ATX Community

Marketplace

Lion EA

I have almost none of these with Medicaid, and it's always the freebies that get me.  My son has two Forms 1095-B for January, and then February-March.  Then he was on Medicaid for April through December.  His wife and daughter were on Medicaid all 2016.  How do I enter that on their MFJ return?  If I put in the 1095s, it looks like he didn't have insurance for nine months.  Do I check the box AND enter 1095s?  Daughter said Medicaid did not send 1095s.  True?  What do I need to know?

I will check the box.  After all, they are a freebie!  But, I think they received Forms 1095-A last year, about five forms altogether as she became pregnant and their family size changed and little Miss Avery was added resulting in changes in March for one and the second week in October for the other two.

And, I misspoke above, my son's forms are both 1095-A so I have three months of APTC.  Now do I have to enter them?  Still check the box?

28 minutes ago, Lion EA said:

I will check the box.  After all, they are a freebie!  But, I think they received Forms 1095-A last year, about five forms altogether as she became pregnant and their family size changed and little Miss Avery was added resulting in changes in March for one and the second week in October for the other two.

And, I misspoke above, my son's forms are both 1095-A so I have three months of APTC.  Now do I have to enter them?  Still check the box?

Now you changed the species of animal....

Yes, you must enter the 1095-A information on Form 8962.  No option.  Do NOT CHECK THE BOX!!!!!

• Like 3

But did everyone in the family have some sort of coverage, either through the Marketplace or covered by Medicaid?  Most Medicaid does qualify as MEC under the ACA, and if that is the case, why would you not check the box?   The 1095A is to reconcile the APTC received to the final amount that this family was eligible for.  A 1095B might be received showing the medicaid coverage, and I think the due date of these forms was March 2nd, so it is possible that they may still receive the form...I think.

Edited by jklcpa
added "most" to 2nd sentence
  • Like 5

Yes, several, due to change in family size, five in all if I remember correctly, from both the starting insurance company and then medicaid but two different starting dates in 2015 for three different family members due to different eligibility dates.  She's a pretty good researcher but says she's not receiving 1095s from Medicaid this year.  I just told her to check again.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Lion EA said:

This just keeps getting better.  Now DIL found her Form 1095-B online covering all three of them for all 12 months.  But, I still have the two Forms 1095-A for the husband covering him via the marketplace for three months with APTC.  Yuck!

Looks like they will be paying back any subsidy they received.  Now you can check the box AND fill in Form 8962.

• Like 1

I know!  They were told that only two of them qualified for Medicaid and for Rob to go to marketplace for a couple months until he qualified.  WTF?  And, then the marketplace accepted him for January.  But, Medicaid still said No, so marketplace accepted him for February and March.  Then Medicaid said they would start Rob before the end of April, to not worry as his gap would be less than three months, so he could drop the marketplace coverage during March, which he did.  Yeah, less than three months, retroactive back to 1 January!  That didn't show up in any of the rejection correspondence.  Oh well, it was not alot, and they get their tax prep free -- partnership and join returns, NY and PA.  Thankx, Jack and Ladies.

• Like 1