ATX Community

So you're planning for 2017 are you?

RitaB

Really, people?  I don't know if these people haven't heard that we're busy right now, or if they just don't give a crap, but here are the burning questions today:

1)  Hey, Rita, we're selling our house (we hope!)  for $175,000 and there used to be a law where you didn't have to declare gains on that.   Is that still in effect? 

You mean your personal residence you bought six years ago for $200,000?  No, you don't have to declare the gains on that loss. 

(She didn't even know it was   /s  )

2)  Hey, Rita, can I deduct the cost of over-the-counter medicines?

It wouldn't matter what I said on that one - they can't itemize but she is on top of it for next year, lemme tell you.  Look out Johnson & Johnson and Bayer.

• Like 12

Hey Ron - here is a court order that says you have to provide my divorce attorney with unbridled access to my and my spouse's files that are in your office on or before April 15th.  I just received that today via email. 

How do you spell CONTEMPT OF COURT 

I could almost give a flip about that right now!

But just curious - is email an accepted form of delivery for legal directives?

This might be just the thing that drives me out of this business and into retirement!  But then again, I have never walked away from a good fight!

• Like 7

*This is not racist or political*, I'm just too freaking busy for this stuff. I got an email today from a client. She is helping some refugees and what do they need to do about filing income taxes? I just told her that I'm sorry, I don't know the answer off the top of my head, I would have a bunch of questions and no time to research. 

• Like 4

The old friends, dropping off, KILLED ME LAST WEEK.  I sit here nodding and sending subliminal messages:  Yes, I love you, yes I want to know every frikkin detail of your life.  Can you please tell me every frikkin detail of your life sometime May - December?  Monthly would be ok at this point, ISTG.  I have 12 weeks to make 75% of my living here.  Please stop talking.  Why is no one walking in?  Who can I text to call me?  Nobody, cause the one I would text is frikkin sitting here killing me.  KILLING ME.   I'm getting up now, walking you to the door, yes I love you.  Yes, get outta here for the love of God....

• Like 8

3 hours ago, RitaB said:

Really, people?  I don't know if these people haven't heard that we're busy right now, or if they just don't give a crap, but here are the burning questions today:

2)  Hey, Rita, can I deduct the cost of over-the-counter medicines?

It wouldn't matter what I said on that one - they can't itemize but she is on top of it for next year, lemme tell you.  Look out Johnson & Johnson and Bayer.

"Write out an itemized list of all the over the counter items you use.  Include it with your other information.  I will account for it properly on your tax return."

Put it on Schedule A.  Print and charge for it.  Income opportunity...

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, RitaB said:

The old friends, dropping off, KILLED ME LAST WEEK.  I sit here nodding and sending subliminal messages:  Yes, I love you, yes I want to know every frikkin detail of your life.  Can you please tell me every frikkin detail of your life sometime May - December?  Monthly would be ok at this point, ISTG.  I have 12 weeks to make 75% of my living here.  Please stop talking.  Why is no one walking in?  Who can I text to call me?  Nobody, cause the one I would text is frikkin sitting here killing me.  KILLING ME.   I'm getting up now, walking you to the door, yes I love you.  Yes, get outta here for the love of God....

If you weren't better looking than I am the above could be my mirror image -- went through the details of three funerals, one operation, and the extended prognosis for another.  One other windjammer NEVER has to file, but stops by every year "just to check" and ALWAYS asks "Will there be any charge on that?" (This time there IS.)

To top off the day a 30-year client ($250 fee) let me know her daughter (who gets in out of the rain and that's about it) will be doing her taxes this time.  Don't know if they'll be missed or not - client's ex once called me on Christmas and wanted to know if I could get theirs done that day.

Lord, deliver me!

• Like 7

Something new today.  Extremely OCD lady wanted me to explain how every number on every line was calculated on form 6251 AMT.   I let her grind on me for about 10 minutes and then told her that I could prove every number on the form, but would need to put the return on extension.  She and hubby are due to receive a five figure refund, so she finally dropped it.  

• Like 5

Email from a client today, with questions about the partnership return filed in early March.  Wanted to know why figures differed from what they gave me in a couple of places.  We went through it all *at the time* - personal estimated tax payments are NOT a deduction to the partnership.  Assets are depreciated, NOT expensed (increasing income every year or we might have gone Section 179), etc.... 

Told them by return email I am NOT answering any questions about already-filed returns until after 4/24.  And made a note to hike their fee for next year!

• Like 9

Oh, and I got a call from an inquirer, too, today.  

Taking new clients?  

Only if willing to go on extension.  

Oh.  Was hoping to file on time.  

Word of advice:  anyone competent is ONLY doing extensions for new clients this week.  If they say they can file you on time, they are NOT competent.  

Oh.  Huh.  Click.  

(me thinking:  good riddance; what a bozo!)

• Like 6

I am so glad that my husband is so wonderful about taking the time to talk to my clients when they don't insist on seeing me. Most of them love him and he is very sympathetic to all of their aches and pains. and has been around this long enough that he can answer simple questions.  I have really missed him the past three days, because he has been too sick to take them. I am hoping that he will be well enough to see them tomorrow. If my three cats could show them where to sign and take their payment, bunches of them would just go see them. 

• Like 5

Been having problems with Comcast email all last week due to their new platform issues, must be the Raven, but up and running now at 2;30am and I read an email from a longtime client asking if I could do his brother's return.  Says he doesn't have much, single father, 1 kid, 1 W2, small side business, and he gets EIC, tired of HRB ripping him off.  I could only smile when I write, sorry, no.

• Like 6

And this one the other day, a rich guy, wants me to evaluate what's better, leasing or buying 162K Tesla.  Mind you, he loves free stuff, like advice (that I only add on to his return), so my answer is, too expensive, get a Prius.  He took a lady from Match.com to a free buffet at happy hour, and he wonders why relationships don't last.

• Like 7

The things that run thru this thread.

One, we are some funny people....

Two, We hate to be imposed on....

Three...  Don't tell me: "You must be busy!"  My reply has become almost standard: "If I am not BUSY this time of year, *I* am probably not that good at what *I* do!..."

That usually makes them think.

Rich

• Like 8

OK, you might remember the client I posted about who self prepared her 2015 and put a question mark in the PTC line?  Well, I finished the amended return.  She comes to her appointment and starts by insisting that we go over every line and that she would want to take it home and suggest changes after her review.  I am thinking I want to fire this client.  I had already spent a few hours entering the return the incorrect way and then entering it correctly.  I went through everything she had and put a damn good return together with no question marks on it.  Now she wants to review every frikkin' line and take it home to make sure I did it correctly.

So I walk her through the changes I made.  Took about 25 minutes to explain why she could not take mileage and a portion of actual car expenses and why every trip to Starbucks and Micky D's is not a valid meal expense.

Get ready for it.....

Here is the good part.....

She broke down into tears.  She was so relieved to get this taken care of and she understood everything I did.  She felt like she was finally getting a straight answer to her questions, even if she did not like the answers.  She said she had been praying for this to work out because she did not know what to do.

I have a client for life.  She has peace of mind.  Win - Win.

This is why I do this crap.  Sometimes we don't see the blessing that we are giving, or getting, until we come out of the darkness.

Rita - no hugs from you for this one. 

Tom
Newark, CA

• Like 10

1 hour ago, BulldogTom said:

I went through everything she had and put a damn good return together with no question marks on it.

Crying here, too.  OMG that is the best thing I've read in a long time.  This is what we do - damn good returns with no question marks on them.  I don't know about the slackers who decide what to do based on audit risk.  That's bullshit.  But I'm happy to have no question marks.

• Like 10

14 hours ago, BLACK BART said:

If you weren't better looking than I am the above could be my mirror image -- went through the details of three funerals, one operation, and the extended prognosis for another.  One other windjammer NEVER has to file, but stops by every year "just to check" and ALWAYS asks "Will there be any charge on that?" (This time there IS.)

To top off the day a 30-year client ($250 fee) let me know her daughter (who gets in out of the rain and that's about it) will be doing her taxes this time.  Don't know if they'll be missed or not - client's ex once called me on Christmas and wanted to know if I could get theirs done that day.

Lord, deliver me!

Correction: My wife (she's mighty noticin') says I tend to get irritable and exaggerate the injustices flooding in at this time of year and could substitute for either character in "Grumpy Old Men", so she corrected me: "It was one funeral, one cremation, and one visitation; although I was glad to see you finally charge "Never-Filer" a fee. The plight and details of the operationee were heart-rending although she later mentioned it was a former sister-in-law she barely knew. The now-gone, 30-year client's spouse didn't  say he wanted it done that Christmas day; you inferred that because he asked "if you were busy that day" (I was!). :(

On the bright side, the daughter's that girl who called us last year for help on her EZ -- chances are high we'll be doing a $300 1040X on this semi-complex case." :D   

• Like 6