ATX Community

Bad News

BLACK BART

In about six hours I have to tell a usually quite unpleasant and belligerent client who's paid close to nothing for years that he has to cough up $5K (unexpected windfall and, of course, never heard of estimated tax). In Roman times it was death to bring unwelcome news to the emperor -- it's shouldn't be quite that bad, but I may need to break out my lion-tamer's kit (a whip and a chair) to fend him off. 

• Like 7

Well, at least you will get paid BIG BUCKS for that return.... right??? I don't have any unpleasant clients anymore. Priced them right out of here. They paid me big and left.

Whoever said money can't buy love lied. One person here, I won't mention any names *coughrita* says money can even RENT love!

• Like 6

I've had some success with these types by pointing out that "the only way you owe a lot more tax is that you earned a lot more".  I also tell them I can't tell them the figures on their return are "right", but they are "correct".  (There's nothing right about the government seizing our hard-earned money, etc and then wasting it).  

Sometimes the inevitable rant about how the government wastes our money ensues, and my only response is that you and I totally agree on that. But we also have to agree that we can't do anything about it sitting here in my office - the only place to take action is at the ballot box.  

At the end of the day, some clients just insist on blaming us for their problems because they can't speak to a monolithic bureaucracy.  But I can assure them I have lots more complaints that they do, so there's no reason for them to go there. 

• Like 6

Yeah,  usually poor planning on their part doesn't constitute a lot of sympathy on my part. After I have told them to do the estimated taxes, call to make an appointment to do an estimate mind-year, contact me if you have a major change in your financial position; etc.....sorry no sympathy there and I hate to offer the words "told you so" but it is what it is.

• Like 7

The one thing you need to keep at the fore-front of your mind is that you have no ownership is this problem.  You neither created it nor own the rights to solve it.  If he insists on blaming you and ranting, tell him to give you whatever money is causing the issue and you will pay the tax yourself.  (Notice I did not say give you the tax money, but rather the money that is causing the tax).  I have done that when the need arises and it always has quieted the person.

The other thing that works well for us - we tell all of our clients the results on their tax returns via a telephone call.  That helps them maintain their dignity and the shock has worn off by the time they arrive at our office. 

• Like 8

I have a sale of a rental property that generated a $70k gain, and he is trying every way to Tuesday to reduce his tax liability. I told him that most of my clients call me when they sell a rental so we know what is coming. I'm not crying over it. But I am ready to give a hug...

• Like 6

I usually preface these situations by saying "this is the worst part of my job" and "please don't hate me, I'm just the messenger."  A quick explanation so they understand and you're done.  Showing compassion and understanding with their ranting and raving is good, as long as it is over quickly, you've got the next guy to listen to, unless it's wine per diem time, which you probably need.

• Like 3

As your client's "payment due" amount is because of an "unexpected windfall", he/she probably already knows (or thinks) he will owe this year.  The fact that he/she got a windfall and didn't contact you when it happened it NOT your fault!  Don't take the blame for one second.  Just tell him/her something to the effect "it's like I always tell my clients to call me during the year with any questions they may have or if they have unexpected income.....".  Continue YOUR rant that had he/she done that, not a penny would be due now!  Some people feel better if they can blame their problems on someone else.  This problem is his/hers solely.  You can also tell him/her that you dropped your crystal ball on the floor last year and it hasn't been working right ever since!

Take care,

Cathy

• Like 3

Didn't show up.  Called; he's coming tomorrow.  

13 hours ago, Possi said:

...I don't have any unpleasant clients anymore. Priced them right out of here...

That usually works for me, but not this case. I've been pricing him out - started 7 years ago at $125 and am now just south of $1K.  Curious myself as to what happens now.

9 hours ago, Catherine said:

Best phrase I ever heard for this was "ladies of negotiable affection" in one of the Diskworld books by the late (great) Sir Terry Pratchett.

I don't know how far we can go on this "family" board, but I heard one something like that recently re "ladies of....".  Guy asked if he could stay overnight for a million dollars; she said "Yes," and then he said "How about five bucks?" Highly indignant, she asked "What do you think I am - a prostitute?" He replied, "We've already established that; now we're negotiating the price."

• Like 6

The thing that bothers me is the big owers are usually the ones who put the dreaded tax appointment off until the last minute, and then the suspense starts to kill them, and then they lean all over us to find out the bad news, and then they cry.  I try to just do my job and not get wrapped up in their drama, while I fake sympathy for their terrible plight.

• Like 5

Ok, old friend contacts me to do her taxes, simple but she has 2 states this year and she forgot to change her withholding to the new state.  When I gave her the news that she owes 6k to D.C., but was getting 7k back from the IRS, and most of her withholding from RI, she was ecstatic! You mean I even out?!  THANK YOU!

that was a nice surprise.

• Like 5

I've noticed that the degree of shock and surprise at owing from my clients can oftentimes be predicted by the date of drop off.  Yeah, you had no idea you owed and that's why you're coming in here a month later than usual.  Yeah, gotcha.  And no, I'm not really sympathetic to your plight as you are emailing me while on your vacation in Honofreakinglulu. 

• Like 8