ATX Community

Vehicle Registration Deductibility by State

PaulH

The site below (National Conference of State Legislatures) has all 50 states that you can scroll through or use the search box to find the one state you are interested in. The fee must be based on value so that it would be classified as personal property tax. Basing the fee on anything else such as weight or a flat fee means it isn't deductible.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/transportation/registration-and-title-fees-by-state.aspx

• Like 5

Thanks.  That's a handy site to get me to the right page to research the answer.  I was hoping for a lazier alternative that doesn't require any reading.  Even a list of states where none of the registration fees are deductible would save time reading through those state web sites.  Some states make it difficult to tell if any of their fees is based on the value of the car.  But this is much better than what I have been using (a google search which sometimes takes several attempts to get me to the right state site).