ATX Community

Form 8962

Christian

A married couple with a dependent daughter has come in today. He is covered 12 months through his job. His 
wife and daughter were not covered from January - September and were covered through the federal exchange from October - December. The exchange provided a separate 1095-A for the mother and one for the daughter. Do I merge these two on a single Form 8962 or complete one 8962 for each? I am assuming I can qualify them for an exemption for the earlier nine month period. Likely the one in which they qualified for exchange coverage. I do not have a lot of clients needing me to address issues involving the ACA so any input will be appreciated.

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 0:29 PM, Christian said:

I am assuming I can qualify them for an exemption for the earlier nine month period. Likely the one in which they qualified for exchange coverage.

I am not following you here.  There is no exemption for qualifying for exchange coverage and not buying it or signing up to have other taxpayers buy it for you. 

I will admit I am pretty worn out and I have called it Affordable Care Act hell more than once.

• Like 4

Rita on the ATX 8965 under exemptions there is G1 or G2 or G3 which list that one. I may have not clearly understood it but I used exemption A for their months of no coverage. On page 13 of the instructions for the form it stated how to deal with it. The wording is not crystal clear and I had to read it a number of times to get it correct. So what else is new in IRS instructions ? :wacko:

48 minutes ago, Christian said:

Like Rita it is LATE in the season and my tolerance for having to use time to sort this stuff grows more thin with each passing day. :(

I totally get that, and I have many clients whose returns are not just check that box on line 61.  It has been a royal pain.  There are worksheets that are used to determine if coverage is "unaffordable," which is Code A.  I'm sure you covered it if you read the directions. 

• Like 2