ATX Community

Drake/Secure File Pro

Terry D EA

First, I want to thank those that introduced me to Drake and gave it such good reviews. This is my first year using Drake, the learning curve for tax prep has been minimal it has taken a bit to understand all of the functionality and features. I discovered the document cab about a month or so ago. Also, discovered the signature pad feature and Secure File Pro. If you are a Drake user and you are not using these features, you should be. My clients are loving the document portal. Using two monitors in extended mode, one monitor has the documents from the doc cab open while I have the return open on the other. This is making input much easier. A client who provides his/her rental info on a spreadsheet is the easiest thing in the world to work with.

Best of all...... NO PAPER, other that the client printed return. Everything is at your fingertips.

I know I will be renewing this year without question. This program is well worth it's price. It has worked flawlessly for me. Support is very nice and they do live up to their 3 ring answer. Drake has made my tax season enjoyable.

• Like 5

@Terry D - very glad to hear that you are happy with Drake!  I don't use their Secure File Pro, simply because I have a secure file portal that came with my web site, pre-dated my switch to Drake, and already had all my clients' accounts.  But I do the same:  Gruntworx-indexed pdf on one screen, working return on the other... no papers (well, way fewer) on the desk.

• Like 3

Terry: Glad you are enjoying using the program. Makes you wonder why you waited so long, doesn't it?

if you haven't worked with Macros yet, it's worth giving them a try. Just write a very simple macro for a repetitive task. After you've done one or two, you'll begin to see endless possibilities. 

• Like 2

My handiest one right now is the extension macro I wrote.  Alt-F1 for Federal and Alt-F2 for state of NC.  It checks the boxes and waits for my entry for the tax liability.

I also set up Alt-W to go to the W-2 input screen & wait for entries, Alt-H to answer "Yes" to Healthcare coverage & then return to the input screen, and Alt-F for the default entry for foreign accounts & return to the input screen. . Another useful macro for me is one which populates local Goodwill address info on the 8283.  I have a few others as well. 

• Like 1

Having total control over what the macros do is a huge benefit. Drake is so flexible you can customize them to do whatever works best - either populate the form and return to the input screen or populate down to a certain point and then wait for input on the target screen.  It's almost like having customizable "bunny hops" on steroids. :)

• Like 2

I am going to learn the macros after season. Didn't and don't have time to learn them now. However, I do see how they would be a great help. One question, if you create the macros in 2016 will they roll forward to 2017 or do you have to recreate them each year? From my experience with Drake this year, I would think they should come forward.

19 hours ago, Terry D said:

I am going to learn the macros after season.

I watched the little video and made four macros to fill out extensions (fed/Mass), PIN screen, and EF screen.  Including watching the 2.5 minute video, it took me about 4 minutes total.  They are THAT simple.

*4868>X>>Y  is, (if I recall correctly) the macro for extensions.  Goes to screen for 4868, puts an "X" in the 4868 box, two tabs to the "Y/N" box to make it yes.  Boom, you're done.

• Like 4