ATX Community

College kids and free file - new source of revenue

BulldogTom

It happened again.  Tax return rejected for SS used on another return.  Turns out the kid who had $600 of income and $30 of withholding filed his own return to get his money back. 

Now he gets to pay me to amend the return, and I am going to charge him more than $30 to fix the problem he caused his parents.

College kids are so smart.  They get advice about taxes from Jerome the gardener at the college.  Jerome is real smart.

Tom
Newark, CA

• Like 6

Many of these problems are also caused by people not READING what's on the screen.  They just click away.  And then they never LOOK at the completed return to see if it makes sense.  I had one this season where the parents efiled the child's return and never realized they allowed her to claim herself. Couldn't even blame the kid in this case.  I told them there's a reason we only charge $50 for dependents' returns--so this kind of mess doesn't happen.  Now they can wait 3 months for their refund from their paper return, and they had to pay me to amend the child's and re-do their returns.  Bet they don't try that again.

• Like 4

We send our children to school to learn terrific geometry problems, and solve horrific stats problems.  We make sure they take sciences that they are not interested in, fill their calendar with Spanish classes they will never use, and make sure they have at least 2 "arts" to graduate, or something dumb like that.  But no one teaches a child about basic cooking skills, how to keep a checkbook, what interest on credit cards looks like, the implications of student loans, and especially income tax and how to fill out a W4.  It is a huge problem in  our schools, and we continue to ignore basic stuff in lieu of math - that personally I cannot figure out why they need it these days after they learn the basics!  We have computers! 

I've done a few amends myself.  

Grumble mumble...grumble mumble.....It's been a very long week. :pop::pop:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, schirallicpa said:

But no one teaches a child about basic cooking skills, how to keep a checkbook, what interest on credit cards looks like, the implications of student loans, and especially income tax and how to fill out a W4.

Guess I am 'old school' but it seems to me that the home is the place to learn basic cooking skills and the other things you list here.  Schools and teachers are charged with an overwhelming range of tasks to teach already.  I had Home Economics way back when for a few weeks but already knew much more than taught in that class.  Parents and other adults around maybe could assume 'Life Skills" teaching.  I could understand maybe an elective in high school but a short time but these things I learned at home.  Yes, back in the 50's and 60's with non-college educated parents who both worked full time.

• Like 5

• 10 months later...

I know that the schools here are remiss about common sense stuff that I learned. We had to fill out a short form by hand in personal finance many, many moons ago. We pretended to get married and set a budget, go to the store and price items. My  "hubbie" and I almost got divorced in class, because I wanted a piano since I was going to have to leave mine at my Mom's. We learned how to balance checkbooks. 

I have run across very few young adults that know how to do much in the way of life skills, but they can use charge cards very well. One of my son's friends moved to Europe to try to escape his student loans. He borrowed and went on vacations with them. I'm embarrassed to admit that my son can fly a jet with dozens of people, but had no idea how to figure out how much postage to put on an envelope. I showed him how to use a scale and look it up. We tried to teach him common sense, but only part of it stuck. He is an amazing cook, just like his dad. 

It amazes me how many parents are still bringing in their 30 something's tax returns with theirs.

• Like 1

I once had the heart-warming experience of listening to one side of a two-part phone conversation between a mom in my office and her no-account, unemployed, live-at-home slacker kid back at the house.  No problem about claiming himself  'cause Mom (who handled all obligations) hadn't filed it for him yet.  I figured his deduction was worth about $150 to him (mowed some yards) and $800 to Mom; she insisted she would "pay him back" the $150.

The back and forth went on for a bit until Mom suddenly stopped short and, overcome with frustration,  blurted out "Raymond; I am not ripping you off!" :spaz:

Surely there must be justice waiting somewhere, someday............

• Like 1
  • Haha 3