ATX Community

W-2 with only DD in box 12a can't be e-filed

David

I have two retirees who received a W-2 with an amount only in box 12a with code DD. No other boxes have amounts. Of course, this is for health insurance benefits they received.

I am getting an error message saying that the return can't be e-filed because there is no amount in box 1 or other W-2 information.

I am thinking that I don't really need to include the W-2 in the client's tax return and then I can e-file. Has anyone ran into this situation and do you see a problem if I leave out the W-2?

Thanks.

18 minutes ago, Roberts said:

I have a client who has the exact same thing except it's for D - retirement plan contribution.

I put $1 in box 1.

I wouldn't leave out the W2 only because it could generate a letter from the IRS and then I'd have to explain why I didn't include it.

Roberts:

How can they make a 401(k) contribution if they are not working and earning wages from the company?

• Like 1

That W-2 was issued for the convenience of the employer. (I like that term). The employer is the one deducting that amount, which is not taxable to the person receiving the DD. The only place you enter this information the TP's return is when you check the box "did you have health insurance". So, I would live that W-2 out.