ATX Community

Not to often...

Richcpaman

Ok..

Long term client. I always dealt with the Wife. She was kinda loopy.. All sorts of health issues. I did the daughters returns earlier, but she is doing them now.  And only met the husband once in 12 years.

I heard thru the grapevine that she had passed away in October.  Sorry to hear of this, did not expect to see the husband.  But they called and set up the appointment for today.

Going thru the folder of information making small talk ,and saying I was sorry to hear about "wife's" passing, I pull out the death certificate that they were nice enough to bring along.  I was about to ask about medical expenses and other things surrounding her death.  Than I notice the cause of death.

Gunshot wound to chest.  Suicide.

Wow.

Not to many times you can stop me in a client interview.. cold.

• Like 7

I am with you on that - there are not many things that stop me either, but I HAVE been stopped speechless a couple of times.  Stick around this business long enough and it happens.  Glad you were able to recover well enough.  We had a young adult client do the suicide thing last year.  We do the whole family's returns and fortunately my first contact was with grandpa.  Grandpas usually are more forgiving when we put our foot in it.

• Like 5

Thankfully it's not often but eventually we all will hear something that is heartbreaking.   Last year I heard of the loss of a young mother who has had a three year battle with cancer.  The husband is a union official of an profession that mostly works at night and weekends (musicians), who was never home and when he was the wife was at work.  He cried to me on the phone that he wished he spent more time with her.  There's a lesson in there.

• Like 4

Yeah, well for me last year it was my nephew who killed himself.  I was there the day he was born (dad was away; Eric was a bit early).  I get to do his final returns this year, along with his parents' returns.  

(fyi, courtesy nephew; his mom & I have been friends since college.  No bloodline.)

17 hours ago, Richcpaman said:

Ok..

Long term client. I always dealt with the Wife. She was kinda loopy.. All sorts of health issues. I did the daughters returns earlier, but she is doing them now.  And only met the husband once in 12 years.

I heard thru the grapevine that she had passed away in October.  Sorry to hear of this, did not expect to see the husband.  But they called and set up the appointment for today.

Going thru the folder of information making small talk ,and saying I was sorry to hear about "wife's" passing, I pull out the death certificate that they were nice enough to bring along.  I was about to ask about medical expenses and other things surrounding her death.  Than I notice the cause of death.

Gunshot wound to chest.  Suicide.

Wow.

Not to many times you can stop me in a client interview.. cold.

Years ago when I was single, I dated a woman and she mentioned the death of her former husband and I asked her what he died from.  After a pause she said, "I shot him."  Turned out it was a very abusive situation and it was an act of self defense.

• Like 1