV" and promised, cross-her-heart, to go right to the bank with him, cash it, and pay his $200 on the spot.

Click.

• Like 9